What allied chapter would look nice alongside DW?

Emperor's Furor

So I'm planning on taking a Stormwing Formation a longside my Death Watch and I've been trying to figure out what chapter would suit fighting a long side them. There's two aspects I've been thinking of for them, whether they look good next to them, does the colour scheme blend with or DW or perhaps suitablycontast with them. Secondly and a more minor point is the lore. What do you think? I play against mostly Eldar and I was thinking of the Invaders but I don't particularly like their scheme and don't think it'll work well with them.

I think contrast would be best, so possibly White Scars? Not only are they white vs. black, but you can give Scars a more tribal/feral aspect that would nicely contrast with the more militaristic Deathwatch - plus they both have red detailing, so you can still give them some unifying traits from that.

If you don't  like the Invaders colour scheme, I'm sure you can find heaps of other chapters that would be better: Space Marines don't need an excuse for fighting against Xenos, so I wouldn't worry about established fluff if I were you :)

Why not the Mentor Legion?

Their original fluff in WD 98 described them as being 'Deathwatchesque'.

- Access to special tech & weaponry

- Operate in small Hunter Cadres (kill teams)

- Loaned out to other SM chapters to share & enhance each others methods of fighting.

In fact, the Mentors could be an alternate chapter to use with DW rules. 

Their original fluff has been reprinted recently in IA: Apocrypha.

Since he wants a Stormwing formation, he could always run with Hawk Lords? Purple would still contrast strongly with Deathwatch - however, you wouldn't necessarily have the unifying red... unless you go for third or fifth company (red and black respectively iirc)

C:SM are a safe bet.  They shore up most of C:DW's weaknesses and you have a ton of options.  Raven Guard and White Scars would make reasonably good sense in the background (given their way of war and disposition toward the Codex Astartes), though any chapter could work, especially if you've modeled them to represent fighting a certain Xenos foe (Ultramarines versus Tyranids, for example).

I'd say Blood Ravens. Their red with white and gold accents nicely contrasts with DW colours, they have multiple members with past DW ties, they're noted as having highly adaptable tactics depending on mission allowing you to use any chapter rules from C:SM, and are one of few chapters to have enough librarians to field fluffy conclave. Also, DoW III states they have multiple relic armour sets so nothing stops you from fielding nice Mk IV and Cataphractii from Calth. Other nice contrasting colour schemes would be Raptors, Ultramarines or (if you wanted to go complimentary colours instead) Iron Lords, but as choices they lack the versatility above.

Why not the Mentor Legion?

Their original fluff in WD 98 described them as being 'Deathwatchesque'.

- Access to special tech & weaponry

- Operate in small Hunter Cadres (kill teams)

- Loaned out to other SM chapters to share & enhance each others methods of fighting.

In fact, the Mentors could be an alternate chapter to use with DW rules. 

Their original fluff has been reprinted recently in IA: Apocrypha.

Yes I am considering them, I like that the emblem is available from FW to, via the raptors. I am unsure on the white though, I have improved on layering paints to develop the colours but white and yellow is still daunting for me.

But White Armor . Would you really want to paint white Armor ? biggrin.png

I admit that is the one reason that keeps me from doing Mentors as much as I would love to.

Yes I am considering them, I like that the emblem is available from FW to, via the raptors. I am unsure on the white though, I have improved on layering paints to develop the colours but white and yellow is still daunting for me.

I concur.

Irbis' idea of Blood Ravens sounds like a better one.

What you're looking for is a strong colour scheme to contrast the black of the DW. It doesn't matter if this is a DIY Chapter or a canon Chapter.

Definitely this. Allying with Black Templars/Iron Hands/etc. probably won't yield much of an impact (and likely will confuse your opponent). tongue.png

Yellow would work. Don't dirty it up too much, eh? msn-wink.gif

Heh yeah, I just googled some of them and the Marine Malevolent have been pretty well done. Just had a thought what about Mantis Legion/Warriors? The shade of green is more to my liking, although not totally sure which green it is on GW's colours and it has some yellow in it to.

Edit:

I really love the way this is done. I think it maybe Elysian Green with Ogryn Camo highlights.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/2/26/MantisMini2.jpg

Personaly I'd paint them as deathwatch.

Sooo, Deathwatch allied to marines painted as Deathwatch? tongue.png

Paint them as assets attached to the Deathwatch. Why should it just be marines detached? Some Chapters have other specialties such as the Hawklord's fame for aircraft. Makes sense that their kit, aswell as their specialty would be in demand.

Paint the birds in Deathwatch colours. Use codex space marines for the formation as a counts-as.

That is how I would do it, just an idea.

Personaly I'd paint them as deathwatch.

Sooo, Deathwatch allied to marines painted as Deathwatch? tongue.png

Paint them as assets attached to the Deathwatch. Why should it just be marines detached? Some Chapters have other specialties such as the Hawklord's fame for aircraft. Makes sense that their kit, aswell as their specialty would be in demand.

Paint the birds in Deathwatch colours. Use codex space marines for the formation as a counts-as.

That is how I would do it, just an idea.

As, ok :) (no more likes)

A nice contrast would be Sons of Medusa imo, the nice vibrant green with white and a bit of black will tie in nicely to the Deathwatch. And what can I say the Sons of Medusa are :cussing awesome.

Archived