Laz's WIP log [House Raven Imperial Knight]

Lasuria

Hello!

In this thread I’ll be posting my WIP but more than just showing what I did I’m mostly interested in reading what you have to say about my work.

When I joined B&C it was because I was seeking tutorials and inspiration. So I believe the next logical step is to show you what I did so some good Samaritan might help me improve by giving me some much needed advice (there’s only so much that you can accomplish without being reviewed by your peers ^^)

So here goes nothing, my first Imperial Knight! –Which is not really a WIP but I know there is room for improvements so I post it here –

As stated, C&C are more than welcome smile.png

Thank you !

For the scheme I simply followed the Imperial Knight Codex tongue.png I struggled to do it, and the lines are clearly not parallel, but from a TT point of view it is ok-ish I think ... I guess with practice it should be better (and I made the mistake of gluing the ladder rung before painting :/)

I have considered weathering yes, as I think it would help the model blend with it's base but I have never done it and I'm a little bit worried about messing it up :/

I also forgot to talk about varnish ... On the photos I posted I did not sealed the decals in, because I'm aiming for a matt finish but when I applied the lahmian medium on the legs I could still see a bit of the "glossiness" through. As it's my first time varnishing (it's actually my first time for a lot of things on that mini biggrin.png) I don't know if I should add more layers of varnish until the gloss effect is gone or if I did something wrong unsure.png

You can reduce the gloss with successive matt varnishes on top yes, but I don't think you can entirely remove it but should be enough for it to not be noticeable so a couple of coats of matt should be plenty :) Weather is still something I'm figuring out (doesn't help that it's different for each army/colour scheme) but you're already in the right place of the B&C to be asking :tu: With your basing (and Knight) scheme I'd say some Martian dust would look good and won't be difficult to experiment with.

There are proper weathering powders you can get but I've never used them, but they seem pretty simple in that you apply them and then seal and you're done! Failing that there's always some judicious dry brushing :)

Archived