Random Doubles, report

SnakeChisler

Had a comp at the weekend which as the title says was random doubles

Just finished painting my Dev squad so went with this after a lot of angst based mostly on trying to get some obj-sec and also knowing there were 3 Tau lists in the comp

Librarian lvl 2 Bike Auspex Shroud Conversion Field

Command squad * 5 with Apoth Champion

Tactical squad * 2 Rhino + Grav Cannon

Dev squad Rhino 2 Grav Cannons Cherub

DarkShroud

900 on the nose

Cad or a something like a Strike Force no more than 2 of each unit no vehicle squads and no super heavies + invisibility was banned 2+ re-rollable was the 2+4+ variety & single codex no allies - everyone was an ally of convenience   

Game 1

Paired with a Nid player who I knew quite well and while his list wasn't that strong the mission was 5 final objectives which were scattered around.

Enemies were Blood Angels  + Chaos Plague Marines

Things didn't go to well with the pre game roles Mephiston got Iron Arm and Warp speed :( his other Librarian rolled ignores cover + rending (ouch).

My roll didn't turn up anything that would be over useful (Librarius) but got Rapid Maneuver as a warlord trait & Night fighting was on.

The Nid Player deployed everything and I deployed everything bar the CS Librarian & Shroud wary of the ignores cover which was probably our 1st mistake as we could have done with everything on from T1 as we promptly got seized on :(

All the Nids were clustered up ready to run forward so down came the drop pod and out came the templates with the death company after the dust had settled about 1/2 his gribblies were no more & we'd lost 1st blood + had the death company staring us down.

Our response was to get the Hive Tyrant in the air and try thin out the death company and luckily he had a pretty bad roll ending up with 3 left and a wound on the Librarian (mostly from the Grav Dev's)

Rather than get further pummeled the Nids Charged mostley to tie up the Mephiston and stop him running rampant 20+ fearless gaunts still had thier uses)

The CS & Shroud came on straight away but after such a brutal 1st turn it was uphill and didn't help when I made another mistake trying to grav a Rhino & in the end blowing it up with Plasma having burned my 2 Grav cannons sigh war is brutal

The poor old Nid player took a real pounding but after T2 the grav spam cut the Plague Marines trying to make headway down to just a couple of models and the Blood angels Jump squad fell mostly to an overwatch volley causing 3 wounds from the grav cannon.

Final result we managed to rescue a Minor loss due to some turbo boosting and having an obj-sec unit contesting

Good fun though and we could have easily got a draw if I'd have played better oh well

Game 2 

Mealstrom - escalation

Sigh I got a Deamon player and it didn't start well his 1st statement when he came to the table was I own the Psychic phase so will be taking the dice (nothing like putting the I in team)

Opponents were Ad-Mech (Kastelans & Destroyer grav spam) + Tau (Hark back to the Pulse rifle spam with an Ethereal + Fireblade)

Rolled well for Psychic got Phase Form but would I get to use it? we were going 2nd so I deployed scouted out of sight of most of the guns still had to jink though hammer & Anvil so I pushed forward with most stuff.

Deamon player had a huff coz his pink horrors were culled down aside from that no damage. In our turn I pushed right across to get away from the Kastelans its not their shooting that's an issue there pretty brutal in CC and I just didn't want to get tied up also the take a wound get your cover reduced didn't appeal to me at all.

Got berated by the Deamon player for not just charging in even though the warp storm took out the marker lights & the CS & Shroud were tanking about 2/3 rd's of the opponents firepower and all he'd done was create a Herald and some Nurglings, our points were ticking over though and he had a 2+ rerollabe on his Deamon Prince.

By turn 3 there was still no 1st blood but at least all my grav was in place I peeled of the Librarian and sent the CS to go run over some fire warriors so he could cast Phase form on them unfortunately I was given a paltry 3 dice to cast it and told to go 1st (at this point I was really getting to want to change sides and help out the other team) and it was promptly discast. He did get Possession on his Herald even so he fetched it in flying arghhh.

Turn 4 and the warp storm blew away most of the command squad leaving just the Apothecary who at least got into combat but reducing the squad down from the 3 that was left to 1 meant all he could do was club a few fire warriors with no chance of getting at the ethereal.

At least both Deamons had landed and some psychic shooting had nerfed a couple of squads we'd got 1st blood and were contesting forward objectives with Tac squads.

T5 saw us mop up really Phase from went off and wasn't denied (mostly coz there was no point in summoning stuff at this point) tac sqaud weighed in and The prince munched the Ad-Mech Warlord + Grav squad

A Major win -  i know the young lad does comps & stuff but he really needed a chill pill

Game 3

Kill Stuff

Paired with a Raven guard player (he's not really, one of the competitive marine players at the club who codex pimps) against the Ad-Mech & Guard deployment was funny anyways I volunteered to line up against the guard got phase form again and my partner got shifting worlds (oh Joy). After my partner's initial cockiness in taking on the Ad-Mech most of his ground troops got vaporized while on my side  orders came through to ignore cover andddddd plasma promptly wiffed big style the tanks did nothing and I was set for a T2 charge.

Psychic shenanigans ahoy I got my partner to pick up the terrain the tank was in rotate so there was no cover  and dump it within 24" of the Grav Dev squad who promptly managed only 1 hull point still rear is easier to pen than front 14 with cover. The T2 Charge blew up a Chimera for 1st blood taking out most of the platoon and the CS started hacking through 30+ ground troops with Yarrick.

There wasn't much to tell after this by a quirk of fate the Grav cannons immobilized his Vendetta who was then locked then locked again ending up off the board at the end of the game for max kill points from that 1/2, my partner had lost a lot of troops but he'd not combat squad-ed so kill points were minimal.

Major win due to the number of guard units

Some real funnies in this game the Kastelans got set up to double tap and I got my partner to move a large building in front of them so they couldn't see Jack mmm

Overall the CS was brutal as always my choice of powers was so so and the Grav spam was just the ticket and I ended up 4th out of 16, the winner was a Deamon player (not the one I was with he came mid table in the end)

Another DA player was 5th with a full Ravenwing, the 3 Tau players were pretty near the bottom

As a final comment another Raven Guard player loaded up his Jump Assault units in a building shifted across the battlefield with shifting worlds and promptly multi assaulted a Tau Force T1 wiping most of it out.

That is one mother of a Psychic power 

Archived