What is the best Forgeworld Knight for the points?

m0nolith

Apologies if the question is too broad, but lately I'v been contemplating buying a FW knight to compliment my BA force. 

What is the best point for point FW knight right now in your opinion?

Edited by m0nolith

The Atrapos is probably the best Knight over all, but most of them have a task their better at. I personally love the idea Cerastus Knight Castigator, I mean, it has a VOLKITE POWERED SWORD! But its gimped because it only has 1 gun, so you have to charge what you shoot, and what it shoots is usually hurting pretty bad anyway. If you want horde control for anything in power armor or worse, the Archon is your boy. Hellstorm Str7 Ap3 makes a big mess. The Mageara is weird, but also the toughest knight thanks to IWND 6+, and a combination flare/Ion shield, but it dies in combat to other knights and the like since it goes at I2. The Lancer is the best at hunting other super-heavies, gargantuans, and big MC's, since it has an invuln in combat, I5, and a concussive super plasma gun.

I just got my Castigator in today. It seems like the best to pair with Mechanicus to me but the case could be made for any of them. I got the Castigator because the other knights offer better ranged attacks for the most part, which we do not need.  The other melee oriented knight, the lancer, is tailor made for hunting super heavies and gargantuans. Our Grav and Haywire can handle that just fine. I wanted a melee knight because most of my problems come at the hands of horde units that make it to combat end up being my downfall. Even though I will have to charge what I shoot, chances are the units I use that against will still be there.  This is also a unit I can throw at a deathstar. Until now, my solution to deathstars has been to either focus all my considerable firepower to bring them down but ignore the rest of the army, or ignore the deathstar. Neither of which are good for me because if I ignore them, the make it to my lines and wreak havoc. The castigators special attack that hits all models in base combat, on the other hand, doesn't give a crap if you're invisible or not. My next purchase will be the Atrapos.

I picked up a Lancer (still need to assemble).  I love the idea it can run in, melta something, the rip it apart.  If I get another though I'm totally going Castigator.  Get something to protect it's rather open back.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Atrapos. Hasn't arrived yet though. It looks Mechanicus to me more than Imperial knights do. I am looking forward to using it. It seems to me like it is the best all around knight simply because of the shield. It will be more likely to survive long enough to do some work. It will draw in all the lascannon and battle cannon fire because those will be some of the few weapons that can hurt it, yet will be relatively safe even from them. Biggest threat to it will be the necrons. I was thinking of getting a knight Castigator to pair with it.

The Atropos is super popular.

While I love it and its ionic flareshield, it suffers the same lack of close combat save as every other knight, except the lancer.

The lancer is also the only knight that can take out a leviathan, contemptor or other knight in combat without risking return damage, so long as your lancer gets the charge.

^Nah, the Atrapos looks good at a glance with its ionic flare shield and extra hullpoint, but it's still hamstrung by not having a melee save and remaining Ini4.

Any type of dread or combat mech automata is going to take a huge chunk out of it at the same ini step.

The lancer is cheaper, faster on the charge and gets a good melee save. It's markedly better at killing the same types of targets that the Atropos wants to kill. 

Plus it might as well only have one gun with an 8" range on its lightsaber. 

Edited by Flint13

I don't know. It's obvious we disagree on the matter.

I think it's a risky proposition to throw a Knight against another one. Even with higher initiative, it's easy enough to fluff the dice and get destroyed in return.

Most Knights, my own and those belonging to an opponent, are destroyed by ranged weapons as they advance forward.

This is something, hands down, the Atrapos is better at doing. When it comes to close combat the greatest asset a Knight has is stomp - it's almost wasteful to assault something that you can't utilise Stomp against. As for Dreads and what not, it's easier to avoid a model that needs to charge than the shooting of an opposing army.

Point for point value however, still probably a regular Knight Crusader or Warden/Paladin.

Edited by Ishagu

It's obvious we disagree on the matter.

Indeed. S'why I replied. So we could chat about it.

I think it's a risky proposition to throw a Knight against another one. Even with higher initiative, it's easy enough to fluff the dice and get destroyed in return.

It's a dice game. Everything risks crap dice.

However, the chances favor a Lancer charging an Atropos and knocking the hell out of it. The chances do not favor an Atropos surviving charging a lancer. The single bonus attack it would get is easily combated by the Lancer's shield, both the invulnerable and the -1 to hit. 

Most Knights, my own and those belonging to an opponent, are destroyed by ranged weapons as they advance forward.

They have a 12" move. How many rounds are you spending outside of combat? Is it the only legit threat you're giving your opponent? :huh.:

This is something, hands down, the Atrapos is better at doing. 

Not sure what you mean here. It's certainly not better at being destroyed by ranged weapons.

When it comes to close combat the greatest asset a Knight has is stomp - it's almost wasteful to assault something that you can't utilise Stomp against. As for Dreads and what not, it's easier to avoid a model that needs to charge than the shooting of an opposing army.

I don't think so. One in six times is a stomp better than a swing with the D-saber. You get maybe 3 stomps, tops. Any opponent that isn't asleep at the wheel knows you're going to be fishing for those weird "REMOVE EVERYTHING NO SAVES OF ANY KIND EVER" results on the stomp chart and will position their combatants accordingly.

If the smaller 2-5 Stomp result is doing appreciable damage to whatever you're in combat with, you've gotten your knight stuck into combat with something way cheaper than it is. Which is not a good place for it  to be.

What is a good place for it to be is in combat with something in the same price range it is, swinging its D-saber.

As for Dreads and what not, it's easier to avoid a model that needs to charge than the shooting of an opposing army.

If you avoid a dread to charge something else close to it, one of two things will happen.

1.) You kill whatever you charged and the dread charges you, which brings us back to the issue of it knocking a chunk out of your much more expensive model

or 

2.) You don't kill whatever you charged, the dread charges you, and now you're fighting whatever you charged and a dread.

Both of those work out in favor of your opponent. 

Excellent question, and one that has been on my mind as well for some time!

Some very good arguments for the Castigator and Acheron, it's always fun toasting deathstars!

Regarding the initial question I'd second the notion of the Atrapos being on top due to it's weapon loadout and resiliency. I do however have a big soft spot for the Lancer personally - it simply looks fantastic when posed right and it gives me something to smash into a Wraithknight which I imagine to be very satisfying!

I wanted to add some pics but yeah... didn't let me for some reason.