Caw-caw! Or... Whatever noise ravens make.

Raktra

So, each summer, my amazing buddy comes back from uni at Amsterdam and we (and the rest of our group) do a little summer campaign to celebrate whilst he's here. This year it's a slow-grow league, and I've chosen the Unforgiven as my new army, going pure Ravenwing for something totally different to my previous Marines. Yaaaay! Now I've read the new FAQ, so I know I'll have to not use flyers as part of the Ravenwing Strike Force if I don't wanna autolose and all that gaff, so beyond that is there anything else essential I need to know? Sableclaw vs Sammael's bike, Interrogator vs Librarian etc? Tell me your knowledge.

"Caw caw" is reasonably accurate, though you can get away with just about anything since ravens can mimic voices and sounds. I'll leave the gaming advice to someone who's played more Ravenwing this edition...

So, each summer, my amazing buddy comes back from uni at Amsterdam and we (and the rest of our group) do a little summer campaign to celebrate whilst he's here. This year it's a slow-grow league, and I've chosen the Unforgiven as my new army, going pure Ravenwing for something totally different to my previous Marines. Yaaaay! Now I've read the new FAQ, so I know I'll have to not use flyers as part of the Ravenwing Strike Force if I don't wanna autolose and all that gaff, so beyond that is there anything else essential I need to know? Sableclaw vs Sammael's bike, Interrogator vs Librarian etc? Tell me your knowledge.

Whoa, hold up. You can still use flyers and not auto-lose. Just take a Silence Squadron or Abduction Squadron. As long as the flyers are not taken in the RWAF, you're good to go. Also, you may just want to ask your group if you can bring in your flyers separately.

Black knights are you friend. They're the only RW unit that can assault, and assault it does. They are genestealers on bikes with power armor and twin-linked plasma guns. I field 10 of them whenever I get the chance. They can be heavily augmented by our characters - chaplain for re-rolls, librarian for buffs, Sammael to improve hit and run and add a plasma cannon to their firepower. That becomes a huge amount of points though.

Other ravenwing units are primarily firepower. Always give them 2 squad weapons and an attack bike (preferably with a multi-melta). Current popular loadouts include 2 grav guns or 2 flamers. Putting a combi-weapon on the sergeant is a good idea too. The grav-guns are critical to bring down the *knight units in other armies.

For basic bikes, definitely get the Dark Vengeance bikes off of ebay. They're very much cost effective. They come with a plasma gun that you can convert to whatever you want. Attack bikes and black knights pretty much have to be purchased as is - no shortcuts there.

The primary tactics are - always keep moving and don't get caught in close combat (except for the knights). Use the speed to put firepower wherever you need it.

You can also check you my RW project if you want some inspiration - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302121-new-ravenwing-project-updated-4022015-batrep-lots-o-pics/ 

You can bring fliers with your RWSF and not need special permission or bend rules to do it. Just take a RW support squadron. If you take 3 typhoons and a darkshroud and start it on the table in ruins, it's nearly impossible to kill. 2+ cover or 2+ rerollable jink save will insure that every thing in the RWSF will be in on turn 2. Its probably the most broken unit in the codec.

If you have the points to spare, you could always run two Ravenwing Strike Forces. For that, you will need 2 HQ's. A Level 1 Librarian on a bike will cost you 85 points. Give him the Shroud of Heroes and he is a little harder to hit out in the open. It would make for some fun psyker shenanigans.

So Sammy would go in one RWSF and the Librarian in the other. One strike force starts on the board while the other with just the flyers can come in on turn two! This way could take all Dark Talons or really what ever combination you would like. This has been my plan but my fliers are still in the box. wallbash.gif

Another option to get some flyers into your Ravenwing army would be to take 2 flyers (of the same type) as a flyer wing in the Air Superiority Detachment.

This option also boasts +2/-2 to your reserve rolls and -2 to your opponents if you happen to have 'air superiority', very tasty.

You can bring fliers with your RWSF and not need special permission or bend rules to do it. Just take a RW support squadron. If you take 3 typhoons and a darkshroud and start it on the table in ruins, it's nearly impossible to kill. 2+ cover or 2+ rerollable jink save will insure that every thing in the RWSF will be in on turn 2. Its probably the most broken unit in the codec.

The games where I have won easily with my RW are when I have done exactly this. I had one game where my opponent  didn't even bother shooting at me turn one because he didn't see the point, he just moved stuff about and then declared it my turn. Karma struck back in my next game, however, when I switched to GW and lost to an ork army who beat me with shooting.... Yeah, out shot by orks...

As has been suggested above, Black Knights and the Support Squadron are the immediate units I would go for. HQ wise, as good as Sammy is he's a hefty points sink, and I only tend to use him in bigger games. As for a choice between librarians and chaplains, it's a tough one, an Interrogator Chaplain can be a beast in combat, and really gives the Black Knights an extra oomph, a librarian not so much, but with the right powers he can become an incredibly powerful buff to the black knights or any other unit really. I suppose it depends what you expect to face. I rarely take a Librarian against demons, for example, because my two to eight dice in the psychic phase just seem meaningless against the pile of dice my opponent has. And I would only take an Interrogator against say, Orks, with a power fist, because he's probably going to end up slugging it out with some warboss with a 2+ save (I'm a sucker for those epic, cinematic mid table warlord duels).

Damn guys, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm just... Well, the swear filter'll stop me with the phrasing I wanted to use. But thank ye all! I've got my little lot to start with, five Black Knights (the spare one turned into a Libby), a pair of attack bikes and three standard Bikers. Got a rough plan to make it to 750:

Ravenwing

HQ
Librarian -110
- Level 2
- Bike

Ravenwing Bikers -250
- 6 strong
- 2 grav guns
- Melta bombs
- Attack Bike
- Multi-melta

Black Knights -200
- 5 strong

Land Speeder Vengeance -120

Darkshroud -80

I know a lot of folk dislike the Vengeance, but goddammit if a massive cannon-wielder Speeder isn't going in.

Archived