Dark angels win the BAO

JJD

It seems the Bay Area Open one of the largest US single player tournaments was won by Brandon Grant playing a Dark Angel battle company. From what I can gather he was not using a Death Star and it was a pure DA list. Congratulations to him especially as most people see the DA battle company as inferior to White Scars and Iron Hands.

If anyone knows where to find the list I would be very interested to see it.

The winning list , I remade it in Battlescribe, and it seems to be over by 20 points. Also the list doesnt really make sense to me? how did it beat oh so many deathstars and stormsurges. one guy brought a freaking Manta...

Lion’s Blade Strike Force

Company Master: (Warlord) Fist, Artificer Armor

Chaplain: Bike, Auspex

Tactical Squad: Rhino, Grav-Cannon,

Tactical Squad: Rhino, Multi-Melta

Tactical Squad: Razorback (HB), Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad: Razorback (HB)

Tactical Squad: Razorback (HB)

Tactical Squad: Pod, Melta/Combi-Melta

Assault Squad: 2x Flamers, Pod

Assault Squad: 2x Flamers, Pod

Devastator Squad: Rhino, Grav-Cannon

Devastator Squad: Rhino, Grav-Cannon

Scouts

Ravenwing Strike Force

Techmarine: Bike, Auspex

Ravenwing Command Squad: 5 Black Knights, Apothecary, 5 Plasma Talons, Grenade Launcher

Ravenwing Black Knight Squad: 5 Black Knights, Huntmaster, 5 Plasma Talons, Grenade Launcher

Ravenwing Darkshroud

It ended up on 1850 on the point when I remade it.

mine ended up being 2020, did he give Devastators 4 canons each or one each?

1 grav cannon each. As you can see the assault squad got 2 flamers per squad.

fair enough thats why my points didnt match.

Still quite crazy how he managed to win.

Any Battle Company played properly will be a hard army to beat in a tournament setting given the amount of OB Sec

The big issue is the kill point round if he was V another high kill point army or he managed to table them then it makes life a lot easier in getting 6 & 0

And the real bad match up for most is Eldar and in general Black Knights run them over, they don't have much in the way of ignores cover  and since the FAQ crystalized the Ignores jink doesn't invalidate a re-rollable cover save were in a better position than most.

Any Battle Company played properly will be a hard army to beat in a tournament setting given the amount of OB Sec

The big issue is the kill point round if he was V another high kill point army or he managed to table them then it makes life a lot easier in getting 6 & 0

And the real bad match up for most is Eldar and in general Black Knights run them over, they don't have much in the way of ignores cover  and since the FAQ crystalized the Ignores jink doesn't invalidate a re-rollable cover save were in a better position than most.

what do you mean ignores jink doesnt invalidate rerollable cover save? If it ignores jink doesnt it just mean i cant jink therefore no reroll?

The Ravenwing rule says if you elect to jink you can re-roll your cover saves

We've always played it that it ignores jink + skilled rider & doesn't ignore cover saves & if you elect to jink you can re-roll your cover save

The Eldar FAQ confirmed that this is the correct reading, it doesn't stop you electing to jink so you can 4+4+ and back up to 3 with the Dark Shroud which if obscured by a building is on its full 2+2+

The battle company is an amazing list that is very hard to win high against. It has the mobility the numbers and the ability to score points. But it lacks punch. It as hard to win high with it as it is against it, and that is were those black knights come in. They give the list the punch it need and the ability to pursue the enemy on the table if it decides to just stay out of range. Plus the Knights are fast and durable which allows for setting up traps against harder units.

I play a 1650 version of this list with one black knight unit for a while now and it is amazing.

I tried a double demi a couple of weeks ago against necrons.....i held to 4-4 at turn 2.....then it went rapidly downhill.....no big bang meant i got overwhelmed, and i dont care what anyone says, an overlord with a warscythe is a b#$×/^%=

This list has two big things IMHO...

First a full battle company mechanised MSU... it's a total of 22 objective grabbing units...

Second the RW detachment... It's based only on BK with the support of a DS... it's one of the most badass deathstars in the game right now... I Always use a DS supporting a DWCS and my friends hate this unit...

IMHO this is a very versatile and strong list containing one of the strongest units in 40K... the BK/DWCS...

This list has two big things IMHO...

First a full battle company mechanised MSU... it's a total of 22 objective grabbing units...

Second the RW detachment... It's based only on BK with the support of a DS... it's one of the most badass deathstars in the game right now... I Always use a DS supporting a DWCS and my friends hate this unit...

IMHO this is a very versatile and strong list containing one of the strongest units in 40K... the BK/DWCS...

True and your BK's are extremely good at getting round the flanks and eating through the backfield, they are a knightmare to deal with tying up your opponents tactics & resources

I had a similar list but at only 1k points recently in a tournament. The DA did well for me as I came in 3rd, but would have actually been first had certain players not abused rules for the specific style of tourny it was. Either way, DA are not overpowered, but when played intelligently, they are a force to be reckoned with. We are the First. All others look to us as inspiration, or ridicule us out of jealousy. For the Lion, For the Emperor

Archived