Identify this Captain?

Chaplain Gunzhard

So that model is the limited edition blood angels captain on games day 2012? I think.

While he did have a two page story in the games day programme flyer thing, he's not been in any proper novels.

If he had a mini story I'm guessing he had a name? Anyone keep their 2012 GD programme..?!

I'm convinced when the painting was done he was intended to be the 3rd Company Lieutenant: 

The marines around him are 3rd Company but you can see Tycho's banner in the distance on the right, in addition his personal heraldry mimics the Codex Astartes* portion of Tycho's heraldry (diagonal stripe), suggesting he's subserviant to him. Also his chapter pad is yellow also, which is not standard for Captains but was the RT marking for a Blood Angel Lieutenant (the Land Speeder in the 2e rulebook and the cover art for the 2e wargear book was the RT studio army's Lieutenant model). In addition in the RT era army list the Lieutenant was actually mandatory whilst the Captain was optional - so it would make sense to have the Lieutenant centre-stage if they were still working off the old army list when they started the picture. 

* Most of the known Blood Angel company heraldries take the Codex company heraldries and use yellow in place of the chapter colour and red in place of the company colour. Up yours Guilliman! #pettydefiance

I'm convinced when the painting was done he was intended to be the 3rd Company Lieutenant: 
The marines around him are 3rd Company but you can see Tycho's banner in the distance on the right, in addition his personal heraldry mimics the Codex Astartes* portion of Tycho's heraldry (diagonal stripe), suggesting he's subserviant to him. Also his chapter pad is yellow also, which is not standard for Captains but was the RT marking for a Blood Angel Lieutenant (the Land Speeder in the 2e rulebook and the cover art for the 2e wargear book was the RT studio army's Lieutenant model). In addition in the RT era army list the Lieutenant was actually mandatory whilst the Captain was optional - so it would make sense to have the Lieutenant centre-stage if they were still working off the old army list when they started the picture. 

* Most of the known Blood Angel company heraldries take the Codex company heraldries and use yellow in place of the chapter colour and red in place of the company colour. Up yours Guilliman! #pettydefiance

Now isn't Tycho's banner pretty much just the 3rd company banner, the "diagonal stripe"? ...Tycho takes over as Captain of the 3rd during the Second War for Armageddon, perhaps he was the Captain prior to Tycho? ...though I do remember all of the Lieutenants and Lieutenant Commanders etc from the old books, I still have several of the old metal models.

Also Brother-Captain Machiavi succeeded him in command of the 3rd Company after the Third War for Armageddon.

The version of 40K that this was on the cover box for was set in the armageddon campaign, and if I remember correctly you got a couple of squads of marines and a bunch of orks to fight with. As the 3rd and Tycho in particular were all key protagonists in that conflict this would tie in well. The lieutenant theory works there too espeaculially as the company markings match (as pointed out above). So basically yeah - I'd back the idea that he is Tycho's right hand guy. The next question becomes does this mean that he is Machiavi prior promotion?

On a different note "Up yours Guilliman" may have to become my signature footer.

The version of 40K that this was on the cover box for was set in the armageddon campaign, and if I remember correctly you got a couple of squads of marines and a bunch of orks to fight with. As the 3rd and Tycho in particular were all key protagonists in that conflict this would tie in well. The lieutenant theory works there too espeaculially as the company markings match (as pointed out above). So basically yeah - I'd back the idea that he is Tycho's right hand guy. The next question becomes does this mean that he is Machiavi prior promotion?

On a different note "Up yours Guilliman" may have to become my signature footer.

Sounds good enough for me, I'm gonna go with this - he is Machiavi of the 3rd Company. :)

I haven't found my programme (it's in a box I'm the attic somewhere)

But I did find the short story on the black library sire, written by James Swallow.

Link:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/honours-ebook.html?basket_action=1&basket_product=6457&basket_category=62&basket_quantity=1&basket_add=1&basket_item=6457

Eh well Swallow never fails to disappoint, throughout that entire story he never gives a name. He does explain that Chapter Master Kadeus, towards the end of his career gifted this captain the famous sword "challenger", and that Imperial Fists gifted him the yellow bolter, and talks about how he lost his eye and even explains the blue gem tear drop on his chest armour. But then he talks about how he is in charge of the 1st Company, and dies in a massive Ork battle as leader of the 1st.

• 2 years later...

Archived