Slaanesh Daemon Prince, wings and Black Mace

Maelarion

"Pitiful mortals. You think we come to end you? No. We are here to give you the gift of eternity."

- Akumu, Lieutenant of the Disciples of Perfidy

13613244_10154157084830865_4377048992217

Been a while since I posted. Pleased at this kitbash, so here you go :).  It's yet another project I'm working on, a Slaanesh Warband (also doind DIY marines, IG, and Inquisition). This is my daemon prince (wings with a Black Mace, obviously :D). Chucked a basic filter on it to make it look a bit snazzy.

As soon as I saw the new Sylvaneth bits, I just knew I had to make a Slaanesh warband incorporating that aesthetic.

Still WIP, this is a semi-dry fit (wing's have been fixed to the back, feet are pinned to the base).

I'll be giving it a different head, waiting on a Grotesque to arrive. Wrack heads are too small, and Talos ones are too big. Ergo, I hope the Grotesque one will be just right.

It's an amazing piece!

I'm trying to figure out how it fits the Slaaneshi aesthetic, as opposed to Tzeentchian aesthetic (which is what it actually looks like to me).

Now you have ideas swirling in my head!!! As if I didn't have enough to do...

Lovely!

What colour checks are you planning?

Not fully sure, but purples, black and pink will feature a lot. Here's a mockup I did in photoshop while brainstorming the kitbash. Not all pieces made it in, as the relative sizes are a bit off (DP shoulder pads are too big, for example).

13709952_10154103494785865_3125144272344

I'm either going to go for his power armour was warped and changed to what you see now, in which case it will be a similar tone to what the normal CSM will be wearing. Perhaps a pinkish/purplish gold colour.

Alternatively, I might go the fluff route of he's bound to pieces of metal that allow him to inhabit the material plane, sort of like an Avatar of Khaine. In that case, I might go for a more cast iron look for the armour-like parts.

It's an amazing piece!

I'm trying to figure out how it fits the Slaaneshi aesthetic, as opposed to Tzeentchian aesthetic (which is what it actually looks like to me).

Now you have ideas swirling in my head!!! As if I didn't have enough to do...

Yeah it could also work for Tzeentch, even Nurgle with the right paintjob. I wanted to do a Slaanesh force without the boobs and bondage gear look. I'll be using Sylvaneth Dryads for Daemonettes, and I'm going to convert Durthu into a Keeper of Secrets.

The fluff will be they gain pleasure from the anticipation of subjecting their victims to horror, and also binding some victims to metal frames and constructs where the only way for those who have been subjected to this treatment to forget their tortured existence is to inflict pain and degradation to others. Basically, a fluff reason for converting these into possessed and a great spined chaos beast smile.png :

99120204016_SpiteRevenant01.jpg99120204017_DrycaHamadreth01.jpg

Love the kitbash; I share the concern other expressed though, that it might look too Tzeentchian, especially with blues and purples etc. I'm no colour genius but I would suggest maybe something like this - gold, white and ivory, with bits of jade as a spot colour for contrast. This would play more to the 'shiny glorious ego' kind of Slaaneshi mindset (think Sigvald, pre-Heresy Lucius etc etc), keep it from looking Tzeentchian, and give you a colour palette that would really stand out as you don't normally see those colours featured much in Chaos armies. So, for example, the wings could be gold frame, with the 'feathers' shading from white to ivory and maybe some very subtle jade highlights at the tips. Also, having the ivory established on the wings would allow you to do actual marble on any armour pieces, veining it with dark gray and jade lines on the flat areas and having gold trim. 

Just a thought, anyway :)

Love the kitbash; I share the concern other expressed though, that it might look too Tzeentchian, especially with blues and purples etc. I'm no colour genius but I would suggest maybe something like this - gold, white and ivory, with bits of jade as a spot colour for contrast. This would play more to the 'shiny glorious ego' kind of Slaaneshi mindset (think Sigvald, pre-Heresy Lucius etc etc), keep it from looking Tzeentchian, and give you a colour palette that would really stand out as you don't normally see those colours featured much in Chaos armies. So, for example, the wings could be gold frame, with the 'feathers' shading from white to ivory and maybe some very subtle jade highlights at the tips. Also, having the ivory established on the wings would allow you to do actual marble on any armour pieces, veining it with dark gray and jade lines on the flat areas and having gold trim.

Just a thought, anyway smile.png

Hmm yes I see what you're getting at.

I'll do some more mockups in photoshop to see how various schemes look :).

Would Terminator pauldrons fit it?

I feel like it needs some armour and gubbinz to root it better in 40k.

I'll have another look. Reason I considered DP ones first (theyre too big it turns out) is that it's still clearly was a shoulder pad, but it looks quite changed/mutated.

Most of the chaos PA and TDA ones i saw were chaosy, sure, but mainly added spikes/arrows. I'll look again :).

How about a loincloth with the Slaanesh icon on it? That would make it quite clear msn-wink.gif

To tech-up the armour a bit, some wire, guitar wire or GS cabling snaking about would help.

Yeah some good ideas, might get a Slaanesh symbol in there somehow to make it obvious.

Might consider teching it up a bit too. Although, this guy is meant to have been a DP for long enough that any traces of his former appearance have long since been lost :).

daemon princes basically look exactly as they chose, the armour is mostly from habit for ex marines but is pure warpstuff. I wouldn't worry to much about it. now to tie it into Slaanesh I always like to look at the 6 circles I recon you could link them nicely to the Excess of Achievement where a traveller is at risk of the very forest coming alive and devouring them should they stop and stare into the pools for to long. 

As a side I really like the look of the head in the painting mock up, the blue tacked one seems a little small though and I can;t make out the details as well in that picture. 

Definitely an interesting take on a slaanesh daemon and looking forward to seeing more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, only a quick update, been really busy with work and will continue to be (moving flat soon).

What I've been able to do is get a Grotesque head, which is just about the perfect size.

Next thing will be finding him some kind of crown / crest I think.

I'll post again when I have some ideas about that and see what you guys think smile.png.

2016-08-16%2020.39.37.jpg?raw=1

Slightly different angle:

2016-08-16%2020.44.55.jpg?raw=1

If you already have the Revenants box, what's the chance you could use the banner top for a crown by clipping it from the banner, putting it in some watm water, and wrapping it around the head? It would be consistant with the rest of your army and the model as well as a part already in your bits...

Just a suggestion.

Archived