Help Designing a Chapter Emblem!

jbaeza94

The bottom two are okay, but the lion look is lost a bit too much in my opinion, and looks more like a "Gear Cougars" Chapter logo.

I had to laugh at "Gear Cougars"! laugh.png

...Then again, does the regular DA logo say "Dark Angels" to you, or "Sword Wings"? msn-wink.gif

Gear Cougars! Haha too funny shabbadoo!

Gilbear: I love your ideas. It's simplistic, yet I feel i could get something more detailed out of the design for larger pieces (if I was artistic enough to do so! Ha). I like the gear head quite a bit. It's liony, it's mechanicumy, and simple. It would make armor marks more viable. The sword head though allows for techmarine style pads. Thanks for your help!

You guys are right about the whole not manticore thing. My thinking was, well the calibanite lion wasn't much of a lion either in the traditional sense.

Problem with that line of thinking is a manticore is an established creature, so it'd really just be piggy backing.

I should have checked out your thread earlier. It was very interesting to watch the creative progression.  I am a fan of the Gear Cougars!  I also like the Cerberus-Lion but without the sword through it.  If you must have the gear on the emblem, then I would have to choose the third one from the left on the bottom of your second picture.  But I have a suggestion... If I recall from your WIP thread, the Iron Lions is divided into two cohorts.  I suggest to you an emblem with the sword in the middle with a side profile of a lion's head looking out on either side.  So a two headed lion divided by a sword, one head for each cohort united under the sword of the Unforgiven.  If I had some more time I would draft up a concept.

As an after thought, you could ditch the sword and have a gear in the background so that you would only see the top and bottom of it behind the two lion heads.  I may have to sketch that one up tomorrow. 

Haha epher I swear you're like my only lions fan at the moment! I'm glad you remember details :)

I think I understand your concept brother!

I might try to get on it too :) I'm just worried, like many have pointed out, getting it on a shoulder pad. It's easy to forget how small they can be haha

I agree with Major_Gilbear.  You should keep the Chapter logo very simple so that it shows up well as a decal on the very small shoulder pads of your troops.  Use a larger and more detailed/stylized version of the logo on Company/Chapter standards. I prefer Major_Gilbear's two top logos, a I think they would show up best at shoulder pad decal size.  The bottom two are okay, but the lion look is lost a bit too much in my opinion, and looks more like a "Gear Cougars" Chapter logo. i would leave out the gear ring, as it would be too busy for a shoulder pad (once again, save it for a larger logo on a standard).

You could go for a simple logo for shoulder pads but go nuts on banners and stuff. 

But I have a suggestion... If I recall from your WIP thread, the Iron Lions is divided into two cohorts.  I suggest to you an emblem with the sword in the middle with a side profile of a lion's head looking out on either side.  So a two headed lion divided by a sword, one head for each cohort united under the sword of the Unforgiven.

That sounds pretty good.  DA sword, but with a lion head in profile on each side of it. That would look pretty good. In heraldic terms, the direction the heads face signify aggression and watchfulness even.  It would also be a symbol with symmetry, meaning you wouldn't need to reverse it for some heraldic applications, which is convenient.  keep the lion head profile silhouette simple though.  The whole of that might look very good within a circle with cogs on the outer edge too.

Archived