Basing my slowgrowing DA painted force

sneakybamsen

Brothers,

I need your advice. I know some of the people following these pages have some very impressively painted armies, and I am personally slowly working on getting my DA up to speed on the table. I'll not post pictures here, as I'd like to keep those to myself untill I can claim to have all of it painted (which will be a long while, as I am getting closer and closer to the magic 10K battleforged mark).

I'm giving my greenwing models a fairly dark look (black bolters instead of red as most do, dark toned caliban green), my deathwing are black, not bone. So I would like advice on what I should use for basing these guys. Was planning on getting the basing stuff from The Army Painter, as it doesn't require me to paint it myself (way too many models unpainted, so trying to save time), but I'm not sure what will work best for my army.

Would a snow/frozen theme be a good idea? Something more like sandy wasteland with tufts of grass? Badlands theme with rocks? Ideas and input are much appreciated, also if you have pictures of what you've done for inspiration, it would be awesome.

Best Regards

Sneaky

I usually use shaded mudland with grass. It reminds me of home.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p553/GreyRavenC/DSCN26811_zpspijktnf0.jpg

For my next army I'm going to attempt the new dried, cracked earth with some tufts of grass. Should be interesting.

Dark models on pale-toned bases would look great in contrast terms.

I would add a little dust/weathering on the lower legs to help blend them into the base though.

I also strongly encourage you ensure that there is some decent lining and/or highlighting on the models too - this is important so that the models don't lose detail visually. What I mean is this: if you have a single colour like dark green, your eye picks up small subtle details more easily that when it's placed next to bright areas that create high contrast. The high contrast makes it harder for your eye to focus on the much more subtle colour differences. So whilst placing dark models on light bases is a good idea for visual interest, you need to be careful that it doesn't "undo" your efforts on the rest of the model by being too distracting.

Hope that helps, and that it makes sense! :)

Dark models on pale-toned bases would look great in contrast terms.

I would add a little dust/weathering on the lower legs to help blend them into the base though.

I also strongly encourage you ensure that there is some decent lining and/or highlighting on the models too - this is important so that the models don't lose detail visually. What I mean is this: if you have a single colour like dark green, your eye picks up small subtle details more easily that when it's placed next to bright areas that create high contrast. The high contrast makes it harder for your eye to focus on the much more subtle colour differences. So whilst placing dark models on light bases is a good idea for visual interest, you need to be careful that it doesn't "undo" your efforts on the rest of the model by being too distracting.

Hope that helps, and that it makes sense! smile.png

Thanks for your advice. I have the highlighting covered, I feel, so I'm not too fuzzed about that, I have had the same thought as you regarding the contrast between model and color on the base, but I might be concerned frozen/snow might be too bright for my army. Perhaps a desert-like theme is best. At least there's plenty of green already =)

You can also try some more coloured bases, like orangey-red?

There's a good examples of dark/black Terminators on such bases here by Captain Semper, and here by Tormnetus.

While it's defeinitely beautiful work, the orange look does not appeal to me personally =)

Archived