Deathwatch for RPG and 40k

Hey guys,

so, there is only one thing I've ever loved more than Blood Angels in the 41st millenium, and that's the deathwatch. Some few of you may remember a whopping 11 years ago I did a bunch of deathwatch, and I've been a massive fan of the concept since the original Artemis model came out for the Inquisitor RPG/Tabletop Skirmish Game.

Anyhoo, as a recap here are a couple of pictures of those old deathwatch.

and then i did some true scale ones a number of years later that I eventually sent to Swintha from these boards

then I got into the deathwatch RPG and made a character model - I Will definitely be making an updated version of this chap...

Anyway, past behind us and all that, I used to be terrible for keeping models I'd built so sadly have none of the above anymore, I likewise in recent years haven't done anywhere near as much painting as I used to, and as such my skills are more than a little rusty.

But over the last couple of days I've started on a test model for some new deathwatch, these will be built with the intent that they CAN be used for 40k (or more likely, zone mortalis type games) but will more likely be used for the Deathwatch RPG which I plan to run again sometime soon.

gallery_14877_12279_62905.jpg

gallery_14877_12279_216598.jpg

gallery_14877_12279_203854.jpg

gallery_14877_12279_20003.jpg

So far, the black has just had some pre shading done with eshin grey, initially airbrushed, and then heavily reworked with thinned black and a brush, the gold is probably nearly done, i might go back with some glazes and maybe some pure silver here and there, silver on his left arm needs more shading and some highlights... but yeah, progress, probably the most on a single model i've painted in the best part of a year!

So I've had a nice evening painting and made some good progress, really happy with how the model is coming out, still a lot more to do though, gold needs to be given some layers of lighter golds and probably a glaze or two, silver needs final highlights and possibly another blue glaze on the left arm. Blue needs to have highlights added, white needs another fine highlight (the slight subtlety in shading is sadly lost in these pictures) purity seals and power sword are barely started, not 100% on how to paint the sword beyond the grey knight steel base colour i have! The pistol might need to be removed somehow anyway considering they apparently don't get pistols (SERIOUSLY?!?!...)

anyway, pictures!

med_gallery_14877_12279_556287.jpg

med_gallery_14877_12279_459163.jpg

(I have fixed the smudge in the highlight on the elbow... noticed it after taking this picture.)

med_gallery_14877_12279_428474.jpg

med_gallery_14877_12279_287863.jpg

med_gallery_14877_12279_827977.jpg

oh yeah... what colour should the grenades be?

so, i've not really gotten much done, see a couple weeks ago, my wife had our second boy, but he was born at 29 weeks (11 weeks premature), he's a fighter but he's been up and down, but with a name like Gabriel (to go with Nathaniel) He'll be tough! On top of that, I've gone back to work where I'm involved in some pretty big projects which has been time consuming and stressful, but I've continued to get the odd bit of time for painting modelling.

med_gallery_14877_12279_661055.jpg

Here is where the test marine stands, since the last picture I've just:

finished up the white, finished the silver areas (all of them), finished the gold and finished the brown areas. So just the bolt pistol (which probably still needs to be replaced...) and the purity seals to go.

med_gallery_14877_12279_352083.jpg

med_gallery_14877_12279_2559.jpg

med_gallery_14877_12279_176899.jpg

as well as that, I had a look at the death masque stuff, haven't done much - Artemis is built, no point in taking a pic as he's built totally stock.

I've also had a go at making a basic bolter marine by using the arms from the shotgun, a spare left hand and the spare bolt gun that comes in the kit.

med_gallery_14877_12279_78828.jpgmed_gallery_14877_12279_256370.jpg

Which pose is better? the head position makes a difference between firing off to his left and just walking forward... also, any details anyone can suggest as additions to the model to make his Imperial fist origin more obvious??

I also had a play about with a set of the vanguard legs with doing mk8 running legs, needs to be sanded down and other leg needs to be done, but pretty happy as the basis (will probably be a blood angel for obvious me reasons)

med_gallery_14877_12279_88039.jpgmed_gallery_14877_12279_91645.jpg

Great DW work here Blindhamster - lovely crisp painting and sculpting! Good job on the Mk. 8 running legs as well, could you please keep us updated of your progress with those? It looks like something I'd like to try eventually...

Congratulations on the addition to the family biggrin.png

Firstly MASSIVE congrats to you and yours with the little dude. Future Blood Angel? :)

Ultra looks great mate, to your usual high standard. Very crisp. :tu:

The bolter marine is also looking great, very 'chunky' looking. The new kits that GW produce really are a cut above aren't they? I like what you have done with his chest too. Can't have them all looks no the same can we? For poses I prefer the second.

Your Mk VIII legs look great already too, but then your sculpting always does!

Archived