Starting mechanicum - scyllax or tech-thralls as troops?

lokkorex

Heyo people!

I'm slowly building up an allied force of mechanicum for my iron warriors, but don't know what to get as my compulsory troops.

So far i've got four castellax(gw kastelans i'm converting), 5 myrmidon destructors with graviton imploders, and i've got six thallax on their way from ebay.

I was thinking something like this as a starter list:

-Magos Dominus. (Gonna convert one from gw tech-priest dominus)

-6 thallax with either ferrus and heavy chainswords, or phased-plasma fusils.

-4 castellax with mauler bolt cannons.

-5 myrmidon destructors with graviton imploders.

To be able to play this on my own i'd still need another compulsory troop choice, and was thinking either a bunch of scyllax, or a unit of tech-thralls with a lacrymaerta tech-priest auxilia to buff them. I know i could just split the thallax into two 2 3-man units, but i'd rather not.

I don't have the newer mechanicum books, sadly, only extermination.

I'm a modeller first and foremost, so only looking for casual games and the like so it doesn't need to be highly competitive, just fun to play.

This subforum was for Mechanicum long before Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus appeared. He's in the right place.

I'm impartial to objective-camping Thrall blobs myself. Revenant Alchemistry is great, particularly with the attached Lacyrmaerta for maximum FNP, and Rite of Pure Thought can also be useful for keeping them in place. In any case, definitely go for the maximum 20 models.

The Scyllax look interesting, but they're something of a gimick. I'd just go with more Thallax instead of them.

I'm impartial to objective-camping Thrall blobs myself. Revenant Alchemistry is great, particularly with the attached Lacyrmaerta for maximum FNP, and Rite of Pure Thought can also be useful for keeping them in place. In any case, definitely go for the maximum 20 models.

The Scyllax look interesting, but they're something of a gimick. I'd just go with more Thallax instead of them.

Thanks for the advice, you're listing exactly the reasons i want tech-thralls, a fearless huge blob of bodies with good endurance that can reliably hold an objective!

Scyllax seem cool, and i will eventually get them as well, but their high cost and low speed would make it harder to get them into combat, plus they're only fearless if a magos is nearby. Their increased firepower compared to the tech-thralls plus their high endurance might make them worth the while though.

If you want an objective camper then Thralls are the way to go.

I'd go Las-lock so that you have a small chance to whittle away a little bit at anything that comes to take the objective from you.

On a tangent, as you are already converting quite a bit of 40K Mech to 30K Mech then consider converting either Electro Priests or Skitarii. The priest would need some sort of las-weapon, such as the Scions Lasguns (with the cable going into the generator on their back).

On a tangent, as you are already converting quite a bit of 40K Mech to 30K Mech then consider converting either Electro Priests or Skitarii. The priest would need some sort of las-weapon, such as the Scions Lasguns (with the cable going into the generator on their back).

Rangers in particular would work rather well as Thralls, provided you're explicit about what models count as what to opponents.

If you want an objective camper then Thralls are the way to go.I'd go Las-lock so that you have a small chance to whittle away a little bit at anything that comes to take the objective from you.On a tangent, as you are already converting quite a bit of 40K Mech to 30K Mech then consider converting either Electro Priests or Skitarii. The priest would need some sort of las-weapon, such as the Scions Lasguns (with the cable going into the generator on their back).

I've spent quite some time looking through different webstores to find the bits i'd like for the adsecularis, and i've mostly settled for hazardous environment heads from maxmini, gothic void torsos from anvil, arms from kromlech and kataphron destroyer phosphor blasters with lasgun muzzles.

The only thing i'm not certain about is the legs, i'm considering using tempestus scion legs with some converted to be bionic.

But if someone has a link or could point me in the direction of some robotic legs, i'd be all ears, as long as it's in europe.

I've spent quite some time looking through different webstores to find the bits i'd like for the adsecularis, and i've mostly settled for hazardous environment heads from maxmini, gothic void torsos from anvil, arms from kromlech and kataphron destroyer phosphor blasters with lasgun muzzles.

The only thing i'm not certain about is the legs, i'm considering using tempestus scion legs with some converted to be bionic.

But if someone has a link or could point me in the direction of some robotic legs, i'd be all ears, as long as it's in europe.

This might be tech-heresy but what about Necron Lychguard legs, or maybe Warriors legs.

Scyllax can be fun in Zone Mortalis with squad-wide flamers, but otherwise your "troop" choices should be Thallax and Castellax for Reductor and Cybernetica respectively, with thralls to plug holes and bubble-wrap.

With the addition of AP4 chainblades to the Thralls, I'm thinking about using a bunch of Repentia for a big mob of 20.

I had thought about using necron legs, sadly they seem to be in low supply of the bitz sellers.

Another idea i had is using zombie legs with some greenstuff and replacing the more decayed parts with bionics, from skitarii or what few necron legs i can scrounge together.

Archived