Lore question about BA look

m0nolith

I thought Astorath was kind of odd, though cool. I'm curious of his age and how he got his "power" to sense DC. They make it sound like he's been around awhile... But what happens when he dies or who did his job before him? Is it just a coincidence he can sense DC or would anyone who is given his rank just have that ability somehow? Why does Seth kick his *** all the time?

What if Astorath is some crazy guy who tricked Dante into thinking he has some special sense for the rage, when really he is just kinda executing random dudes at will... Sorry for going off topic.

Also really curious about the tower. Wonder if they will ever dive into the beastial screams that come from it... Though I doubt I'd like to see the vampire batmen that it sounds like we turn into and hope it doesn't go there...

Matt. Ward.

That's how Astorath senses the DC and all that stuff :P Personally I hate Astorath as a character, much rather we just kept our damn Reclusiarch and Lemartes was our "3W Named Chaplain" who buffed the DC with mega re-rolls. His model is also really hokey.

The tower is cool but another lore thread we probably wont have answered... Plus it stinks of "Well RG had a tower with beastmen Astartes in so why can't the BA?!?"

All things said though, he gave the Sanguinor which I absolutely love!

I'm pretty sure we had it before the Raven Guard in terms of which was written first, but I could be wrong.

But I agree, Lemartes should have stayed our main chaplain. We could have had a different character, like the master of the Sanguinary Guard or Chapter Champion that acted as an upgrade to a Sanguinary Guard.

All chaplains/Sanguinary Priests should be strong enough to execute those who succumb if they needed to. After all, Sanguinary Priests give the Emperor's Final Mercy or whatever to those too wounded to recover, would it not make sense for them to do the same?

I like Astorath right up until the "only executor of Death Company in all the Chapters" bit. No. Just. No.

And as for why he keeps getting his ass handed to him by Seth? Well, Astorath isn't a Chapter Master, is he? :p I'd expect to see Astorath to get trounced by most CMs.

Actually, I'd love to see that. Maybe Helbrect, or Tu'Shan... Mmmm, the story ideas I'm getting

In the fight I read, it was a pretty even fist fight, but astorath was using his jump pack until Seth broke it and tackled him through a window... But yeah CM beats Reclusiarch

Edit: think there was even a line suggesting that astorath was more skilled than Seth and that he was outmatched

My interpretation was that the beastial screams were a reference to the marines howling for blood. But being so far past it they are just bellowing with rage and hunger like caged animals.

I think Seths problem is that his entire chapter is so uber angry that they are basically all on the edge of the black rage. That means that Astorath is only ever an inch away from coming in and snuffing them out - that's got to upset him. Also his chapter is small, so taking even a single brother is going to hurt.

As for sensing it, I think it's just an experience thing. The whole black rage thing was always accompanied by the chaplains patrolling the battle brothers before the conflict to look for signs of it (slurred words, glazed eyes, etc). I guess after a few centuries you would et pretty good at it.

Just my opinions like.

I think there were at least two separate ocasions where astorath executed some FT DC that survived the battle and Seth fought him both times. He said if astorath did it again he would bring his entire chapter to Baal in a threatening way. This is all from lexicanum or wiki, but I read it awhile ago...

I thought the same thing about astorath at first, but didn't he figure out the carmine blades were BA by like being on the same planet and sensing them somewhere. Like not close enough to see there faces or hear them talk, but I could be wrong.

I think there were at least two separate ocasions where astorath executed some FT DC that survived the battle and Seth fought him both times. He said if astorath did it again he would bring his entire chapter to Baal in a threatening way. This is all from lexicanum or wiki, but I read it awhile ago...

I thought the same thing about astorath at first, but didn't he figure out the carmine blades were BA by like being on the same planet and sensing them somewhere. Like not close enough to see there faces or hear them talk, but I could be wrong.

In fact, about Seth Threatening Baal, there be more in balance than just the Flesh Tearers chapter......

1 - In "Gabriel Seth : The Flesh Tearers", Seth indeed fight with Astorath and Threaten Astorath that should he kill another Flesh Tearers, Seth would come back to Baal and not alone.

2 - In "Reflection in Blood", The Knights of Blood have a meeting with the Blood Angels with the hidden purpose to find out if the Blood Angels are still loyal to the Primarch and the Bloodline. (This event is linked to the Blood Angels "civil war" and Fabius Bile incident....yet it also can be linked to Seth's Warning, since the KOB respond in the end that the Knights of Blood will turn anew their rage upon the forces of the archenemy, knowing that Baal remain in safe hand, this impliying that the KOB were possibly preparing themselves to visit Baal, should the Blood Angels had not proven their loyalty in this meeting.)

3 - Many elements of Fluff tend to show that the Knights of Blood and the Flesh Tearers may have deep bond of brotherhood between their chapters. First is a subtile information, stating that in M.40, a join force of KOB and FT routed out a massive eldars army from a Maiden world. Plus the KOB and FT share the same "fighting style" of Savage and Destructive assault.

So, in the end, it wouldn't be impossible to considering that following both the Blood Angels civil war/Fabius Bile incident, the Knight of Blood had requested a meeting with the Blood Angels in order to choose a side regarding a potential demand of Seth....

(I personally, think that this whole possibility is an unseen/unimagined side-effect of the multiples novels stories, yet it give them an interresting view.)

Archived