Who paints the deliveries?

Xisor

I have an idea (AM force with 'off the factory line' Imperial Guard/Space Marine suppor), and it's brought up a nice question.

If all the Marines are techmarines (and all the guard 'tech-guard' couriers) from a few chapters/regiments 'shepherding' the delivery, so they're in regular rust-red and Chapter/local colours - what state would the vehicles be? Unadorned? Ready for deployment? Parade-ground "standard grey"?

I rather like the idea, and it's a nice way to add varied oomf too a core AM force.

I think either works, but I wondered if it had ever been mentioned before, or if anyone has any views on it?

I imagine a similar issue in 'delivery' of starship. It'd take a while to paint them, but would it be too impersonal for them to arrive painted by someone else?

I remember reading somewhere - maybe with regards to Armageddon - mention of Guard vehicles trundling off the assembly line straight into battle. I'm sure there are plenty of ways you could excuse that without having the war on the manufactorum's door stop so it's open for you to play with I'd say :) Slightly related, but they also feature touch ups in between battles if possible as per the Space Hulk book (had a servitor approaching to repaint an area only to be shooed away).

It'd certainly be a cool idea though I'd say the main issue would be making them look unpainted. By nature of a model collection you'd have to paint something! :lol: I'm sure there's a few colour schemes that appear more "unpainted" than "just so happens to be a grey colour scheme", maybe you could mix it up with some haphazard markings that were done quick or maybe even some partially painted ones :P

i think its one of those things where there is no standard answer, its done differently depending on "who you ask"

so say the ultramarines who more or less have their own mini-empire set up probably have their rhinos etc painted in the factories and other chapters order them in the desired colors from where they are put together. while others get more standardized "raw" stuff, especially the imperial guard

some chapters and regiments probably even make their stuff themselves from scratch in super private facilities or even on board their ships... there is really no right or wrong i think, though obviously like most things in 40k the most likely thing is that stuff is endlessly repaired and repainted and repurposed through thousands of years

I imagine many chapters would insist on painting it themselves. They hold their wargear in such high esteem that I'm sure many (but probably not all) would indeed want to paint it themselves in some kind of honorific ritual.

Archived