Beginning Dark Angels

bleedcrimson

Hi everyone,

I've been out of the hobby for over a year now due to the fact that last September i came clean to family and friends about an addiction that was destroying me. During the worst stages i sold my Space Marine army as i needed the money. Here i am now though, 9 months later, recovered, ready and rearing to go.

I'm starting fresh with an army and really want to start Dark Angels. I want to do a Deathwing themed army as the terminators are easy to come by through eBay with so many Dark Vengeance sets on there.

I'm looking to set up a Deathwing strike force with 5 units of Deathwing and a Librarian in Termie army as HQ. My question is, what is the best thing to put with them? I only vaguely understand formations and detachments. Was thinking of putting a dew tactical squads to hold objectives but how do i put this with the strike force.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the newbie question, the game has changed a lot since i last played it.

The Tactical Squads alone could not be part of the formation as written, because they are not available in the Formation Org Chart. However, if you have a second HQ, such as a Chaplain, to go with them, then you could run your Deathwing formation attached to a small Dark Angels Greenwing Combined Arms Detachment (or even look to fill out some of a Lion's Blade) to still make a Battle-forged army.

If you don't care about Battle-forged and/or don't mind Unbound, then you could simply run the formation and tack a few Tactical Squads on there and boom, you have a legal Unbound force to play with.

Some of this revolves around where you are playing, as some people are very strangely wrapped up in hating Unbound even though it is part of the core rules.

Both Battle-forged and Unbound are game legal.

You could have a single Tactical squad and the Deathwing detachment and you would be "game legal" to anyone that is playing by the full 7th Edition 40K rules, and as long as you don't lose that Tactical squad the first round, you'll be able to keep playing, per the game rules.

Now if people are artificially limiting the game rules, that's a different story.

An HQ and two Tactical squads plus the Deathwing detachment would make a Battle-forged army together.

If you are taking a combined arms detachment you can take a land raider filled with Deathwing Knights as part of that detachment. They can start on the board on the first turn legally.

That drop pod null deploy idea is stellar.

Congratulations on your recovery. Glad to have you here. I can't play very well so I won't give you ideas how to play. You might get a lot of negativity on how Deathwing plays because we really can't play them fluffy without loosing on turn one if you just want to do Deathwing. It sucks, so here is hoping that there will be a new edition in 2017 of September, and they get rid of the "no minis on table at end of turn" it's auto loose. Still that said it's a year away so for at least a year keep in mind you can't play a pure Deathwing army unless your friends/opponent in a pick up game will allow it to happen. 

GW even tells us to change rules if we need to, in order to play like we want and have fun, but sadly, what I see on the internet and sadly in person now, people will not play you if you play Unbound or change a few simple rules so we can have fun.

I guess our fun some how takes away their fun because we are not following a rule in a rule book where the game is not balanced properly or even clearly written and concise. This just mind boggles me. 

But best of luck in your gaming and don't despair. I also have a great speech about being a Dark Angel, but I don't think nobody wants to see it again here. :P

Archived