SoH Mal Armoured Spearhead 2.5k

Rangaman

Recently been tempted with the idea of an all tank force using minimal "elite" infantry with air support, I've gone through multiple lists using different HQs and troop choices but I think this is the best I've come up with so far.

+++ New Roster (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (140pts) +

Maloghurst the Twisted (140pts)
Master of the Legion [Armoured Spearhead]

+ Troops (1555pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (530pts) [Furious Charge, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, 2x Plasma Gun, 2x Power Weapon]
Land Raider Phobos [Extra Armour]
Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Weapon]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (530pts) [Furious Charge, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, 2x Plasma Gun, 2x Power Weapon]
Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Weapon]

Reaver Attack Squad (495pts) [Artificer Armour, 3x Power Weapon, 8x Reavers]

+ Heavy Support (475pts) +

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (300pts)
Legion Predator Tank [Executioner Plasma Cannon, Lascannons]
Legion Predator Tank [Executioner Plasma Cannon, Lascannons]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (175pts) [Lascannons]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XVI: Sons of Horus]

+ Lord of War (330pts) +

Sub-orbital Strike Wing (330pts)
Imperial Avenger Strike Fighter [battle Servitor Control]

Created with BattleScribe

All up we have 16 Lascannons plus the Sicarans main gun for heavy targets, with Predator Executioners and flying Avenger Bolt cannons for infantry targets. Aside from the glaring lack of Anti-tank on the Veterans and Reavers, does this list look semi-competitive? My meta doesn't use Meltaguns at all so I don't have any need for Armoured Ceramite and I have yet to see any anti-air apart from one Deredeo.

Basically, I am on the verge of impulse buying three Landraiders and I need input on whether it will be a worthwhile investment or not, thanks for looking biggrin.png

I'm working on an Alpha Legion army with 3X10 Breachers, each in a Land Raider Proteus. Can't say that LR's are particularly competitive, but there's something to be said for a wall of AV14 - some people just won't know how to deal with it! :) I'd definitely invest in dozer blades for them though.

"Armoured Spearhead" is one of those Rites of War that is just... meh. You can pretty much do it while running another Rite of War, like "Armoured Breakthrough"! It makes Predators into Troops and Sicarans into Elites, and then you can get 3 Land Raiders as your Heavy Support choices. Just a wild suggestion. ;)

You've made one critical error - plasma guns. They're Rapid Fire weapons, so if your Vets disembark the LR's and shoot with them, the unit cannot then charge. Go for meltaguns, or better yet, more power weapons.

Finally, do you already own the Avengers? I had a look at your plog (very nice, by the way) and I didn't see any. They're cool models, but taking a Sub-Orbital Strike Wing isn't ideal, as you give up a VP for each Flyer you lose. The Primaris-Lightning is MUCH better, and you have all your Fast Attack slots free still...

Yea the plan is to have so much armour to eliminate that it will be overwhelming. For some reason i was thinking of the Plasma as assault 2 so will remove those...and the Avengers I do own, havent been built yet, maybe i can proxy them as Lightnings.

Either way, Landraiders seem like a good choice?

I think a lot of people consider Land Raiders overpriced, but I still like them. They're one of those iconic Horus Heresy tanks! :)

If you're taking Avengers still, maybe take some extra weapons. They're set up to be anti-infantry (the bolt cannon is a MEQ killer) or anti-tank (lascannons & Tank Hunters). I reckon anti-infantry will suit you better, so missile launchers maybe?

And disregard my suggestion of "Armoured Breakthrough" - everything needs to take Dedicated Transports, if possible. :/

Thanks for the feedback Caillum, I've adjusted parts of the list to suit. Swapped the Reaver squad for another Vet squad (slightly cheaper for essentially the same thing) and gave the Sergeants Powerfists, added dozer blades to the Landraiders, also added extra armour to the Preds and Aux drive to the Sicaran. I think with the Avengers I will use them for anti-infantry but prioritize rear facing anti-armour so the Avenger can benefit from the Tank Hunters.

+++ Mal Armoured Spearhead 2.5k (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (140pts) +

+ Troops (1515pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (510pts) [Furious Charge, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, 2x Power Weapon]
Land Raider Phobos [Dozer Blade, Extra Armour]
Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (510pts) [Furious Charge, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, 2x Power Weapon]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (495pts) [Furious Charge, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, 2x Power Weapon]

+ Heavy Support (515pts) +

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (330pts)
Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Extra Armour, Lascannons]
Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Extra Armour, Lascannons]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (185pts) [Auxiliary Drive, Lascannons]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (330pts) +

Sub-orbital Strike Wing (330pts)

What do you think? Would I be better off only using 2 Veteran squads and using the 500pts elsewhere?

Another thought crossed my mind, what would three outflanking (taking Outflank on the Veterans) Landraiders be like? With the Sons of Horus reserve re-roll for 1's this list could potentially have all 3 Landraiders coming in from the opponents flanks, but I am not sure if that would be counter-productive by essentially splitting an already small force into even smaller forces spread across the table. Thoughts?

If you did that, you want to max out the Reserves manipulation. A Damocles will give you a 2+ re-rollable Reserves roll. :) Iron Hands can also Outflank their vehicles in Head of the Gorgon, and it's particularly cool with Land Raiders.

Because of the size of army, you probably want to have 3 scoring units. Maloghurst is scoring too though, so he could hide in the previously mentioned Damocles on a home objective, while 2 units of Veterans (or Reavers) Outflank and go for other ones. That would leave you with around 400 points - maybe a Leviathan in a DDP? :)

Try this on for size:

Sons of Horus "Armoured Breakthrough"

Space Marine Legions

HQ

Maloghurst The Twisted: Rite of War (Armoured Spearhead)

Damocles Command Rhino

TROOPS

10 Reavers: Reaver Chieftain (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs); 9 Reavers; 7 × chainaxe; 2 × power weapon 267

Land Raider Phobos: dozer blade 255

10 Reavers: Reaver Chieftain (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs); 9 Reavers; 8 × chainaxe; 1 power weapon 258

Land Raider Phobos: dozer blade 255

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought Talon

Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought: 1 Leviathan siege drill; 1 cyclonic melta lance; armoured ceramite; phosphex discharger 330

Dreadnought Drop Pod

Sicaran Battle Tank: dozer blade; lascannon sponsons 180

Legion Predator Strike Squadron

Predator: Executioner plasma destroyer; lascannon sponsons; dozer blade 155

Predator: Executioner plasma destroyer; lascannon sponsons; dozer blade 155

LORDS OF WAR

Sub-orbital Strike Wing

Avenger Strike Fighter: two missile launchers 170

Avenger Strike Fighter: two missile launchers 170

Legiones Astartes: Sons of Horus

Force Organisation Chart: Age of Darkness

2,500 points

I was actually having a look at how to get a Damocles Command Rhino into the list to modify my reserve rolls if I went the outflank route. What benefit does a Reaver squad have over a veteran squad? As far as I can see they get Precision strike/shot for an extra 10pts, I suppose it wouldn't make a difference if I used Reavers or Vets in this case. The only thing I don't know about is the Leviathan, I love the model but is it a good investment in this list? Would I need to keep him with the Landraiders for blob protection or just drop him behind the enemy?

Drop him in, murder stuff, drink tears. :P I'm yet to playtest one myself, but from all reports they are absolutely brilliant! If you wanted something else though, an extra Predator and a Vindicator squadron would be pretty brutal.

Reavers having Precision Strikes/Shots over Outflanking Vets is very good for 10 points - helps take out those pesky Apothecaries and heavy/special weapons. They also have access to chainaxes (great against non-Legion armies), the Sergeant has an extra attack AND they can go up to 15 men. Add in the ability to take volkite chargers or combi-weapons with banestrike ammo & jump packs? Great stuff!

Good thing is you can just use the Reaver models as Vets or Reavers, running them however you need to each time you make a list! :)

One option could be removing a vet squad, but adding in a Tactical Support Squad (plasma?) in a land raider Proteus.

Another different unit to add  to the feel and firepower. Transport should get them within 12" to start unlocking that Sweet Death-Dealer BS5 Plasma!

I think personally, Reavers are better than Vets for assault. Plus you can sprinkle Choomy-goodness in liberally.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone over some changes which I hope will be for the better. Replaced two Veteran squads for equal Reaver squads and swapped the last Veteran squad for a PLasma Support squad with a Proteus with Explorator Augury Scanner. Added the Damocles and lost one of the Avenger Fighters which I think is a good swap, plan here is to deploy normally and then Scouting the Proteus to where it is needed most, use its bonus reserve roll with the SoH passive and Damocles Rhino to get my Avenger in turn two then lock down enemy reserves, or I outflank both Reaver squads with their Landraiders for a possible turn two arrival.

+++ Mal Armoured Spearhead 2.5k (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (240pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

+ Troops (1600pts) +

Legion Tactical Support Squad (540pts) [7x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]
Land Raider Proteus [Dozer Blade, Explorator Augury Web, Extra Armour]
Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour]

Reaver Attack Squad (530pts) [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, 3x Power Weapon, 9x Reavers]

Reaver Attack Squad (530pts) [Artificer Armour, Power Fist, 3x Power Weapon, 9x Reavers]

+ Heavy Support (495pts) +

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (310pts)
Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Lascannons]
Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Lascannons]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (185pts) [Auxiliary Drive, Lascannons]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (165pts) +

Sub-orbital Strike Wing (165pts)

• 1 month later...

Ive gone ahead with some final changes to the list which i hope to be running at a local tournament later this year. The AoD book changes have been well balanced in the list with the Landraiders dropping price but the Sicaran and Plasma Preds going up in price...but the biggest change was the HKM price drop and being able to add a Knight. I felt like the older rendition was a bit...unfocused. I had two close combat outflanking units which would leave my heavy guns wide open to assault and this left my army split and in my opinion, easier to isolate and shutdown. Let me know what you think! (The army is exactly 2500pts but Battlescribe has the old HKM price on the Damocles still)

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (2505pts) ++

+ HQ (370pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (110pts) [Hunter-killer Missile]

Legion Centurion (120pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field]

Consul [Master of Signal]

+ Troops (910pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (455pts) [5x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]

Legion Land Raider Proteus [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile, Twin-linked Lascannon]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (455pts) [5x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]

Legion Land Raider Proteus [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile, Twin-linked Lascannon]

+ Heavy Support (795pts) +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (360pts)

Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons]

Legion Predator Tank [Dozer Blade, Executioner Plasma Cannon, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons]

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (215pts) [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (430pts) +

Questoris Knight Styrix (430pts) [Hekaton Siege Claw with twin-linked Rad Cleanser]

I plan on keeping Mal and the MoS in the Damocles for protection, as Mal can score, and to use the MoS to buff the BS of a nearby unit like the Sicaran or Plasma Pred. I am a bit cloudy on Independent Characters though, can two individuals embark a transport if they are not a coherent unit? Or is it possible to group characters together to make a pseudo-unit?

• 1 month later...

In trying to refine this list over the last month I have run into one minor change I would like some opinions on.

The Master of Signal brings his one use bombardment, something the Damocles also brings. For the same points I could potentially swap the MoS for a 5 man Volkite Caliver squad which would fit in the Damocles with Maloghurst. They could then provide ablative wounds for him while having a reasonable ranged gun or they could split off after disembarking, giving me 4 scoring units.

With that change in mind I need to ask, with the Armoured Spearhead rite it says all infantry must be in a transport at the start of the game but it doesn't clarify if that transport must be a dedicated transport, so would I be right in thinking that a Damocles HQ can legally carry a minimum size squad for the start of the game?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have played this list once so far against a Cybernetica army which always seems to be a tough one to beat...was super enjoyable and definitely put him on the backfoot, but I did walk away thinking that I should squeeze some more tanks in...

So now my future list looks something like this:

+++ Mal Armoured Spearhead w/ Falchion (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (240pts) +

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

+ Troops (850pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (425pts) [2x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (425pts) [2x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]

+ Heavy Support (835pts) +

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron (360pts)

Legion Sicaran Battle Tank (215pts) [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannons]

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron (260pts)

Legion Vindicator Tank [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile]

Legion Vindicator Tank [Dozer Blade, Hunter-killer Missile]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (575pts) +

Legion Falchion Super-heavy Tank Destroyer (575pts) [space Marine Legion Crew]

Twin-linked Volcano Cannon [Neutron Wave Capacitor]

My thinking here was that I don't play against anyone with a flyer, only one guy I know of has a lightning. So I dropped the Deredeo, dropped the Styrix because the Falchion is the pinnacle of giant tanks, dropped some combi-meltas from the Veterans and I dropped the Volkite Caliver support squad because at minimum size they just didn't hit hard enough. This allowed me to get a pair of Vindicators as well, which were apparently used quite heavily by the Sons of Horus, so another win there.

Would love to hear some thoughts!

Nice! Good to see it's working out well for you.

Why so many hunter-killer missiles? You'll only get to shoot them at full BS if you stay still (and never at full BS on the Vindicators because of Ordnance). I'd drop them from every tank but the Sicaran and get armoured ceramite and a HKM on the Falchion.

Speaking of the Falchion... hell yeah! It's my favourite Super-heavy! :)

Thanks for the comments guys. So the HKMs are there for first turn shooting since the Preds are usually out of range but the main reason they are on the Vindicators is for weapons destroyed rolls.

Archived