Angels of Death and Blood Angels

LutherMax

The supplement is obviously focused on Codex: Space Marines armies, but there's nothing to stop us fielding the Formations alongside our Blood Angels armies - and indeed using Blood Angels painted models to represent the units.

So, I'm keen to hear thoughts on which Formations best compliment our forces, and thoughts on tactics and strategies for their use. Shadowstrike Killteam and Skyhammer are well-known of course but some of the Scout / Speeder ones look tasty too...

Thoughts?

I've always been a BA purist ...but recently I tried the Librarian Conclave thing because I wanted to go full-in on the new psychic powers - and the fates punished me dearly for corrupting the geneseed with non-BA units.

I rolled poorly for psychic powers (didn't get any of the ones I wanted to try), I rolled poorly for casting psychic powers, I rolled poorly all game.

Haha so I dunno dude, ...go for it?

Even if i consider myself a purist, i considered some time ago on a way to field formation, while sticking to Blood Angels spirit/units.

Looking at the possibilities, the White Scars are the more akin to us.

As a basic, you can build a WS Detachment around :

1 Stormlance Battle Demi-Company and 1 Stormbringer Squadron.

For the composition, you can manage to do a 1500 Pts WS Detachement, using nearly only Blood Angels miniature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The White Scars possess the best ressemblance to the Blood Angels.

Using the Stormlance Battle Demi-Company and the Stormbringer Squadron, you can use Codex Blood Angels units (Except for the Land Speeder Storm, but well, it is the only exception^^). Plus, in this Detachment, you don't need to field any bikes.

(PS : use Gabriel Seth to represent Kor'Sarro Khan on foot.)

I really want to use the land raider spearhead which is fluffy because we have loads left over from the heresy but you can't start units inside which kills it for me.

I've considered using it as a mobile wall for my death company to jump behind though

An important thing to remember is that Chapter Tactics and equivalent rules are cancelled out if you have ICs with one CT in squads with another CT. According to the FAQ, this DOES affect BA, and we lose Furious Charge, and whatever squad we're in loses whatever CT they have.

This shouldn't stop you taking formations, it's just something to keep in mind when planning out what's gonna happen on the table.

The IH Decurion is really nice for bringing some survivable, pseudo-fast tanks though.

The decurion has too many marines for my taste, I don't want to play red marines. The vehicle only formations, like the Stormwing or the Land Raider Spearhead, look interesting though. Three AV 14 vehicles with IWND at no extra cost isn't bad. 

We had some great synergies with the iron hands (fist of medusa) but since the faq that say´s that chapter marines loose their chapter tactics if mixed with other marines this superfirend combination is obsolete.

I even though like the skyhammer for grav support and the conclave for psi boost.

I also want to field the raven formation but my b&b opponents are alergic vs. attacks from deep strike. rolleyes.gif

And there are to few tournaments to test such things out. I even fought against the Demi company + raven formation with BA + Skyhammer http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317869-riot-earps-blood-angels-and-imperial-allies/?p=4283144 (Last game) and won.

I would also like to field some day an gladius strike force with an BA cad (with more free DP from the assault squad) other way around you can build up some deathstars with iron hand and put in some support units from Ba like Fragiosos or meltacide squads. But Deathstars are today easy to counter out.

If you're going to be bringing Land Raiders anyway, it's a reasonable buy. Plus, iirc, they ignore Shaken and Stunned, which is always nice to have.

It's even better than that. They ignore all results on the vehicle damage chart except Explodes!

The IH Decurion is really nice for bringing some survivable, pseudo-fast tanks though.

The decurion has too many marines for my taste, I don't want to play red marines. The vehicle only formations, like the Stormwing or the Land Raider Spearhead, look interesting though. Three AV 14 vehicles with IWND at no extra cost isn't bad. 

Ah but this is the IH Decurion, where your compulsory can be an Armoured Task Force, only infantry you'd need is two Techies:

• Techmarine
  • 0-3 Thunderfire Cannon Unit
  • 3-5 Units of Whirlwinds/ Predators/ Vindicators (that can be a single model)

Then you just need an Auxillary, that could even be a Contemptor or other single dreadnought.

As long as any of the vehicles is within 6" of the Techmarine or the Techmarine Gunners, they ignore Crew Shaken/Stunned, and said Techmarines gain a +1 bonus to their Blessings of the Omnissiah rolls when applied to any vehicle from the formation.

And the Benefits of the Decurion overall grants an additional warlord trait from tactical or strategic, +1 to all FNP rolls to units within 12" of an IC AND Power of the Machine Spirit to all vehicles when within 12" of an IC from the formation.

So yeah, if you want tanks - bring this.

That IS even better!

Yup, when you want to filed land raiders anyways the rules of the formation alone are great but IH chapter tactics (after the rules change from AoD) makes it even better. I guess instead of BA renting out theri drop pods, IH are now the big rental car company.

Iron Hands

We try harder - to keep our vehicles going.

A self healing Flyer wing could also be interesting since we only have the stormraven and our "chapter tactics" do nothing for vehicles.

Ah but this is the IH Decurion, where your compulsory can be an Armoured Task Force, only infantry you'd need is two Techies:

• Techmarine
  • 0-3 Thunderfire Cannon Unit
  • 3-5 Units of Whirlwinds/ Predators/ Vindicators (that can be a single model)

Then you just need an Auxillary, that could even be a Contemptor or other single dreadnought.

As long as any of the vehicles is within 6" of the Techmarine or the Techmarine Gunners, they ignore Crew Shaken/Stunned, and said Techmarines gain a +1 bonus to their Blessings of the Omnissiah rolls when applied to any vehicle from the formation.

And the Benefits of the Decurion overall grants an additional warlord trait from tactical or strategic, +1 to all FNP rolls to units within 12" of an IC AND Power of the Machine Spirit to all vehicles when within 12" of an IC from the formation.

So yeah, if you want tanks - bring this.

Ah, I thought about a demi company being the core choice.

Before the mixing of Chapter Tactics nerf, with a Sanguinary Priest and this detachment you could easily achieve a 2+ FNP on an IH  Chapter Master:

5+ FNP from Priest

+1 From IH CT

+1 From Detachment Bonus

+1 From Chain of the Gorgon

But obviously this is no more, or you just take an IH Command bike squad or something, but it was more that the basic troops got a 3+ FNP....

Of course.

Basically, the rules of the Space Marine book is that if a character joins a unit with different chapter tactics, they are both cancelled out.

So if a White Scar joins an Iron Hand, the White Scar loses skilled rider, scout etc and the Iron Hand no longer had a 6+FNP.

The FAQ clarified that this also applies to BA/DA/SW/GK, so if one of these chapters joins a Codex Chapter, the codex chapter loses it's Tactics.

But we DO NOT however lose our FC and DA don't lose their BS2 overwatch.

Of course.

Basically, the rules of the Space Marine book is that if a character joins a unit with different chapter tactics, they are both cancelled out.

So if a White Scar joins an Iron Hand, the White Scar loses skilled rider, scout etc and the Iron Hand no longer had a 6+FNP.

The FAQ clarified that this also applies to BA/DA/SW/GK, so if one of these chapters joins a Codex Chapter, the codex chapter loses it's Tactics.

But we DO NOT however lose our FC and DA don't lose their BS2 overwatch.

That's only if you declare the character is joining the unit though, correct?  Just clarifying.

Stormwing formation, fantastic support for any army and dominating the skies feels very much like our play style.

Apart from anti-flyer this thing can deal eith pretty much any threat if kitted out right.

Yup, or just 1-4 stormhawks, should we want fighter planes.

Stormwing formation, fantastic support for any army and dominating the skies feels very much like our play style.

Apart from anti-flyer this thing can deal eith pretty much any threat if kitted out right.

Yup, or just 1-4 stormhawks, should we want fighter planes.

True, but the way all interceptor has to snap fire is a god send and a stormraven trumps a stormhawk for me personally. The PotMS is golden

Archived