How do we feel about Scouts now...?

Fahlnor

So I'm building Lost Patrol, mostly with intent to play with my nephews but also for the models... I am wondering though.

It comes with a Heavy-Bolter scout and Shotgun scouts. Do any of you ever use either of these and what are they exactly good for?

I'm used to fielding an entire CCW scout squad or an entire Sniper scout squad.

The poison template on the heavy bolter is nifty!

Shotguns are sort of a "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" approach.

Because we have furious charge you in essence exchange a S4 attack that hits on a 3+ for a S5 attack that hits on variable (3 or 4 normally), BUT you also get an additional S4 attack in later rounds of combat, but the overwatch will be weaker and you may gib your charge from extra shotgun attacks?

The poison template on the heavy bolter is nifty!

Shotguns are sort of a "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" approach.

Because we have furious charge you in essence exchange a S4 attack that hits on a 3+ for a S5 attack that hits on variable (3 or 4 normally), BUT you also get an additional S4 attack in later rounds of combat, but the overwatch will be weaker and you may gib your charge from extra shotgun attacks?

Ok wow... I didn't even realize they can take hellfire shells. What do you mean about the additional S4 attacks in later rounds?

Well you take a shotgun or you take a BP & CCW, so they breakdown as follows when you are 12" away from an enemy:

Shotgun:

• 2 S4 Shots at BS4
  • 2 S5 Attacks on the Charge at WS4
  • 1 S4 Attack in subsequent rounds of combat
  • 5 Attacks total over two turns.

BP & CCW:

• 1 S4 Shot at BS4
  • 3 S5 Attacks on the Charge at WS4
  • 2 S4 Attacks in subsequent rounds of combat
  • 6 Attacks total over two turns.

But because of the extra shooting attacks from the shotgun you may see less return attacks from the enemy in the ensuing assault, OR even kill too many to get an easy charge.

For me, it's a no brainier - especially against weaker foes where the combat attacks will hit on a 3+ (like shooting would). But even against stronger combat opponents, the extra attack in combat evens it out a little when hitting on 4+ and the attacks wound easier, being S5.

Thanks for the breakdown Charlo, I have a new question hah.

Now that I've actually opened the box and read the rules, you can equip these 5 scouts any way you like and it won't effect the game (they roll 1 dice regardless)...

So - what's better (for 40k) shotgun or bolters?

I already have ccw scouts and sniper scouts fyi.

I'm inclined to say Shotguns, as you infiltraite so will probably always be near something and the option to assault, when we are an assault based army with FC is always stellar.

But AP5 of Bolters and the longer range mean they can camp mid-field objectives very well with Camo-cloaks, being essentially cheap Tac marines in cover.

Archived