SW1's and Lord Sondar's 500 point builds.

SW1

So just what can you fit into 500 points?

This is the challenge I'm going to give myself in an attempt to carry on with the productivity I found during the ETL this year. I want to end up with lots of different 500 point collections of models. These won't have to follow any army selection limitations, each one will just be one step closer to painting the plasticrack mountain.

I'll be joined in this endeavour by the mighty Lord Sondar who also finds himself with more models unpainted than painted.

Lol ... It will also be an excuse to try out my airbrush a bit more than just for basecoating.

Initial thoughts are 500 points of:

- Ogryns

- Storm Troopers

- =][=

- Death Company

- Iron Hands in mk3

- Deathwatch

- Guard Tanks

Then the list gets a bit silly ...

- Guard rifle platoons (minimal upgrades)

- Conscripts (is this any different from rifle platoons?)

As an added twist. Once we've got a few 500 point collections painted the challenge will be to use these to test ourselves on the field of battle. We will jointly set up a 2' x 2' board and then each randomly select a 500 point collection off the shelf. So the risk is we may make a killer 500 point army that will slaughter all comers and then have to face it with nothing but flashlights. :p

Initially this thread will be for collecting ideas and then once we've dialled in on what we are going to paint it'll turn into our WIP.

Well it looks like the first 500 points chunk will be the first ones listed.

2 squads of 5 Ogryns comes in exactly to 500 points and I've had the bits half prepped for over a year.

I think Lord Sondar will be chipping in with some Death Company shortly.

I've also got a bunch of Inquisiton stuff half started which might make up and additional 500 points. As this isn't anything as formal as te ETL I think I'll not be adverse to working on more than one project at a time.

Whoops ... That would be 2 units of 6 Ogryns each for 500 points rather than units of 5.

Trying to work out if I've got enough of the old Storm Troopers to make 500 points of Scions.

I've started to chop up some Ogryn bodies to see if I can alter them a bit for the 500 points of Bulgryns. Also looking through my lead mountain I may have enough of the old metal Ogryns to do 12 Ogryns for another 500 points.

I need to resist the Deathwatch stuff or I may end up with some more models to make another 500 points. Actually I probably could easily do 500 points of DW just from my bits box including DW pads ... Will have to look into that.

This has ended up turning into a wish list type project of what armies do I fancy starting and then seeing I have at some point in the past scraped together the start of them already in one form or another.

Why has the hobby butterfly hit before I've really even started painting?!?!?! I'll give myself until the end of September to get whatever collections of models I can find and then start painting in October a bit more methodically.

Hahah. Bad SW1... Bad. Planning a 500 pt force whilst wishlisting/spit-balling another 3000 pts won't get you where you wanna be. One step at a time man! Paint up 5 or 6 ogryns and see where your heads at. Trust me, way too easy to just stick your head in the clouds and add to the plasticrack mountain. One. Step. At. A. Time. Cheers and good luck!

Taking some sage advice to heart (thanks abadizzle) I've started working on the Ogryn bodies. I picked up what I thought was a job lot of part built Ogryn bodies/legs only to find the cheeky bugger had done it with 3 and then cast them up as single pieces. This has been what's stopped me from doing these previously. :(

The original plan was to combine the different bodies and legs together to give some variation. So the saw got some action this afternoon separating the bodies and legs. As well as mixing up the bodies/legs, I also want to be able to add a bit of rotation to some of them for even more variation. In a way them not being plastic was a bit of a blessing as chopping up sold bodies means what ever angle I cut at I will always give me 2 solid sides to glue back together. It's also going to give me a flatter surface to add the rotation with, the plastic locked together only with specific legs/body combos with no possible rotation available. :d

Pics will be forthcoming tomorrow as will gluing them back together and filling in the joints with gs. :p

Didn't really manage to recombine that many of the models but with the wonders of bluetac I've started to test fit stuff together.

I've joined the tale of hobbiests to give me more motivation. So atleast 3 lots of the 500 points will be =][= related. It starts in October so plenty of time to prep.

I've dusted off 550 points worth of Priests with Evisorators, the 500 points of Bulgryns are now getting the fancy armour from the kit (The Emperor provided the required 8 sets from the blessed bits boxes) and I'm currently playing around with 500ish point worth of Inquisitors. Converting stuff is really getting my creative juices going!!! :p ;)

So I have test fitted the armour on all three body types they'll be looking like this:

gallery_25187_11316_272240.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_24879.jpg

I've dug out the Priests (old pic):

gallery_25187_11316_330684.jpg

The first three Inquisitors have come forward with the first being a stock model:

gallery_25187_11316_58900.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_124444.jpg

The other two have customised weapons:

gallery_25187_11316_534811.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_334024.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_471961.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_441626.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_31246.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_246126.jpg

I'm also considering how to build the 5 Grey Knights in TDA I have. I originally planned on converting the Inquisitors out of them before locating my old stash of metal models.

So next the next models I'm considering using are for Xenos with some spyrer rigs, I've got 2 Orrus and 2 Malcadon Spyrers I fancy using.

Then for Hereticus I've got an old metal WHFB Witch Hunter, a Priest of Sigmar (those hammer icons will nicely change to =][=) and a fancy looking member of the clergy from the SoB range.

Pics can be found in my =][= Album stuck with only my mobile which doesn't like adding the links.

I had a bit of spare gs left over from doing work on some DW stuff so I decided to try making some of the Ogryn heads a bit different. Started with 3 heads all the same. Ended up with the stock one with Mohawk, a skinhead and one with gs'd hair:

gallery_25187_11316_76192.jpg

Doing this then got me to try adding hair to my first DW conversion:

gallery_25187_12379_86148.jpg

gallery_25187_12379_30289.jpg

gallery_25187_12379_62483.jpg

gallery_25187_12379_27467.jpg

Finally got around to editing in the pics in the above post. Really happy with the head of the DW model, but not so sure about the Ogryn. Though they're not meant to be the most beautiful models in the world.

Well prep for the start of painting in October continues at a pace.

Currently scrounging all the bases I cast up with a double tread plate on them. These will be cleaned up and use for the models I do in the near future.

Currently cleaned all the 25mm ones (21 of them) and all the TDA sized ones (weirdly also numbering 21). Now it's time for the 32mm bases to be cleaned up. Currently got 12 of them cleaned up but have a big pot of more to work through. :D

Well I ended up with 50x 32mm bases, 21x TDA bases and 23x 25mm bases.

Going to get them slapped with an undercoat so they're ready to do in one go. If I have finished bases to fill it'll be a bit of self applied pressure to fill them with painted models!!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

The first lot of models to get paint thrown at them works out to be closer to 600 points rather than the intended 500 points.

I pulled out of hiding a metal WHFB Witch Hunter I'd previously used as an Inquisitor from the pile of stripped models and got to work on the 10 Priests as well. I'm trying to write back stories for all the models/units I'm painting up. Still trying to get the story fixed for the Priests but the Inquisitor is now more solid. This can be found in the tale of 20 hobbyists thread.

Here's the first couple of models I've worked on:

gallery_25187_11316_265572.jpg

There's a faint =][= icon on the Inquisitors book but other than that nothing overtly making him as an Inquisitor. Something the character plays on in his work.

gallery_25187_11316_42383.jpg

Then there's the first 4 Priests. They still need a little work on them but they're almost finished:

gallery_25187_11316_137015.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_349956.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_387775.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_9867.jpg

More pics can be found in my album: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/11316-sw1s-inquisition/

I'm going to get the other 6 Priest to the same point and then finish off the little bits like the base rims and paper bits.

Well the models have been finished from the first lot weighing in at 605 points:

Inquisitor - level 1 mastery with a force sword and bolt pistol

55 points

10 Priests - all with Evissorators and laspistols

550 points

gallery_25187_11316_368019.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_589547.jpg

I've got a background story for the Inquisitor started and it's giving me an opening to introduce another Inquisitor. The backstory for the Rev'rends is slowly taking shape in my head as well. Still need to get names for the individual Priests though as I only have 2 at the moment "The Right Honourable Rev'rend Rip" and "Rev'rend Tear".

Here's a little something a wrote for Inquisitor Maximoze ...

Watching the ghost-pics Maximoze noticed a flash of something glinting behind him. "Could you make that armour any more conspicuous brother?"

Just a faint sound emitted from the younger Inquisitors throat. Was it frustration or embarrassment?

Maximoze didn't care which, he'd spent too long hunting this heretic to have some young fool spoil everything flashing his rosette around making himself a big target in his overly polished armour.

Chuckling to himself as the thought of using the whelp as a diversion to the real task crossed his mind.

Someone was playing political games making him bring this one along. Though at least this time they had the decency of getting him to introduce himself beforehand. It beat having an amateur trying to trail him and getting in the way.

I really must look into who keeps sending these colleagues along to help at some point, he mused.

Now what's his name?

Hmmm ... Maybe I'll bother to learn it if he makes it through the next few days alive.

Realising he'd got lost in his own thoughts again, Maximoze pulled himself up out of the beaten old chair and walked over to his fellow Inquisitor.

Placing an understanding hand on his shoulder Maximoze tried his best fatherly look. From the look on the other Inquisitors face it wasn't working.

"While I encourage your zeal brother may I recommend a little forethought. While it can be good for your ego flashing that rosette about, it doesn't always have the intended effect."

"Take our current quarry. He's got eyes everywhere figuratively and some say quite literally as well." Pointing back to the feeds still playing in the background. "Now if I let you go and smash those Goons with that big hammer of yours shouting "Heretic!!!", what do you think will happen to their leader? How long have I been after him?"

Still no sound emits from the other Inquisitors throat. But his face says it all as he realises maybe the teachings he held in such reverence were flawed.

"Don't worry about it, I knew your mentor well. Hearts in the right place ... but ... well ... let's just say she had less charm than a Catachan Devil." Maximoze attempted to smile, it just looked like a less severe frown thanks to the skin grafts still healing. "I'm sure your fancy weapon and those servitors will come in handy when the real fighting happens. But for now let me demonstrate how a little finesse and subterfuge can get me into the heart of the vipers nest."

Realising he risked demoralising the lad he tapped the head of the hammer with his foot. "I'll need you to be ready to smash things a little later though so don't get any ideas about ditching that hardware. My life and that of this whole planet may rely on the Inquisition making an overtly grand appearance tomorrow."

"Ahh ... Now I get it!" The other Inquisitor replies feeling a bit better about himself. "It's so much easier to apply the scalpel when everyone is looking the other way."

"Yes my lad." Maximoze sighs, maybe he'll last a bit longer than I first thought.

Lol ... Well if you take 8 Priests and the Inquisitor you'd come to 490 points.

Next up is either going to be a bunch of Xenos Inquisitors or Death Watch. Not quite decided yet, though there's more DW to choose from.

Just spent the best part of 5 hours combing through every GWS book and the internet for different chapters to possibly include in the DW. I have the pads to do well over 60 different chapters with minimal or no alteration to the pads.

I can probably do over 100 if I also just come up with a few extra chapters for the duplicate pads I have and order a 10 or so more which need to fill the gaps.

Not sure if I might just have some fun with painting random pads for the rest of the month and then choose the pads I like the best to make squads with. :p

Archived