Word bearers 4k new project

Trydragon

OK am starting a new project am after doing a large troop based WB army that also takes advantage of there Demon ally rules below is what am looking at doing I love a bit of C & C to help me before I start buying stuff.

+++ Dark Summoning (3997pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (3082pts) ++

+ HQ (415pts) +

Legion Centurion (140pts) [Artificer Armour, Burning Lore, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field]

····Consul [Chaplain]

····Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

Zardu Layak (275pts) [Anakatis Kul Blade-slaves, Diabolist, Warlord]

····Master of the Legion [The Dark Brethren]

+ Troops (640pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (320pts) [Dark Channelling, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs, Power Armour]

Legion Tactical Squad (320pts) [Dark Channelling, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs, Power Armour]

+ Elites (792pts) +

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (405pts) [9x Dark Brethren, 2x Meltagun]

····Dark Martyr [Artificer Armour, Single Lightning Claw]

Legion Terminator Squad (387pts) [Dark Channelling, 2x Heavy Flamer, 9x Legion Terminators, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]

····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Combi-Weapon, Grenade Harness]

+ Fast Attack (215pts) +

Xiphon Interceptor (215pts) [Armoured Cockpit, Chaff Launcher, Interceptors]

+ Heavy Support (665pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (215pts) [Flak Missiles, 4x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

····Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner, Power Armour]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (235pts) [Lascannons, 4x Legion Space Marines]

····Legion Sergeant [Power Armour]

Legion Heavy Support Squad (215pts) [4x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Cannons]

····Legion Sergeant [Augury Scanner, Power Armour]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XVII: Word Bearers]

+ Lord of War (355pts) +

Cor’bax Utterblight, Daemon Prince of the Ruinstorm (355pts)

····Daemon of Nurgle [Daemon]

++ Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) (Allied Detachment) (915pts) ++

+ HQ (270pts) +

Great Unclean One (270pts) [D6 Daemonic Reward, D6 Daemonic Reward, Psyker Level 3]

+ Troops (320pts) +

Plaguebearers of Nurgle (160pts) [icon of Chaos, Instrument of Chaos, 15x Plaguebearers, Plagueridden]

Plaguebearers of Nurgle (160pts) [icon of Chaos, Instrument of Chaos, 15x Plaguebearers, Plagueridden]

+ Heavy Support (325pts) +

Daemon Prince (Heavy) (325pts) [D6 Daemonic Reward, D6 Daemonic Reward, Daemonic Flight, Mastery 3, Warp-forged Armour]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

There 109 inf units, 3 MC and a flyer

Also there 11 power dice for psychic shannigans any help would be of great help

:)

Thanks for the feed back, I felt that might be the case am thinking I might boost up the Missile Heavy to 10 man and drop the Plasma Gunners that would leave me the points to but an Imp Bunker with Icarus Lascannon for the Lascannon Squad to bunker in for the game what you think.

When using the Dark Brethren Rite of War, you can only take one Heavy Support choice :-/

So two of those Heavy Support Squads will have to go.

Could fit a Tactical Support Squad or two in instead though. Or make the one you can use 10 men. Or maybe some more Fast Attack or Daemons.

Personally, with only one choice, I would take a Sicaran over a Heavy Support Squad, but if you already have them go ahead!

Thanks for the feed back I missed the one HS sad.png but I can make it work I reworked the list C&C always welcome smile.png

+++ Dark Summoning (4000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (3095pts) ++

+ HQ (415pts) +

Legion Centurion (140pts) [Artificer Armour, Burning Lore, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field]
····May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [Chaplain]

+ Troops (870pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (330pts) [Dark Channelling, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (330pts) [Dark Channelling, 19x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (210pts) [9x Legion Space Marines, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade, Volkite Chargers]
····Legion Sergeant [Lightning Claw, Power Armour]

+ Elites (955pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (120pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Augury Scanner, Power Sword]
········Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]
····Legion Apothecary [Augury Scanner, Power Sword]

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (405pts) [9x Dark Brethren, 2x Meltagun]
····Dark Martyr [Artificer Armour, Single Lightning Claw]

Legion Terminator Squad (430pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Dark Channelling, 9x Legion Terminators, 9x Lightning Claw, 2x Reaper Autocannon]
····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Lightning Claw]

+ Fast Attack (215pts) +

+ Heavy Support (285pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (285pts) [9x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (355pts) +

++ Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) (Allied Detachment) (905pts) ++

+ HQ (270pts) +

Great Unclean One (270pts) [D6 Daemonic Reward, D6 Daemonic Reward, Psyker Level 3]

+ Troops (320pts) +

+ Heavy Support (315pts) +

Daemon Prince (Heavy) (315pts) [D6 Daemonic Reward, Daemonic Flight, Mastery 3, Warp-forged Armour]

No worries! smile.png

Having a look through that list, there is a few things I would change, although whether that would make it 'better' or is merely to my taste I cannot say, so I'll make some suggestions and provide you with logic for it, but really it's up to you.

1: Legion Tactical Squads

- Sergeant doesn't need a Lightning Claw!

Why?

- They shouldn't really be in combat anyway as you have better suited units for that.

- They are expensive (take a Power Weapon instead at least - or not at all - save 5 points per squad and a power sword is no worse than a Lightning Claw [see next point]

- If they do get in combat, most other Sergeants will challenge you, they will be wearing Artificer Armour and your AP3 Lightning Claw won't take away their save. yes a reroll to wound (Shred) is cool, but in a challenge it is no better than a Power Sword, which is cheaper.

I would therefore give you 2 options:

One: Don't take a Lightning Claw at all, save 15 points per unit.

Two: Take a Power Weapon instead, save 5 points per unit (Power Sword is equivalent to Lightning Claw, but you get extra attack for 2ccw's unlike the Claw. Power Axe is AP2 so will kill Sergeants and basic Marines)

2: Tactical Support Squad

- Lightning Claw Again...

Why?

- These should be even less likely to be in Combat!

- The Lightning Claw replaces the Special Weapon (would rather have 10 Chargers, then 9 and a Claw you will not really use)

- Just the standard Close Combat Weapon is enough for an extra attack just in case.

3: Apothecaries

- Should have Artificer Armour!

Why?

- They are Characters so can be challenged, 2+ Save makes it harder to kill so you don't lose their benefits.

- Precision Shots can take them out even in a huge unit, 2+ save gives you a better chance against most things.

- Feel No Pain on 20 man squads is scary! They will be targeted and more protection is always better.

- Following points 1+2 above will give you the points to buy these.

4: Gal Vorbak

- Meltaguns and Lightning Claw

Why?

- Dark Martyr would be better with a Power Fist as it is the same price as the Claw, AP2, x2 Strength and can wreck Vehicles (still gets Rending +d3 pen on a 6). Also means you don't need a Melta Bomb as the fist is just as good (S10 AP2 Rending 3 Attacks min v S8 AP1 Armourbane only 1 Attack - volume of attacks + higher S is almost equivalent to Armourbane bonus on 1 attack)

- I wouldn't take Meltaguns in Gal Vorbak, shooting is a waste for them as they are better off running instead (Plus Armoured Ceramite means Melta gains no real bonus). I would cut the Meltaguns and replace with 2 Power Mauls, meaning that when you get to combat, 2 of your Gal Vorbak are hitting at S7, plus Rending Confers to the Mauls meaning they become AP2 on 6's!

- Mauls are 5 points cheaper each too.

5: Cataphractii

- Would try to add some Chainfists to the Squad if possible

Why?

- Means they can harm Vehicles!

- If they get charged by a Dread they can actually hurt it.

- Can also prevent other Terminators getting saves.

- I would be looking at a ratio of 2 Chainfists per 5 Terminators, so 4 all together, which is only an extra 20 Points (the cost of the Claw has already paid for half the Chainfist), and these points can be saved as above.

*If at all possible, I would swap the Autocannons for Plasma Blasters and give all other Terminators Combi-Plasmas to take advantage of the Dark Brethren's Preferred Enemy Loyalists rule which all Independent Characters get. If one leads this unit, you will rarely have to worry about Get's Hot as most armies tend to be Loyalist (although it depends on your opponents) and will have an awful lot of ranged AP2 which is awesome!

6: Daemons

Nothing I would change here as Nurgle Daemons are actually really good! A few thoughts however...

- Bloodletters are MUCH better in 30k as it is all Marine based armies so their AP3 Swords will do very well in combat!

- Flesh Hounds are great too!

- Nurgle Soul Grinder with Phlegm will get you some large blast AP3 which can threaten whole squads!

- Heralds are good, and you can get 4 in an allied HQ slot (Nurgle Heralds can give FNP while still being Psykers, Tzeentch can do Divination which is amazing)

However, other than the Soul Grinder, you do not need to change your list to get most of these things.

Why?

Daemon Psykers and Zardu Layak (who is also a Daemon) can take Malefic Daemonology (with barely any risk compared to other Psykers due to being Daemons) and summon more to help you.

Therefore, your Nurgle Allied Detachment can be there to take the damage and be hard to kill, while you summon Bloodletters to frighten Marines, Flesh Hounds to engage them quickly, and Heralds of Tzeentch/Pink Horrors for more Warp Charge/greater Psychic presence.

No worries! smile.png

Having a look through that list, there is a few things I would change, although whether that would make it 'better' or is merely to my taste I cannot say, so I'll make some suggestions and provide you with logic for it, but really it's up to you.

1: Legion Tactical Squads

- Sergeant doesn't need a Lightning Claw!

Why?

- They shouldn't really be in combat anyway as you have better suited units for that.

- They are expensive (take a Power Weapon instead at least - or not at all - save 5 points per squad and a power sword is no worse than a Lightning Claw [see next point]

- If they do get in combat, most other Sergeants will challenge you, they will be wearing Artificer Armour and your AP3 Lightning Claw won't take away their save. yes a reroll to wound (Shred) is cool, but in a challenge it is no better than a Power Sword, which is cheaper.

I would therefore give you 2 options:

One: Don't take a Lightning Claw at all, save 15 points per unit.

Two: Take a Power Weapon instead, save 5 points per unit (Power Sword is equivalent to Lightning Claw, but you get extra attack for 2ccw's unlike the Claw. Power Axe is AP2 so will kill Sergeants and basic Marines)

2: Tactical Support Squad

- Lightning Claw Again...

Why?

- These should be even less likely to be in Combat!

- The Lightning Claw replaces the Special Weapon (would rather have 10 Chargers, then 9 and a Claw you will not really use)

- Just the standard Close Combat Weapon is enough for an extra attack just in case.

3: Apothecaries

- Should have Artificer Armour!

Why?

- They are Characters so can be challenged, 2+ Save makes it harder to kill so you don't lose their benefits.

- Precision Shots can take them out even in a huge unit, 2+ save gives you a better chance against most things.

- Feel No Pain on 20 man squads is scary! They will be targeted and more protection is always better.

- Following points 1+2 above will give you the points to buy these.

4: Gal Vorbak

- Meltaguns and Lightning Claw

Why?

- Dark Martyr would be better with a Power Fist as it is the same price as the Claw, AP2, x2 Strength and can wreck Vehicles (still gets Rending +d3 pen on a 6). Also means you don't need a Melta Bomb as the fist is just as good (S10 AP2 Rending 3 Attacks min v S8 AP1 Armourbane only 1 Attack - volume of attacks + higher S is almost equivalent to Armourbane bonus on 1 attack)

- I wouldn't take Meltaguns in Gal Vorbak, shooting is a waste for them as they are better off running instead (Plus Armoured Ceramite means Melta gains no real bonus). I would cut the Meltaguns and replace with 2 Power Mauls, meaning that when you get to combat, 2 of your Gal Vorbak are hitting at S7, plus Rending Confers to the Mauls meaning they become AP2 on 6's!

- Mauls are 5 points cheaper each too.

5: Cataphractii

- Would try to add some Chainfists to the Squad if possible

Why?

- Means they can harm Vehicles!

- If they get charged by a Dread they can actually hurt it.

- Can also prevent other Terminators getting saves.

- I would be looking at a ratio of 2 Chainfists per 5 Terminators, so 4 all together, which is only an extra 20 Points (the cost of the Claw has already paid for half the Chainfist), and these points can be saved as above.

*If at all possible, I would swap the Autocannons for Plasma Blasters and give all other Terminators Combi-Plasmas to take advantage of the Dark Brethren's Preferred Enemy Loyalists rule which all Independent Characters get. If one leads this unit, you will rarely have to worry about Get's Hot as most armies tend to be Loyalist (although it depends on your opponents) and will have an awful lot of ranged AP2 which is awesome!

6: Daemons

Nothing I would change here as Nurgle Daemons are actually really good! A few thoughts however...

- Bloodletters are MUCH better in 30k as it is all Marine based armies so their AP3 Swords will do very well in combat!

- Flesh Hounds are great too!

- Nurgle Soul Grinder with Phlegm will get you some large blast AP3 which can threaten whole squads!

- Heralds are good, and you can get 4 in an allied HQ slot (Nurgle Heralds can give FNP while still being Psykers, Tzeentch can do Divination which is amazing)

However, other than the Soul Grinder, you do not need to change your list to get most of these things.

Why?

Daemon Psykers and Zardu Layak (who is also a Daemon) can take Malefic Daemonology (with barely any risk compared to other Psykers due to being Daemons) and summon more to help you.

Therefore, your Nurgle Allied Detachment can be there to take the damage and be hard to kill, while you summon Bloodletters to frighten Marines, Flesh Hounds to engage them quickly, and Heralds of Tzeentch/Pink Horrors for more Warp Charge/greater Psychic presence

Thanks for the Feed back, thats a lot to think about but I have changed, I liked the set up for the Vorbaks so i changed them to match also the Terminators I pimped out with 3 ChainFists and Comb-Plasma and Plasma Blasters your right it be stupid not to take Plasma with an Army that has Perfferd Enemy.

As fr my Demons you basicly got my Idea of how am going to use them lol.

That's alright! Glad to be of help :D

Other than the odd little point I listed above though (which were mainly just a few loadout edits), it looks like a pretty good list. With a strong Psychic Phase. Very thematic for Word Bearers too, which I really like as I have always been more into building lists around the background than to win every game. Plus it is always great to see more HH Word Bearers players as they are my favourite army and I'm building both a 40k and 30k force (I like seeing some of my 30k Characters in my 40k army to see how they progressed following the Heresy).

Only other points you might hear are:

- 'You haven't got any transports to get your big Close Combat Squads into Combat'

But if you're like me, you won't care about that. I have never been a fan of Transports and would rather walk/run across the board then spend points on Rhinos and Land Raiders etc when I would rather have more of the stuff I like.

- There seems to be an opinion that the Dark Brethren RoW isn't very good, so you may get asked why are you using that.

Again, I would disagree. I love it! And my 30k army is being built around it. To give you an example, in my 2000 points army, I am running a Praetor, Diabolist and Chaplain all with Burning Lore (and ally in Psychic Daemons at 3000) to, like you, have a strong Psychic Phase (I have really got into Psychic Powers lately - they seem really fun) and a 5-man Terminator Squad with Combi-Plasmas/Plasma Blaster and a 10-man Vet Squad with 2 Plasma Guns and 8 Combi-Plasmas. They Chaplain goes in the Veteran Squad while the Praetor joins the Terminators and gives me 2 huge squads of Plasma with preferred enemy.

While I am on the subject of my Word Bearers, I remembered a little trick I have started using on my Chaplain.

When generating powers for your Chaplain's Burning Lore, always go Biomancy! It is awesome!

- You get the Primaris for free (Psychic Focus - ML1 can only get one power so you always get Psychic Focus as you can't mix disciplines) which is pretty good with 4 S4 AP2 shots!

- Then also get one of the 6 powers you roll for.

Iron Arm is particularly good - Making your Chaplain's Power Mail S9 AP2 in Combat.

And it is Iron Arm that my trick is based around.

- This obviously only works every now and then as it requires you to roll Iron Arm, but I think it is worth it.

If you have the points spare, give the Chaplain a Tainted Weapon.

- Although the Tainted Weapon is a Specialist Weapon, you don't lose the extra attack for 2 CCW's unless you use it - Centurion comes with Bolt Pistol and CCW -> Upgrading his to Chaplain gives him a Crozius on top of his existing Wargear (BP, CCW and Power Weapon), you can then swap the CCW for a Tainted weapon (purchased as a Power Weapon) meaning that you can either attack with your Crozius and BP for +1 attack or use the Tainted Weapon but not get the extra attack. This is an important point as on it's own, a Tainted Weapon is not great, and definitely not worth losing an extra attack for (so getting round that adds to the value of it)

- But then, if you get Iron Arm, that Tainted Weapon becomes S7 AP2 Instant Death... Which is great!!!!

Therefore, you get the Tainted Weapon, and if you don't get Iron Arm you stick to the Crozius (I use a Maul for the extra Strength) and Bolt Pistol combo.

But in games where you do get Iron Arm, your Maul is S9 AP2 against ordinary targets, and you use the Tainted Weapon against Multi-Wound targets for S7 AP2 Instant Death...

Obviously you won't use it often, but for the cost of an extra Power Weapon, I would make sure the points are spare - it's one of those things you'll forget about when you don't get Iron Arm, but in games you do, you'll wish you had it in a Challenge.

-

Thanks Apostle that all good advice and yes I tend to build my army's with ether fluff in mind or a theme or both i generally have a idea of what i want to run in this case i wanted 2x 20 man Tactical squads with Dark Channelling I also wanted a Full 10 man Gal Vorbak unit. and I know Arty lists would have a field day Vs me but vs my local Meta we do seem to build more fluff orientated army's rather then refined lists... thought the Imp Fist player dose have a Typhon lol 

Dark Brethren isn't very good because it doesn't come into its own until large sizes where you can afford a bunch of summoners and running it means lots of daemons which some folks treat as unsporting. Daemon summoning is a potent route in 40K, so in 30K it has a high potential to steamroll.

So basically the one thing you have to do to make it work is the one thing that gets you labeled a jerk lol.

Hi Terminus don't worry am not going to summon in millions of Demons unless am playing the Eldar player them all the demons lol

Anyway this is the list I be building.

+++ Dark Summoning (3996pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (3181pts) ++

+ HQ (415pts) +

····May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [Chaplain]

+ Troops (885pts) +

Legion Tactical Support Squad (225pts) [9x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Calivers]

+ Elites (1026pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (130pts)

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Power Sword]

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Power Sword]

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (395pts) [9x Dark Brethren, 2x Power Weapon]

····Dark Martyr [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Terminator Squad (501pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 7x Combi-Weapon, Dark Channelling, 9x Legion Terminators, 7x Lightning Claw, 2x Plasma Blaster]

····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Chainfist, Combi-Weapon]

+ Fast Attack (215pts) +

+ Heavy Support (285pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (285pts) [9x Legion Space Marines, Missile Launchers]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (355pts) +

++ Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) (Allied Detachment) (815pts) ++

+ HQ (270pts) +

+ Troops (230pts) +

Plaguebearers of Nurgle (115pts) [icon of Chaos, Instrument of Chaos, 10x Plaguebearers, Plagueridden]

Plaguebearers of Nurgle (115pts) [icon of Chaos, Instrument of Chaos, 10x Plaguebearers, Plagueridden]

+ Heavy Support (315pts) +

Daemon Prince (Heavy) (315pts) [D6 Daemonic Reward, Daemonic Flight, Mastery 3, Warp-forged Armour]

Archived