War Convocation Please Review

As the title suggests, I am hoping to run a war convocation and would appreciate some feedback on the proposed list.

Quick rules summation for those unaware of the War convocation:

• All weapons and wargear upgrades are free
  • Plasma weapons do not overheat
  • All units benefit from the canticles of the omnissiah rule
  • Re-roll war lord trait if the warlord is tech priest dominus

Okay, to the list:

ADEPTUS MECHANICUS WAR CONVOCATION

1x Tech Priest Dominus

Wargear undecided

1x Kataphron Breachers

Heavy Arc Rifles

Hydraulic Claws

1x Kataphron Destroyers

Heavy Grav-Canons

Cognis Flamers

420 pts 

SKITARII BATTLE MANIPLE

1x Skitarii Vanguard

-5x extra men

-3x Plasma Calivers

-Omnispex

-Flavour Sergeant to taste

1x Skitarii Rangers

-2x Transuranic Arquebuses 

-Omnispex

1x Sicarian Ruststalkers

1x Sicarian Infiltrators

1x Sydonian Dragoon

-1x Phospher Serpenta

1x Onager Duncrawler

-Icarus Storm canon array

645pts

LORD OF WAR

1x Imperial Knight Castigator

380pts

TOTAL COST

Aiming for 1600 points for GW Tourny

ADDITIONS

1x Vanguard squad

-2x Plasma Calivers

-Omnispex

Onager Dune Crawler or Sydonian Dragoon an IRONSTRIDER BALLISTARII with Cognis Lascanon (free of course).

The upgrades are very liberal at the minute as they are free. I am sure it is not helpful with so many loose ends (i.e the sarges) but I would like to know if the list has potential. The meta at tournies is Riptides and jetbikes. How do you think this list will do as a take all comers but with a slight leaning towards killing those ******* Riptides?

One Love,

IFS

How will you load out your Sicarians? Both varieties.

What side weapon will the destroyers have?

Adding a second onager seems like an inefficient option. It would have to be in the same unit as the first, which would probably be overkill. Then again if you expect flyer wings, great option.

Hey chaps,

Thanks for the responses. Sicarian Ruststalkers will have the chord claw, grenades and the razor sword.The Sicarian Infiltrators will have the Taser Goads (as aren't they better?).

Destroyer side weapon is the cognis flamer, just for that lovely overwatch. I have amended the original list to incorporate this.

Great point about the onager, completely forgot that. So would you suggest adding 5 men to the existing 5 man vanguard unit/ a sydonian dragoon : either with ironstrider with cognis lascanon?

Or perhaps even adding the 5 vanguard, then taking another 5 man squad and a ballistarii?

As for the knight, he is permitted in games of Warhammer 40k as a lord of war choice. There is a Forge World pdf. I can email the guys at the tourny to confirm, if needs be.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Warhammer_40000/Cerastus_Knight_Castigator.pdf

Thanks in advance,

IFS

Well if you expect a lot of jet bikes (as well as fliers, FMCs and skimmers) I would put another Icarus Onager in.

I would also throw in that second Dragoon too.

Also I believe Abraxus is right - it has to be an Oathsworn Knight, unless you can get TO approval.

(Ps this should be in the army list section)

Not only that but the rules specify that you can't take more of them than other knights, so you'd have to have at least one other knight to take it.

I think for a take all comers list, I would give infiltrators power swords. That AP3 would be sorely missed every time you played against marines.

Could you use the extra points to bring more kataphrons? They're extremely versatile and since they'd be in the Battle Congregation you could give them free upgrades. I would either do that or increase your unit of dragoons/balistarii. I would probably also choose dragoons since you'll have plenty of shooting from everything else you're bringing, and they're the sturdiest CC we have.

Thanks for the responses,

Yes I see the point about the knight know. I forgot it was the actual Oathsworn detachment and not just a knight (other wise I could run him as a solo lord of war).

This buggers me a bit as I already have the castigator and he is almost finished. Would be a shame if he didn't get to come. I guess I will email them and then inform you guys of the result. If the answer is a no (most probably), then I will have to go without the convocation I think.

I could bring more Kataphron Breachers yes but I am not sure I will be facing that many vehicles (as both load outs are anti-armour). The anti-infantry Kataphron Destroyers are 165 pts, so a bit much sadly.

Comparing all the tournies I have been to now (I am UK based), the predominant force is most definitely Tau and Riptide spam: closely followed by knight lists and eldar spam. Why do people not bring fun, varied lists anymore :D

I like the idea of the extra onager and dragoon, but wouldn't the onager have to go in the same unit as the original? I am not a huge fan of this as normally vehicle squadrons are hit by enough to overkill one. I learnt that with IG when Russ squadrons first hit the scene!

Have sent the email.

Your advice is very helpful and I am most grateful.

Thanks,

IFS

Sorry I have been absent.

Thanks for the feedback. I have received confirmation from GW that I cannot take the castigator in this formation.

However! In the response, the chap informed me of an upcoming event in early September which is 1750 points. So I give to you the new order! (or list..).

ADEPTUS MECHANICUS WAR CONVOCATION

1x Tech Priest Dominus

Wargear undecided

1x Kataphron Breachers

Heavy Arc Rifles

Hydraulic Claws

1x Kataphron Destroyers

Heavy Grav-Canons

Cognis Flamers

420 pts 

SKITARII BATTLE MANIPLE

1x Skitarii Vanguard

-2x Plasma Calivers

-Omnispex

1x Skitarii Rangers

-2x Plasma Calivers

-Omnispex

1x Sicarian Ruststalkers

1x Sicarian Infiltrators

1x Sydonian Dragoon

-1x Phospher Serpenta

1x Onager Duncrawler

-Icarus Storm canon array

600pts

IMPERIAL KNIGHT OATHSWORN DETACHMENT

1x Imperial Knight Gallant

705pts

TOTAL

1725pts

What say you men? Will it work?

This is a link for anyone who is interested in the work I have produced so far in the furtherance of Ryza.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskD8eFyq

Good hunting!

IFS

My suggestions would be:

1x Tech Priest Dominus

Wargear undecided ERADICATION RAY, MACROSTUBBER, RAINMENT OR SCRIERSKULL PERSPICACTUS

1x Kataphron Breachers REMOVE & REPLACE W. SECOND SQUAD OF DESTROYERS W. GRAV AND PHOSPHOR

Heavy Arc Rifles

Hydraulic Claws

1x Kataphron Destroyers

Heavy Grav-Canons

Cognis Flamers

SKITARII BATTLE MANIPLE

1x Skitarii Vanguard TAKE MAX SQUAD

-2x Plasma Calivers ADDITIONAL PLASMA

-Omnispex

-Flavour Sergeant to taste CONVERSION FIELD, ARC MAUL, PATER RADIUM, DIGITAL WEAPONS

1x Skitarii Rangers

-2x Plasma Calivers REPLACE W. 2x ARC RIFLE

-Omnispex

-Flavour Sergeant to taste CONVERSION FIELD, ARC MAUL, SKULL OF TESLA, DIGITAL WEAPONS

1x Sicarian Ruststalkers CHORDCLAW& RAZOR

-Flavour Sergeant to taste CONVERSION FIELD, DIGITAL WEAPONS, OMNISSIENT MASK, DATASPIKE

1x Sicarian Infiltrators TASER GOADS & BLASTERS

-Flavour Sergeant to taste PHASE TASER, CONVERSION FIELD, DIGITAL WEAPONS,

1x Sydonian Dragoon BALLISTARII MIGHT WORK ALSO

-1x Phospher Serpenta

1x Onager Duncrawler

-Icarus Storm canon array REPLACE W NEUTRON LASER

IMPERIAL KNIGHT OATHSWORN DETACHMENT

1x Imperial Knight Gallant IRONSTORM MISSILE POD, MELTA

Wow very comprehensive review, thank you Neigorath!

I have the points to take the destroyers over breachers, but I am concerned about all knight lists. I think the additional haywire would be better? Monstrous creature spam (aka Tau) I think is not too large a problem for this list. Perhaps I am wrong.

I don't have the points for the vanguard to be taken to 10 sadly as the tourny is 1750.

The rangers, do you think the haywire here is still need if I keep the Breachers? I am playing as Ryza (plasma world) so I feel some loyalty to that state of matter :)

Knight Gallant using iron over storm missile launcher? The meta in the UK would befit the storm spear I think. I shall play test with your suggestion though. I think the castigator is already anti horde.

With the wargear, very much approve the suggestions, however, I think I would take the refractor field over the conversion field simply because I fear blinding myself :D I shall play test though, see how it goes for me.

Onager dunecrawler needs the icarus weapon I think, else I have no AA.

Speaking of AA, I have the points to upgrade my dragoon to a ballistarii and throw a lascanon on it for free? I love the dragoon though.

Thank you very much for responding

IFS

I ran this in a tournament that had a cap of 1750 pts for certain lists.

Army Description: War Convocation

Battle Concregation:

HQ1: Tech Priest Dominus (105) Digital Weapons (0) Infoslave Skull (0) Conversion Field (0) Scyerskull (0) Eradication Ray (0) [105]

Troop1: Kataprhon Destroyers (165) 3 Heavy Grav Cannons (0) 3 Cognis Flamers (0) [165]
Troop2: Kataprhon Destroyers 3 Heavy Grav Cannons [165]

Skitarii Battle Maniple:

Troop1: 10 Skitarii Vanguard (100) 3 Plasma Caliver (0) Omnispex (0) Arc Maul (0) Conversion Field (0) Digital Weapons (0) Pater Radium (0) Warlord [100]
Troop2: 5 Skitarii Rangers (65) 2 Arc Rifle (0) Omnispex (0) Arc Maul (0) Conversion Field (0) Digital Weapons (0) Skull of Elder Nikola (0) [65]

Elite1: 5 Ruststalkers (160) Conversion Field (0) Dataspike (0) Omniscent Mask (0) [160]
Elite2: 5 Infiltartors (185) Flechette Blasters&Taser Goads (0) Infoslave Skull (0) Conversion Field (0) Digital Weapons (0) Phase Taser (0) [185]

Heavy1: Ballistarii (55) TL-Cognis Lascannon (0) [55]
Heavy2: Onager Dune Crawler (90) Neutron Laser (0) Cognis Heavy Stubber (0) Mindscanner Probe (0) Cognis Manipulator (0) Smoke Launchers (0) [90]

Oathsworn Detachment:

LoW1: Knight Gallant (325) Ironstorm Missile Pod (0) Meltagun (0) [325]
LoW2: Knight Gallant (325) Ironstorm Missile Pod (0) Meltagun (0) [325]

I went 4-16, 5-15. 16-5. 20-0 and 0-20 with this list. (first two games against CabalStar and Necrons, then again Cabalstar and Necrons, knew how to beat them the second time around. Last game was against a hard counter, massed drop pod ignores cover melta from Sisters+BA+LoTD)

Maybe if worrying about flyers you could change the Perspicactus to rainment which gives you 5+ snapshots. Combine with Benediction of Omniscience and not much is going to fly for long.  The ironstorm pods are great for hunting spiders. Double destroyers have been the thing from what we have tested here in Finland. And yes, blinding myself with the conversion fields is totally a thing... Even with the rerolls I rolled stupid high last tournament.

Really interesting list. I am thinking about changing the weapon on the onager. 

However, the icarus is great vs fliers and skimmers. In the UK, that is really the meta. Cool to hear about Finland though! 

Main contenders are Eldar with wraith 'insert' and skimmers, Tau Riptide (heavy, heavy amounts) and all knight lists. I think if I took away the icarus, it would really hurt if I came up against Eldar or DE.

Also, surprisingly, ork hordes also exist in Brit tournies. In this instance, heavy arc destroyers have more utility than the grav chaps. What do you think of Plasma destroyers?

Again, I like the idea of the Perspicactus, which will be in there(!), but skimmers really hurt me.

Do you think you might detail how you beat CronCabalstar? 

I am not ignoring your advice sir, just trying to offer counter points. Hope this doesn't annoy you!

Thanks for your feed back, once more

IFS

Main contenders are Eldar with wraith 'insert' and skimmers, Tau Riptide (heavy, heavy amounts) and all knight lists. I think if I took away the icarus, it would really hurt if I came up against Eldar or DE.

Also, surprisingly, ork hordes also exist in Brit tournies. In this instance, heavy arc destroyers have more utility than the grav chaps. What do you think of Plasma destroyers?

I agree about the Icarus against Eldar/DE.  It blows all of their vehicles to pieces very nicely.

Remember that in a war convocation the plasma doesn't get hot which means plasmaphrons are very, very nice and versatile!

Plasma is more versatile since it can handle anything short of the toughest AV. It can wound MCs better than a haywire, and it can penetrate easier (up to AV12), but glances most vehicles less than the haywire would. I would make sure you have at least some haywire in there, but plasma is definitely more versatile.

Archived