Successor choices..........

Adeptus-Alaska

Hello guys it's been a while but I'm back. In my local meta DA are not very present. I mean to change that. But I don't want to do strait DA.

So I need to choose and I need your help.

The choices

1. Angeles of Vengeance. Never see these guys.

2. Angels of Vigilance. Because yellow dark angels would rule. And I never see these guys either.

3. Star Phantoms. I know like the above they're "suspected" but I've liked them for a while. And I think they could bring a new dynamic to the Rock.

Let the voting begin. Just give a reason

I vote Angels of Absolution... But I'm a little biased :p

Seriously though, I'd say Angels of Vigilance. If I hadn't been a DA player for 20+ years, I probably would've gone Imperial Fists, just because a well painted yellow army looks so striking. There's very little canon on these guys, so you have tons of room to be creative

If you are up for the challenge of painting yellow then go AoVig. It also has better tie into the DA without overtly saying it

AoV is an easier paint scheme and could be good to get a person tournament ready fairly quickly.

Star Phantoms doesn't scream DA enough if you are trying to represent the DA at you local group.

Another option is go with a combined force with units from different chapters. The Unforgiven are close enough that they will team up if needed. Particularly if a certain gunslinger or his friends are around.

The first two choices are both difficult to paint, which is the main reason you don't see them much I suspect. I personally vote for either one though, a they should be a very striking-looking force when all done up.

The Star Phantoms are not really DA enough for me, as they are only "suspected" to be of DA geneseed...

Angels of Vigilance are a 'rare' one, so you would have the fun of being unique around your local gaming scene - so that's a good reason.  But, ultimately, you need to decide which one you can stand painting hours worth of "greenwing" (or yellowwing I suppose...) and will need to remember your 1st and 2nd Coy colour schemes too, because, like the rest of us you will probably end up hooked as an "unforgiven"!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/DA%20Minis/ab8fddfd-a01b-469a-b6dd-eae54a71a780_zpspjvcvdxs.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/DA%20Minis/f5beb3ed-462c-43a2-8898-e04cf6b0bb7b_zpsnlbhz0du.jpg

Some of mine for inspiration. I mixed in bone with the yellow. It helped to go on better and the bone's influence makes it tie in with my other Unforgiven.

Privateer Press do a great colour called P3 Moldy Ochre that might be just what you need for your Angels of Vigilance.

It covers pretty well, and is a dustier more faded sort of colour that's easy to shade with a little sepia and highlight with a little ivory.

You can still glaze carefully with a thinned yellow ink if you feel it needs to be more saturated, but I have a suspicion that you'll like the main colour! :-)

Privateer Press do a great colour called P3 Moldy Ochre that might be just what you need for your Angels of Vigilance.

It covers pretty well, and is a dustier more faded sort of colour that's easy to shade with a little sepia and highlight with a little ivory.

You can still glaze carefully with a thinned yellow ink if you feel it needs to be more saturated, but I have a suspicion that you'll like the main colour! :-)

I love p3 paints. I have mixed that colour with taught Sept ochre for a commission before and it was awesome.

Also, due to their proximity to the Eye of Terror, whenever the Cadian Gate becalms, they can be seen in their ships, moving into the Eye to fight the forces of Chaos in their own territory.[1]

Several times their Chapter Master has failed to heed the calls of the High Lords of Terra, and their loyalty has been called into question by some quarters.[1]

Little background, but I like them already! 

The only real lore that was ever published for the Angels of Vigilance was during the Third War for Armageddon:

The origins of the Angels of Vigilance are shrouded in mystery. It is suspected that the Chapter came into existence during the Second Founding, but it is unknown from which Legion their gene-seed originates. Given the monastic nature and unflinching devotion to duty of the Space Marines within the Chapter's ranks, it is believed that they may be one of the Dark Angel's successor Chapters. However this is unconfirmed and certainly the Chapter is not listed in the Apocrypha of Davio as such.

The fortress monastery of the Angels of Vigilance is a gigantic orbital dock circling the world of Pervigilium. These docks are situated just outside the Cadian Gate, the stable corridor of space that leads from the Eye of Terror to Earth. Each time the fleets of Chaos vomit from the Eye of Terror, the Angels of Vigilance muster to fight them. Each time warp space is calm enough to allow passage, the Angels of Vigilance take the fight to the forces of Chaos.

However unlike many other Chapters of Space Marines, the Angels of Vigilance have never once mobilised their entire Chapter to fight in warzones across the galaxy. Each battle brother has sworn a blood oath that the monastery shall never be undefended and each time the Chapter has been called to war, at least one company is duty bound to remain on the monastery. Several times in the Chapter's history the Masters of the order have had their loyalty questioned when they have ignored the High Lords of Terra's requests for the Chapter's aid.

The source of this blood oath is unrecorded, but Imperial histories show that in the years following the Horus Heresy, the Dark Angels Legion of Space Marines disobeyed direct orders from the High Lords of Terra and launched a campaign against the ruling castes of Pervigilium. Years later, following the Second Founding, the Angels of Vigilance took up station around the planet and have kept watch on it and the Eye of Terror ever since.

That lore doesn't explicitly say that the Angels of Vigilance are Successors of the Dark Angels Legion, but that is a highly plausible interpretation of the lore. There are really only three points of "evidence" for this conclusion:

• monastic nature (very weak argument - certainly Chapters from any lineage might exhibit monastic tendencies)
  • the relationship between the Dark Angels Legion and Pervigilium during the Great Crusade through the arrival of the Angels of Vigilance)
  • Chapter naming convention (many Chapters descended from the Dark Angels Legion use the "Angels of ~" taxonomy, though not all Dark Angels Legion Successors follow this pattern and Chapters descended from other Legions have been known to follow this pattern - the Angels of Fury are an official Ultramarines Successor)
To confound this possibility, however, the Angels of Vigilance were included in the mini Successors booklet that was released with the collectors edition of the current Codex: Space Marines, indicating that they were/are a Codex Chapter. That doesn't necessarily preclude them from descending from the First Legion, of course, but it does complicate matters somewhat.

So while I am firmly in the camp that believes that the Angels of Vigilance are descended from the Dark Angels Legion, I caution anyone on asserting that they must be so.

Archived