What do we need to get a break?

I'm a real Sci-Fi book nut and read them all the standard though is variable

Black Library have some really good authors and some not so

Writing about Space Marines is not the easiest thing either the best books I've read in my opinion have been more intertwined, my favourites from the Hersey series where ones like "Flight of the Eisenstein"  & Nemesis (James Swollow)

The Dark Angels ones with the Lion in them are quite intriguing as the interplay between him and the other Primarchs holds them together better than the straight up post Heresy DA writing

The Wolves thing they've just done seems a bit shallow I have to say

Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, July 7, 2016 - Hidden during discussion
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, July 7, 2016 - Hidden during discussion

Simple, your problems is your expectations are set way too high.

Quit reading ADB and Abnett books and re-read Pandorax then reset your benchmark accordingly. tongue.png

Simple, your problems is your expectations are set way too high.

Quit reading ADB and Abnett books and re-read Pandorax then reset your benchmark accordingly. tongue.png

adnett is a brilliant writer, you watch your tone. thats gaunts ghosts your disrespecting

anyway were a the bad guy, we make it cool to be the bad guy. we ooze manliness and coat ourselves in awesome colors and heaps of awards. we shock the world and do it all before the week is done. like a certain hero of mine:

While I can't agree with you on Abnett, but I think everyone here feels your pain on the DA novels.

Back to your original post,  who do we have to sacrifice?

I'd suggest starting with Dunn first ( i believe he is still an editor ), then maybe that Mike Lee guy if you can find him. 

Gav should get the point after those two.  :tu:

The Unforgiven know their worth, the Sons of the Lion have never been found wanting in the eyes of the Emperor. We have no need for Mary Sue writers, nor do we count them among our ranks. In regards to our cousins, the Sons of Russ, take heed of the words  spoken by Grand Master Belial of the Dark Angels " Fenris breeds heroes like a bar breeds drunks - loud, proud and spoiling for a fight." 

Though secretive, we are considered one of the the most powerful organizations in the grim dark future. Most writers lack the skill and tact to properly author a novel of our greatness.

Have faith brothers and remember the words of Supreme Grand Master Azrael , "Forget your past life. From this day on, you are simply a Dark Angel--nothing else is of consequence. The Chapter is all that matters." No matter what those lovers of mangy dogs or followers of lies and deceit may say, The Chapter, The Unforgiven and the Hunt is all that matters.

For The Lion!

While I can't agree with you on Abnett, but I think everyone here feels your pain on the DA novels.

Back to your original post, who do we have to sacrifice?

I'd suggest starting with Dunn first ( i believe he is still an editor ), then maybe that Mike Lee guy if you can find him.

Gav should get the point after those two. thumbsup.gif

Look I will be happy with a novel that does not make us look incompetent.

The Unforgiven know their worth, the Sons of the Lion have never been found wanting in the eyes of the Emperor. We have no need for Mary Sue writers, nor do we count them among our ranks. In regards to our cousins, the Sons of Russ, take heed of the words spoken by Grand Master Belial of the Dark Angels " Fenris breeds heroes like a bar breeds drunks - loud, proud and spoiling for a fight."

Though secretive, we are considered one of the the most powerful organizations in the grim dark future. Most writers lack the skill and tact to properly author a novel of our greatness.

Have faith brothers and remember the words of Supreme Grand Master Azrael , "Forget your past life. From this day on, you are simply a Dark Angel--nothing else is of consequence. The Chapter is all that matters." No matter what those lovers of mangy dogs or followers of lies and deceit may say, The Chapter, The Unforgiven and the Hunt is all that matters.

For The Lion!

I am not asking for a mary sue writer.... I just want a good novel.

I remember our discussion regarding Gavs last 40k DA trilogy and the power that the Interrogators have just jars me so badly, to name one...

That, of all things, didn't bother me, Brother Arkley. Hypnotic indoctrination and psycho-conditioning for Space Marines are concepts that go back far more than a decade - to the first Index Astartes articles, in fact. It makes sense that the Interrogator-Chaplains would have that kind of fail-safe in place.

No, the real crime done to the Dark Angels is the inability - thus far - of the authors to portray the difficult decisions the Hunt requires without making their protagonists look stupid.

That, of all things, didn't bother me, Brother Arkley. Hypnotic indoctrination and psycho-conditioning for Space Marines are concepts that go back far more than a decade - to the first Index Astartes articles, in fact. It makes sense that the Interrogator-Chaplains would have that kind of fail-safe in place.

No, the real crime done to the Dark Angels is the inability - thus far - of the authors to portray the difficult decisions the Hunt requires without making their protagonists look stupid.

The thing that really got me was the situation, Asmodai used Belials *safe* word in front of Cypher. This is either a big oversight by Gav or just one of the worse things we have seen him do.

I get the indoctrination and conditioning I really do. But where does the power end? Can the Chaplains control Azrael like this? See to me the ultimate power of a Chapter lies in the Chapter Master (Grand Master) etc. If Chaplains like Asmodai and Sapphon can do this then they have too much influence in the Dark Angels and that power is subverted...

You are right about the real "crime" At the core its the Chaplains that are zealots and fanatics... This was clear in the last Gav trilogy. It's also clear that abandoning battles leaves a sour taste in Belials mouth. And this in turn makes us look incompetent, the 8 part Space Wolves novel.

We are manipulated by the changeling.

I am like you Phoebus I just want a novel that does not make us look incompetent... We are the inheritors of one of the most Strategic and Tactically minding Primarchs after all. 

The hunt is everything. We are not the Unforgiven for nothing.

I do really love Dark Angels, maybe even more that Ultramarines now. 

I really wonder if the Lion wakes up how many Chaplains will survive his wrath.

Posted · Hidden by Bryan Blaire, July 10, 2016 - Per request.
Hidden by Bryan Blaire, July 10, 2016 - Per request.

Mods please delete.

Just plain bad writing is frustrating. No use in me ranting about it on here.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wonder if the Lion wakes up how many Chaplains will survive his wrath

Looks like we might find out soon enough if the rumours are to be believed.

Whos taking bets on what primarch(s) they flip over to chaos?

Whos taking bets on what primarch(s) they flip over to chaos?

Really? This is potentially a thing - or just some summer madness?

Cheers

I

According to rumours, yes. But they are just that - rumours at present.

I really, really hope that they don't do they lazy thing and have the Lion turn to Chaos. That would be... tiresome.

According to rumours, yes. But they are just that - rumours at present.

I really, really hope that they don't do they lazy thing and have the Lion turn to Chaos. That would be... tiresome.

This would just finish me in 40k lore... The Lion was loyal, for all his faults his loyalty was never in doubt apart from the books Gav forced on us. 

And can you see the Watchers in the Dark siding with Chaos? Again everything we know of them is anti-chaos. Hell they are protecting the Lion atm.

I can see Guilliman seceding from the Imperium.

I can see Vulkan just fed up with mankind, (Immortality/Long lived introduced boredom) (This is something hinted with Dante being weary) How must Vulkan feel.

Corax still has the shame of what he did with his Legion (Not his fault but the shame is bared)

Khan, he is the wildcard, Loyal to the Emperor in the end but again the Imperium is a shadow of itself.

If Ferrus comes back as a Daemon (Sapphire King thought it was destroyed) again I think this is bad writing.

Russ might well be wulfen by now... (Big flea collar needed) :)

Dorn? His guilt is he failed the Emperor in his eyes, Fighting for Chaos really is not him.

Overall I dont see any Loyal Primarchs turning to actual Chaos... Fighting for the Imperium in its current state is another question.

The thing with the Black Library novels is that the standards for them are little better than self-publishing. Some might be great, but they don't come under the same scrutiny as a novel published by an actual publishing company. And, quite frankly, I've always found the novels written by the game designers to be self-indulgent drek.

I bet if Gab wrote a novel with the Eldar as protagonists, they'd be too cool for school.

I would have no problem with the Loin turning to chaos. It would be very interesting to see his motivation to choose chaos. However, I don't think the Lion turning to chaos would be as simple as it sounds.His problem is he takes things too far and by the time he realizes he has to choose a new direction he finds he has yet another choice to make.
After reading Angels of Caliban I am excited to see what comes next.
I really like Astellan. I wish we'd get some stories about him and the time before the Legion.

Oh, I know how this will end..

http://www.wobblymodelsyndrome.com/uploads/3/3/4/2/3342427/623071_orig.jpg

Rumors go, that they will turn the clock to one minute before midnight... So he will probably not wake up to be around. devil.gif

This kinda brings up a question. Was the lion still around when the legion was split? Would a primarch only be allowed to lead the single chapter (post heresy)

Yes. Didn't that happen to the Imperial Fists? Forget the Primarchs name, but he was leading Imperial Fists while the Black Templar went on their ways as well? Or am I getting the Black Templar mixed up with someone else?

Archived