Vengeful Spirit, Horus Heresy series, BA depiction :(

Helias_Tancred

I just finished reading this book of the Horus Heresy series. When I first started it and it made mention of the Blood Angel contingent on Molech and the first scene showing them prior to the fighting, I was stoked. As the book moved onward and the fighting got heavy I was really looking forward to what our brothers would do in their fight against the Sons of Horus. Then I was let down. Very let down.

Anyone else feel the same way about how we were depicted in this book? It also felt like by the time we got to the part where the Blood Angels came in, McNeil was running out of time or pages and hurriedly rushed our scene and really made something that had the potential to be very cool to be very .... lame.

Besides Fear to Tread are there some other Horus Heresy novels where we are done right?

Yes.i was disappointed too. It seems to be a problem Graham McNeil has that he tries to show the first instances of everything. In this case, painting the armour black, overcharging the engines.

He attempted an ADB style 'surf the rhino into battle' from what I recall, but it felt a little flat.

The BA added nothing to the story whatsoever.

What was so bad about the depiction? I don't mind spoilers.

There was quite a cool build up with the captain climbing things and jumping off them as a form of meditation or something along those lines. Then the Sons of Horus attack Molech and just as the Red Angel (daemon thing) is deployed to the field it drives the Blood Angels insane and they commit suicide before it controls them. Every. Last. One.

It has been a while since I read it but it is something like that.

Holy beep, we are just a joke to both gw and black library it seems. Apparently it's a huge mystery and really hard to do BA right.

Though I guess it's better they were able to kill themselves before turning to chaos? Still sounds very disappointing to say the least...

They carved a path through the heart of the army. Far beyond what anyone would have expected of them. The captain went blade master and completely owned half a platoon by himself. Then when they face the ultimate test and their very gene code is perverted and used against them they don't give in and remain pure. Horus is again amazed and enraged that he cannot get ANY Blood Angel to fall.

(I agree that the writing could have been better)

Also I can't wait to see what they do with the Red Angel.

R

I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read all the books where he makes an appearance. Just the way he is portrayed and the story behind the Red Angel fits for me. (I could list a few reasons but don't know how to hide spoilers lol)

Meros on becoming the Red Angel is portrayed as having wings and dark shattered blood red armour.

The Sanguinor is not Primarch sized but has an aura that is beyond simple artificer armour that would hint at Azkelleon.

The Sanguinors appearances are recorded by the Chaplains and the Sanguinary Guard believe him to be Azkelleon, both logically mean that neither of them know who he is, thus most likely he is not a marine picked at the time to don the armour.

The way he appears when needed, Blood Angels psychic gift runs strongly so possibly they summon him when in desperate need.

Just my thoughts but I think it's more likely than Azkelleon or Sanguinius' soul.

Meros on becoming the Red Angel is portrayed as having wings and dark shattered blood red armour.

The Sanguinor is not Primarch sized but has an aura that is beyond simple artificer armour that would hint at Azkelleon.

The Sanguinors appearances are recorded by the Chaplains and the Sanguinary Guard believe him to be Azkelleon, both logically mean that neither of them know who he is, thus most likely he is not a marine picked at the time to don the armour.

The way he appears when needed, Blood Angels psychic gift runs strongly so possibly they summon him when in desperate need.

Just my thoughts but I think it's more likely than Azkelleon or Sanguinius' soul.

but there is a HH short where they actually choose a guy that they then call the Sanguinor, and they permanently cover his face with a mask. Not to mention the wings are artificial wings, not real ones. Not to mention that by this point, Azkaelon would have ascended with the power of Sanguinius in order to put off an aura

I am so willing for that to be true, because that would make Sanguinius and Azkalleon even cooler in my estimation. I know they choose a guard as his herald. But why would the guard believe it to be Azkelleon if it was a different gaurdsman?

and how has the sanguinor survived so long if he is just an astartes bascially posing as sanguinius? and how does he just appear from nowhere?

Arkangilos: what does this mean

"Azkaelon would have ascended with the power of Sanguinius in order to put off an aura" What do you mean he ascended? i literally have no idea what happens to him, so not like disagreeing, just really curious

Now that i read Rafen's interpretation, it sounds like the Blood angels did some work despite being completely outnumbered. Don't get what the fuss is about now. When someone said commit suicide i was picturing something completely different, not them charging right into horus's army and still messing stuff up!

and how has the sanguinor survived so long if he is just an astartes bascially posing as sanguinius? and how does he just appear from nowhere?

"Azkaelon would have ascended with the power of Sanguinius in order to put off an aura" What do you mean he ascended? i literally have no idea what happens to him, so not like disagreeing, just really curious

Now that i read Rafen's interpretation, it sounds like the Blood angels did some work despite being completely outnumbered. Don't get what the fuss is about now. When someone said commit suicide i was picturing something completely different, not them charging right into horus's army and still messing stuff up!

they did commit suicide, rejecting the offer of the Red Angel to become his chaos beserkers as they felt the pull of the curse which the Red Angel is literally made of. Think the strongest manifestation of the red thirst you could possibly have

they did commit suicide, rejecting the offer of the Red Angel to become his chaos beserkers as they felt the pull of the curse which the Red Angel is literally made of. Think the strongest manifestation of the red thirst you could possibly have

how did they commit suicide specifically? You made it sound like they died charging Horus's men. Were they fighting and then felt the pull of the Red Angel and shot themselves instead of falling to chaos? Or was it just them rejecting the red angel which meant certain death that was the act of suicide?

how did they commit suicide specifically? You made it sound like they died charging Horus's men. Were they fighting and then felt the pull of the Red Angel and shot themselves instead of falling to chaos? Or was it just them rejecting the red angel which meant certain death that was the act of suicide?

they tore into the centre/right flank cutting very deep and sending them into disarray. The red Angel appeared and they all felt the pull of the thirst and knew they wouldn't be able to resist it for long. So taking their lead from the captain they all reversed their swords and shoved them through their jaws and into their brains.

Yes.i was disappointed too. It seems to be a problem Graham McNeil has that he tries to show the first instances of everything. In this case, painting the armour black, overcharging the engines.

He attempted an ADB style 'surf the rhino into battle' from what I recall, but it felt a little flat.

The BA added nothing to the story whatsoever.

Yeah McNeil did us no favors in that novel. What he did with the Blood Angels was borderline corny and incompetent. 

Archived