The Slayers miniature adventures

So for awhile I've wanted to make nice elaborate terrain and the likes as I'm sure most of us do at some point, and finally got up and started my madness because hey dreams, also it will give me a nice back drop to models that I paint.http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/armata_PDT_14.gif So let me show you the madness within http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

I decided that I wanted to make some gaming tables for myself and got hold of all the necessary components over the course of 2 or so years and finally got stuck into it in the last month.
Enough MDF to make up 4 tables all cut into 2x2 foot squares.
ZyhzK3H.jpg?1

And boxes of GW terrain.
I3nPl07.jpg?1

7RS24mY.jpg?1

The first table is the Trench wall of Martyrs set up, it was all measured and marked out before the mdf was routed out so that it could all sit in the board rather then on top.

OEu3RQP.jpg?2

n7ldiR1.jpg?1

Once the boards were routed out all the parts were glued in then gaps filled with wood putty. The first layer of texture was a mix of wood putty and fine/course sands and applied with a large paint brush, when the putty began to cure I stippled the top with the same brush to emulate uneven surface divots then once fully cured I washed the top with watered down pva then lightly sprinkled the sand mix over the top to deepen the texture and hide all the brush strokes.

gHHBqeL.jpg?1

TklZT3J.jpg?1

I decided that a road should bisect the board to help with the visual feel and it not just be trenches and sand.
I used the same wood putty sand mix but made the first layer slightly wetter with more sand for heavy coverage and made sure that all brush strokes followed the same path. The next layer I went thicker with the putty and lighter with the sand and followed the direction of the first layer, this layer helped to create divots and pot hole in the surface of the road as the putty dried quickly and lifted easily from the first layer when more pressure was applied helping to give it a heavily neglected and worn appearance. This will become clearer once it has been painted.

mdJVWBF.jpg?1

kUq3taD.jpg?1

I'm hoping to get more done over the next couple of days including filling and sculpting the blasted trench parts then onto painting before the end of the weekend :smile.:

• 3 months later...

So I've been derailed from the majority of ongoing projects such as the tench table and my 30k Blood Angels something I'm sure we all experience from time to time :tongue.: The Table has had more work done to it, the craters have been sculpted on and a ton of gap filling and texture build up has happened but I had to pack it away while family where around visiting so not much else has happened yet but soon hopefully. But I decided to start a SoH army in the meantime with a few goodies and some must haves :smile.: I'm hoping to get these done quickly enough to get back to the table before too long.

To begin with Maloghurst the twisted, he unlocks Veterans and Reavers as troops and he's a Legion standard bearer so much awesome for his point cost.

TSba2s7.jpg

xAe5DZZ.jpg

The FW event miniature seemed the closes to the artwork I'd seen of Mal and given his broken body the pose works very well for a model planted on the spot a bulwark so to speak of, at the front the Eye of Horus watching his sons advance under withering covering fire, retreat is not a option.

I have more to do on him lots of SoH icons to add sculpting/filling gaps, I am in two minds about giving him a cloak. I've seen pics of him wearing a loin cloth made of a flensed Astartes so not sure where to go here, cloak or loin cloth?

• 2 months later...

Back into the hobby after a short hiatus, still assembling the mass that is the Sons of Horus. I'll pretty much assemble the lot before moving onto sculpting then finally painting before the end of this month, I hope :tongue.:

Work started again with a Leviathan Dreadnought followed by a Contemptor, I magnetised the arms and weapons on both dreads and even hinged the leviathans claw power unit so the whole thing could be swapped with another option.  I also felt that detail was lacking on the flamer fuel canister on the Contemptors power fist so I added a fuel line and connector ports.

DAraHUc.jpg

IgKy1cx.jpg

KvlluOX.jpg

pwbEaBB.jpg

2AioF4P.jpg

mriv3r5.jpg

I have also started on the infantry for the Sons and got 10 Justaerin Terminators done again magnetising the heavy weapon options. I also started on the troops and decided that they need to have their equipment on for wysiwyg and just they look cooler actually having ammo pouches, grenades and combat blades showing. I did shorten the combat blade as I felt it was too long on the model and shouldn't be as big as a sword.

s758xI9.jpg

tmF3Nib.jpg

AtdZYmP.jpg

5VX4zCE.jpg

FzRoZjo.jpg

• 2 months later...

And I'm back http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png and with a big update/data dump 6 weeks of assembly and sculpting to be precise O_O
So work on Maloghurst has slowed as I want to do a tournament that doesn't allow special characters or primarchs, so all the plebs have been getting some love.

So with the Marines and their equipment I decided that the pistol holsters needed leg straps so I sculpted 20 straps http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.png so a new thing to try and I don't think they turned out to badly.

fCoLKjb.jpg

A5gseDa.jpg

I also decided that the arms on the Reavers and MkIV Assault Marines were lacking real movement so I gaped the shoulders and sculpted some flex joints. I only took photos of the Reavers but you'll see the AMs once their finished http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

N3YPP9R.jpg

jksafKm.jpg

QD5jIx4.jpg

And not content with all the sculpting/filling I did something with the Leviathan Dread.

sNGzrdD.jpg

7i0Pxzm.jpg

And I realised I done goofed with that knee Grimoire as it should have a top piece but I was rushing and it's already on the painting desk so will come back and fix the details I missed. Sloppy I know but these things happen when you rush http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/sleep.png

And now all the painting, well what I've started, about 30% done atm.
I did cheat some due the amount of work and used a can of black primer on it all, well 2 cans but anyway.
Also ignore some of the infantry shot as there was another project I primed at the same time so it does make it appear larger then it is. Total tally of infantry is 20 Marines, 10 Assault marines, 10 Reavers and 10 Justaerin.
Vehicles to be done are Spartan, Glaive, Contemptor, Leviathan, Sicaran battle tank, Vindicator demolisher, Vindicator Destructor, 2 Predators ( Mars ), 2 Rhinos ( Deimos ) 2 Dreadclaws, Dready Pod, and a Xiphon. So a far bit to do http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.png

HBpdkPA.jpg

RC14nAM.jpg

Once the primer had dried I pre-shaded everything with Tamiya neutral grey then mixed up a sea green out of 70% Kabalite green and 30% Incubi green, this was the closes colour combo that I had on hand to match a old pot of GW Scaly green. I then highlighted the center of the panels with strait Kabalite green.
The result is a deep sea green that I believe will pop nicely with the weathering I have planned.

Ruxvu4J.jpg

2EHoIwv.jpg

HdfjJp7.jpg

So much green!

crufWPh.jpg

323BsEr.jpg

That is a lot of stuff! I'am looking forward to seeing some fully painted modells. The leg straps look as if they were on the modell from the begining, so really good work!

That is a lot of stuff! I'am looking forward to seeing some fully painted modells. The leg straps look as if they were on the modell from the begining, so really good work!

Crazy amount. I don't think I've ever painted this much at once before, it will be good to see it finished. Thanks, I was straining hard while sculpting the clasps on but the strap/belt itself is quite easy.

Update http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png only a small one. So I've established that I like heavily worn tanks, you know WWI gone through hell and then got bogged in a mud pit http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.png I feel this style should be dubbed the Keef Richards, worn, beaten but still functional some how. I'm looking at you XIVth legion players http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png

So as it stands all the tanks/fliers/pods are at this stage and will get further weathering with pigments and oils as soon as the weather itself gets better here http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

9NzgToF.jpg

Going for worn tarnished metal treads, the dust layer will hopefully take the high shine off.

jnZMXpc.jpg

And still need to do the atmospheric effects but oh so close

Irb1nUr.jpg

G2Pflsf.jpg

A nice short post http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif  Will try and break the net with the next one http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png

Nice man, but are you adding any iconography?

Btw I love the green, very similar method to how I did my own XVIth

I am planning on some decals I did buy the FW sheet for it, but I loaded up with etched brass and I'll be honest I think I've limited where and what decals I can use :unsure.:

Excellent work and that's a lovely green! :thumbsup:

I do hope you'll finish off that table sometime too.

I'm aiming to get most of these minis finished soon as I've taken time off just to pour my attention onto that table. Though it sits at 90% finished it just needs some fine detailing and some minor cleanup before painting...sooo close.

Nice posing, all the extra little details look great too.

Just that little extra can make such a difference :yes: They are such great models but they get let down by the limited posing that can be done, those Reavers are pretty much a single cast and that limits variety greatly.

Dude that Mal is pretty sweet looking :O !!! But also, the leg strap, that was genius! i know in most of the novels they say "mag locked to his hip" but good for you for crafting 20 of those, i never really like the mag lock idea LOL

Question for you, I'm struggling with finding a green for my SoH so i'm hunting here and there to see what others have come up with.  

You mentioned you used "70% Kabalite green and 30% Incubi green"   Incubi green?  Is that an old colour, that i will now cry about never finding:cry:, or did you mean GW's Incubi Darkness?

Hahaha wow I've only just noticed the large Eye icon on the Spartan door...looking good man!

Hahah wont be long and it'll stand out nicely.

That's a respectable pile of resin (and plastic) :jawdrop:  And really sweet paintjob. 

Great work!

Cheers :) It is quite a sight when it's all out on display, very much a madmans dream :teehee:

Oh wow man! Im loving this project, go back to the terrain, I have a similar amount of buildings in boxes so I need inspiration :wink: also I love your models! certainly a large army!

I have some crazy plans for terrain after this and the next project are complete. But that table will be finish soon I can taste the dust already :wink:

Love the dark paintscheme and the conversions. Also, I envy your GS skill.

Darker paint schemes just fit the grimdark imo.  Cheers, I'll just say that I'm still learning how to work the material but having the right tools makes life so much easier. But this is just a prelude to a larger sculpted project still to come :whistling:

Dude that Mal is pretty sweet looking :ohmy.: !!! But also, the leg strap, that was genius! i know in most of the novels they say "mag locked to his hip" but good for you for crafting 20 of those, i never really like the mag lock idea LOL

Question for you, I'm struggling with finding a green for my SoH so i'm hunting here and there to see what others have come up with.  

You mentioned you used "70% Kabalite green and 30% Incubi green"   Incubi green?  Is that an old colour, that i will now cry about never finding:cry:, or did you mean GW's Incubi Darkness?

I hear you on the maglocks, it makes for great fluff but some how I feel it doesn't fit the physical representation in 28mm. But 20 felt like a life draining exercise :wacko.: but well worth the effort.

Yes! sorry it is Incubus Darkness :blush.: my bad. I also got hold of the Coelia Greenshade but I found it darkened that green to much and made everything far to flat. Hope that helps :happy.:

• 1 year later...

So it's been awhile, the whole Photobucket thing was crap and after loosing my photos to them shut down that account. I'm only recently been slowly updating and fixing the blogs. But this does mean new stuff 9576fdd015edbd19edbaabd1556a4944.gif
So following the trench table this has since been complete but I'll likely add more to it in the future as it's a bit bare for a 40k table but works perfectly in 30k.
So following the table build after all the texturing was dry I went about sculpting the craters I used just woodputty mix with water making sure it was kept firm but moist enough to smooth out with my fingers and sculpting tools. Once dry I used a Dremel rotary tool to carve out and texture the craters.

975756_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975755_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975757_sm-Bomb%20Damage%2C%20Craters%2C%

975754_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

Painting was a mixture of Airbrush, spraycan and paintgun. All the buildings were primed with german grey spray paint they then were preshaded with neutral bluegrey I then sponged on dark green grey and dark blue grey in random places then went over it all this a heavily thinned german grey from the airbrush so all the layers would show through.

975759_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975763_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975761_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975762_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975764_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975765_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975770_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

All the walkways were preshaded the same as the buildings and airbrushed with hull red and sponged on metallic grey.

975772_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975768_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

The field guns were painted the same as the buildings.

975767_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975766_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

975769_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

The road was spray painted deep blue grey and dry brushed with neutral grey. I then masked off areas and made road lines and stopping bays with matt white.

975760_sm-Game%20Table%2C%20Terrain%2C%2

the sand was hit with desert yellow from a spray can then dark yellow touched here and there, neutral earth was airbrushed about the place and the craters were painted with it also. Everything was sealed with a gloss varnish and then desert yellow enamel was thinned down into a wash and liberally applied to everything and any excess was wiped away with a rag once it had stated to harden. Any ares that needed more cleaning were done with a cotton tip and enamel thinners before everything was sealed with a matt varnish.

I'm honestly not very happy with the end result of the sand and am planning on coming back to it to try and make it more realistic.

Archived