Reposing a Dunecrawler's legs?

Anyone done any sort of reposing with a Dunecrawler?

I don't really understand why I'd want the legs flopping around (the "don't glue here" instructions), and I've seen very few images in a Google search where the legs were in any pose but an X formation.

Anyone have pictures of their Dunecrawler to share?  Love the model, but I'm not feeling particularly inspired about a pose for the legs that wouldn't require substantial cutting and rebuilding/greenstuffing, which I don't have time for on this project.

I'm interested also. I tried to fancy up my 2 onagers so far by not doing the generic x, but it still looks the same. I tried having one in more of a y shape, like it's bracing its front legs for the recoil of shooting. The other I think I posed to look like it was stepping. Both look like the usual x at a glance, though.

I suppose it's possible.  You could probably chop the whole leg off where it joins the central hub to re-pose, though you'd have to be careful not to lose too much plastic.  Changing the bend of the leg, though; you'll need some very small tubing and green stuff work for that!

That was something I would have liked to try myself but you would have to cut in so many places and introduce rods for the pistons. When you see kits like the Leviathan Crusader as shown in this link: https://youtu.be/vL6joyP_-78?t=134

While the video is about a size comparison between the Imperial Knight and the Leviathan Crusader it shows the pose-able pistons. Sure that might be fiddly, but if they had decided to design the Dunecrawler legs in a similar way to that would have been amazing. It's been given rules to represent the ability to traverse rough terrain and they have made it really hard to portray that on the model. :p

I would love to see the legs reposed to see how far they can move. The bottom pistol looks like it would restrict the range of movement too far to me. Best of luck to anyone that attemps this conversion. :)

I haven't glued the legs but actually it's for tidying purpose.

I've put magnets on the "feet"

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Mechanicus/AFD33464-78BA-4FD6-A7AE-2B4A7CB5369F.jpg

And under the base

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Mechanicus/2BE9E895-96F1-40F3-ABD3-699097427270.jpg

That way I gather the legs 2by2 when I put my onager in the case and I put the base upon the... => lesser space. That way I can put 3 kataphrons and 3 onagers in the same tray.

Cutting the legs apart is a bit of work, but always worth it. I always pick the 2 slightly longer legs and make them even flatter/longer (including feet), then start experimenting with poses, and glue/milliputt it in place when okay. Only have a pic of crawler 1/3 available, but might help:

adona9hq87.jpg

Cutting the legs apart is a bit of work, but always worth it. I always pick the 2 slightly longer legs and make them even flatter/longer (including feet), then start experimenting with poses, and glue/milliputt it in place when okay. Only have a pic of crawler 1/3 available, but might help:

adona9hq87.jpg

Those look really nice but when you extend the legs like that you end up with rods that are too long to fit into the tube of the hydraulics. It's only a nitpick, but that's pretty much the reason I think the lower sets of joints seem an odd design from GW.

I would be too worried about the legs becoming fragile after such a delicate conversion. You pulled it off though. :)

adona9hq87.jpg

Haha, nice Fallout nod.

Those look really nice but when you extend the legs like that you end up with rods that are too long to fit into the tube of the hydraulics. It's only a nitpick, but that's pretty much the reason I think the lower sets of joints seem an odd design from GW.

I would be too worried about the legs becoming fragile after such a delicate conversion. You pulled it off though. smile.png

Yeah, the hydraulics don't make that much sense when extended so far, but the realistic length just doesn't allow dynamic poses. Legs become more fragile, but except for the one pointing leg, I buried them in milliputt hills afterwards, and that settled that. Using the pointy feet and tilting the whole set of legs with milliputt hills at least gives the impression of motion, I have never seen a dynamic-looking pose without some reposing or hills.

Would it be easier to manipulate the innermost joint (the one by the hull) to make it look like it's climbing or descending some terrain? Might avoid having to do the extra-long pistons.   You'd probably also have to free the ball joint at the hull to let it have free motion, but that's really simple.

I'm now wondering how this scales with the sentinel kit. I'm not keen on the quad walker thing (never have been, battletech quad mechs were fugly). But put on top of a set of sentinel legs this could look cool...

Would it be easier to manipulate the innermost joint (the one by the hull) to make it look like it's climbing or descending some terrain? Might avoid having to do the extra-long pistons.   You'd probably also have to free the ball joint at the hull to let it have free motion, but that's really simple.

The innermost is often the only one necessary, but it's a bit of cutting. Extra-long pistons are probably necessary though, to notice a difference.

I'm looking into this as well. I have two Dunecrawlers I got second-hand, preassembled. He used superglue so I can probably break the legs apart, or simply cut them. It would be a lot easier on the sprue but frankly it might not matter. On my Knight, I had to cut away the leg pistons and rebuild them with styrene rods to get them to look right. It worked out just fine, though, and these are very similar construction. I'm actually more concerned about the joints that are molded in place. You'd have to cut them down maybe with a jeweler's saw and then partially rebuild them with Milliput, GS, or a mix of the two (my personal fave). At any rate, I don't mind the legs on these tanks nearly as much as the Dunestriders/Dragoons. I've been working on reposing a couple of them as well. I'll keep one stock, but I added a hip rotation/tilt to the other two, and used two long legs on one and two short legs on the others. It was fairly easy to cut at the lower leg pistons and swap the foot positions around. I'll get pics up sooner or later but they're still in pieces right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived