Drop pods - deathwind launcher or storm bolter?

LutherMax

I normally don't pay the extra for the deathwind launcher (or whatever it's called) but occasionally get lucky with pot shots from the storm bolter - to the point where opponents actually get fixated on destroying the pod even when there are juicier targets around!

So it got me thinking - would this distraction effect happen even more if it was the more threatening missile launcher inside..?

How do you guys equip yours?

Stormbolters unless I really need to fill points. I prefer to drop them in advantageous spots (linebreaker, LoS or movement blockers) to make them more of a target instead of dropping points all over the place.

Vs nids I think the DW has a lot of utility. S5 against t3 is wounding on 2s, and a large blast will hit a good chunk of a squad. Most of the small gribblies only have a 5/6+ save, so ap- isn't that huge a worry, and depending on your model placement, they'll probably have to get quite close to you, hopefully bringing them into the unfortunately all too short range.

Like every upgrade, you need to weigh it against whether or not it will add value to your force and whether or not you can afford it. Also the DML will increase the Drop Pod's target priority against non-MEQ armies so you need to take that into account as well.

Me? I'm honestly easy but I do try and squeeze it in on, say, my DC lists. Don't underestimate the storm bolter though! My vehicle storm bolters are honest-to-Emperor, infamous.

Archived