Stalker pattern bolter versus Mathhammer

Vel'Cona

But in the end, you can't really use math in an easy way to include tactics.

Bz6NE8RCUAAP8qF.jpg

So many people disregard math hammer. I always think that's the same thing as saying the point cost for units don't matter.

I think the idea is how do you math hammer heavy versus assault weapons? How do you mThahmmer in an extra 6 inch range. How do you math hammer precision shots taking out the heavy weapons trooper? How do you math hammer in having the optIon to charge when comparing shotguns and bolters.

I think math hammer is great in a vacuum, however once you get down to it on the table top it becomes next to useless because it is averages. Now if we were dealing with probability that is a whole different animal.

Math hammer works as it shows what you can threaten to do. Lets say i have heavy VS assault. Esscentially if you ahve +6 range your threat range for the next turn is the same, as if you ahve bolt guns you'd have to move 6" (minus rolling for terrain), but the stalkers just get 6" more range. This is of course not pointing out line of sight or the odds that your un moving stalkers get to stay in a safer piece of terrain or take advantage of the dominus ageis.

But either way your calculating your potential threat.  Sure you can out maneuver someones ability to shoot you no matter what gun it is, however, you can't change your potential need to take a bit of the terrain, and as such your going to have to face my guns eventually or you'll just simply lose the game. As such, that moment when they get in your crosshairs you have to consider what gun might have the better impact. 

Additionaly, stuff cost points.  IHB cost 25 points, but doesn't really put out more damage than a HB bolter for half the price, and few people take even that as i dont think i've ever faced one come to think about it.  But 25 points of stalker pattern bolt guns with special ammo might just be worth it's price tag some armies pay 20 points for a single AP1 shot, and your getting that plus some range.

On a different note. Deathwatch shot guns. Man those things are pretty disappointing. Really hope they let you combo it with the bolt gun, otherwise it's quite possible not worth taking??

for a free tradeout on the bolter im actually a huge fan of the shotgun -currently running a couple with stormshields to protect fragcannons in pods

Shotguns are good if you are up close and planning assaults or being assaulted. Hits from multiple templates add up quickly so you are going for volume of hits rather than quality of hits.

On a different note. Deathwatch shot guns. Man those things are pretty disappointing. Really hope they let you combo it with the bolt gun, otherwise it's quite possible not worth taking??

For the curious, I did some mathhammer on these here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/324797-deathwatch-tactica-how-to-make-their-rules-work/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4476481

Archived