Iron & Shadow - 30k Iron Warriors

MagicMan

med_gallery_41766_11734_438350.png

+++++

The data engine chimed again, insistently. Pella's heavy lidded eyes flicked upwards to regard it, a cautious look painted across his blunt featured face. It was a face ruined by war and time, cast into an ugly mold by too many long years taking the iron to stone. The data engine's blinking light reflected from the burnished iron of his Cataphractii war plate, it chimed again. Orders then, orders at last. Pella had spent more than enough time, in his estimation, guarding this backwater world on the edge of Ultramar; but where would the orders take him?

His plated fingers moved slowly across a worn keypad, and his cold eyes flickered to and fro as the missive was absorbed and committed to memory. It was to be the XIII, then. The galaxy turned, the pieces had been scattered and would bring IV, XII, XVII and XIII together. It would begin in shadow.

+++++

Hey guys, decided to just start a fresh thread now that I've started getting going with my Iron Warriors! The background for my force is a garrison force on the edge of Ultramar that gets deployed in support of the Word Bearers & World Eaters as they prosecute the Shadow Crusade in Ultramar. This gives me the ability to bring in some XII and XVII models into my force in the far future, and also sets me up nicely to play against my buddy who's going to be collecting Ultramarines.

On to the models! I haven't painted the Legion Symbol yet, going to do a bit more practice first.

+++++

Warriors of the 312th Battalion deployed to the surface of Calth before the outbreak of hostilities amongst Legion forces. Deployed alongside the Word Bearer's muster, the IV Legion forces proved a valuable asset once the fighting broke out.

Due to their proximity to Ultramar during their tenure as a garrision force, the 312th Grand Battalion were well equipped with Maximus pattern power armour and Tigrus pattern bolters. Armour and arms that the Iron Warriors had no hesitation turning on the warriors of the thirteenth.

Sergeant Charon leads his men in an attack on Ultramarine forces during the Betrayal at Calth.

+++++

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/22/815237_md-.jpg
+++++

The Legion numeral is displayed on the Company designation on the right pauldron. The 312th has adopted a single yellow stripe through black as its identifier. Charon's MKIV helmet can be seen here mag locked to his belt armour, likely removed due to damage sustained during the fighting.

+++++

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/22/815234_md-.jpg
+++++

Two
Phalangitai, line warriors, with custom helms. The IV was well known for its practice of modifying and improving its battle plate, and weapons. These helms have been personalised to display the IV Legion chevrons and symbol respectively.
Also seen here are the large amount of equipment each warrior carries, with blades pistols and extra grenades taken from the stockpiles of their previous garrison world. One can also see the tarnished plate of the Legionaries, likely caused by the catastrophic radiation leaking to Calth's surface from its dieing sun.

+++++

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/22/815235_md-.jpg
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/22/815236_md-.jpg

Apologies fro the crappy pictures, probably my biggest weakness! Hah. Thanks for looking.

OH OH YES! 

You vanished into the warp and returned with something beautiful! Your Marines Errant are such a motivating and inspiring force. So I cannot wait to see more IVth Legion warriors built and painted by your hands.

Your part of the ship part of the crew!

Love the face on Charon looks perfect great stuff buddy

Part of the ship...

Thanks Kurama! Finally part of the 30k crew...

Brilliant fluff and great models. Off to a great start mate. Very excited to see your take on the IV, I think your gritty style will suit them perfectly.

Cheers Arkhan! I doubt they'll hold a candle to your gritty Ultras, though, from who I might be pilfering a few conversion ideas!

OH OH YES! 

You vanished into the warp and returned with something beautiful! Your Marines Errant are such a motivating and inspiring force. So I cannot wait to see more IVth Legion warriors built and painted by your hands.

Wow thanks Hushrong, that means alot! My Marines Errant aren't dead, just on hold... No doubt campaigning beyond the reach of the Imperium.

Wonderful! The gritty grim club approves massively!

Iron Within.

Cheers Tyrax, your continued Iron encouragement is definitely keeping me motivated. :D

So im waiting on some 3rd party pads to finish my Terminators and my veterans, in the meantime i've been just fiddling with poses and stuff really.

My Praetor, Antigonus Pella (Macedonian name rip-offs incoming, hold onto your historical belts...)

I filled in the collar, and added some techy thing to his top. Im planning on topknots for my Cataphractii. Always liked the look, and if i decide they dont look great painted i can slice them off easily enough...

In my abortive placeholder thread someone asked where the skulls came from, they're from the Ork Nobs kit!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/26/816108_md-.jpg

Two vets, one the leader, one a claw wielder. I used the Cataphractii claw cause its moaaar 30k in my eyes. Just had to shave the arm down a bit.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/26/816106_md-.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/26/816107_md-.jpg

And the last half of my first 10 Tacs, which will probably be the next thing i paint. Nothing exciting to see here, but progress is progress. :)

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2016/7/26/816109_md-.jpg

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the kind words guys, appreciate it!

So haven't done alot of painting, I've been on holiday to Amsterdam and just been pretty busy. Done a bit of building though, and have a few things to show!

Heres my Contemptor, minor conversion work changing the pose of the head, which helps alot with this model. Also put a flamer in his fist, which you can't see here. Modelling him to look like the Terminators, he's almost there. I want to add some spikes or studs to the shoulder though.

gallery_58164_12214_514042.jpg

Heres my Box-Dread!! Don't see enough of these guys in 30k armies, and I've always liked them. Crushing a hapless Ultramarine who didn't get out of the way. Planning to add another one or two of the box-lords.

gallery_58164_12214_151207.jpg

gallery_58164_12214_235826.jpg

And heres a WIP of my first test Terminator. I think I'll change the topknot colour to red, and im not happy with the eyes. I went with a lazy ''plasma glow'' look on the eyes of all the dudes I've done so far, but i'm not happy with it so I'm gonna go back and repaint it. Will probs stick with blue, but just paint them non-glowy.

gallery_58164_12214_17944.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers for the kind words guys, appreciate it!

Heres my Box-Dread!! Don't see enough of these guys in 30k armies, and I've always liked them. Crushing a hapless Ultramarine who didn't get out of the way. Planning to add another one or two of the box-lords.

gallery_58164_12214_235826.jpg

Where is that Soon to be Dead Space Marine's out stretched arm from?

Nice work! Been planning out some IV Legion to go alongside (well, stand against :P) my Imperial Fists, so this is pretty damn inspiring! Beautiful paint jobs!

(And we definitely need more Castraferrum Dreadnoughts in 30k! I mean, as awesome as Contemptors, Eddies, and Levithans are, Boxnoughts are amazing too! Always good to see more!)

Nice work! Been planning out some IV Legion to go alongside (well, stand against tongue.png) my Imperial Fists

Hey, let me know when you do! I'll have to check that out. smile.png

+++++

The crack and snap of over-cooked ammunition was deafening in the confines of the trench, the air itself thrummed with heat as Nemeon washed the fan of his heavy flamer over the bunker again. There were no more cries, no more screams, no life.

His heavy footfalls were thunder, his bulk titanic, his strength godlike. Masonry crumbled and fell as he eased his armoured shell into the shattered redoubt, crushing rock to dust and bone to powder beneath his tread. There was one, one life remaining.

The Ultramarine sat with his back to the strong-point's inner wall, tarry black smoke drooled from the joints in his armour where the intense heat had fused his plate together. He was trapped now in this shell, confined by the very thing supposed to protect him. Nemeon regarded his work dispassionately, activating the powered claw that served as his right hand.

A vox bark, ''Why?''.

Nemeon stood still for a moment, the thrum of his enormous warplate filling the confined space with violent potential. He didn't hate this warrior of the XIIIth, not like Lorgar's zealots did. Though it was pleasing to see one of the glory legions down in the dirt for once, down in the place the IVth had made their home. No it wasn't hate that drove Nemeon and his brothers.

''Why, brother?''.The flickering flames reminded him of Olympia. ''Forgiveness.''

A spluttering cough burst from the downed legionary as his mind struggled to comprehend Nemeon's words. Nemeon knew he couldn't understand, as his claw swung down tearing through ceramite, flesh and bone, Nemeon knew he wouldn't understand.

+++++

While many of the 312th battalion would earn an infamous reputation amongst the IIIXth during the shadow crusade, none were feared as much as the Tyranthikoi Terminator cohort. Oathsworn and bloodbound to protect the Warsmith of the 312th, the Tyranthikoi bore the spiked shoulder guard synonymous with the 312th's elite troops. The 312th's emblem was the Red Keep, a stronghold on Olympia famed for its murderous defences that drew as much blood as the defenders themselves. As such, a barbed shoulder guard was adopted by many of rank within the battalion, to pay homage to that vicious emblem.

+++++

gallery_58164_12214_281296.jpg

gallery_58164_12214_501561.jpg

gallery_58164_12214_606373.jpg

gallery_58164_12214_97325.jpg

+++++

First Terminator down, 6 more to go, and the fluff grooooooows!

Pretty happy with how he's turned out, still waiting to do some freehand greek symbols/legion symbols on these guys in general. The plan is to get my half of the BaC box set done to a gaming standard, go back for details, then start the next half. Maybe before then I can sort out a better camera, haha.

C&C appreciated.

Got a little painting done today, 4 more terminators have their basic armour done. Now its on to details.

Thought i'd share a shot of the combi-meltas i gave them.

gallery_58164_12214_716619.jpg

I sliced off a barrel and drum from the combi-bolter, then took one of the combi-melta attachments from the 40k Tac Squad kit and sliced off the barrel and fuel cell, then i glued them onto the combi-bolter. Simples! How many times can you fit the word combi in a sentence?

The armour on these guys is fantastic. If you are willing I would really like to know how you achieved the affect. I have often found that pure metallic Iron Warriors can sometimes be garish but these are fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Looking good, mate. Glad to see you active with a paintbrush again. thumbsup.gif

Cheers, Dos. smile.png

Mate, these are amazing, I love your metallics, and the way your black armour plates look so weathered... making me want to go back and repaint my guy's shoulders now. Can't wait to see more!

Cheers bro! Gotta admit I was starting to wish I'd painted mine like yours, haha.

The armour on these guys is fantastic. If you are willing I would really like to know how you achieved the affect. I have often found that pure metallic Iron Warriors can sometimes be garish but these are fantastic.

Thanks man, yeah by all means. Next time I paint a regular marine I'll see if i can put together a step by step if people would be interested.

Looking good man. Not sure if I'm the biggest fan of the combi-meltas (the spot where you cut off the ammo drum looks... odd, IMO) but there's no doubt that they are combi-meltas, and the painting's as good as ever.

Thats fair, Psycho! I think they look alright.

Been sitting on these guys for a while! Probably a month or so, just getting around to taking pictures atm.

Still can't consistently pull off a nice picture, its a real pain in the ass.

Anyway, hope you like.

gallery_58164_12214_802736.jpg

Quick shot of the ''hazards'' which you can't really see from the front. They're on all the Claws/Fists/ :)

gallery_58164_12214_216895.jpg

Really like this ''pointing'' guy.

gallery_58164_12214_991415.jpg

Scrolling through this WIP has been a joy! Really love the dirtiness of the models and the blue glow of the helmet lenses is really well done. (How?) Look forward to seeing the dreads get painted up and a smurf squished! Keep up the awesome work

Archived