3D printing and its effect on future miniatures production

LutherMax

I don't think this will be an issue for GW.

People can make their own clothes, but we don't.

We can make our own sandwich in the morning but we still get stuff from the Deli shops, etc, etc.

We can sculpt our own models, but we dont.

But if all it took to make our own clothes was to download a file and push a few buttons on a printer, I think quite a few might.

There is also a 3D Pancake Printer - http://www.pancakebot.com/

Doesn't mean that IHOP or Waffle House are going out of business either

Pancakes are much easier to make than miniatures.

I can't make miniatures or pancakes. sad.png

Its ok there are also no Chinese pancake knockoffs and recookers so comparing apples and oranges just might not always be a great idea.

Its ok there are also no Chinese pancake knockoffs and recookers so comparing apples and oranges just might not always be a great idea.

Where pancakebot is the recaster and ihop/waffhouse is gw if i understand this tasty metaphor.

this topic is getting too fruity for my liking...

Eye candy i discovered today, 6mm so bloody impressive imo though its a higher end machine (ie not additive)

http://www.brumbaer.com/index.php/3d-printing

Makes my efforts look like the plastic blobs they are.

Btw i have seen 3d print clothing but not really on the practical/everyday wear scope... as yet.

I have to admit I can't see 3D printing being up to the task in a meaningful timeline (despite my desire for Star Trek replicators), but one area that I can see them going into is VR / AR.

It's something that's been crossing my mind for a while now, especially with the oncoming flurry of VR headsets and games like Pokemon Go which leverage AR. If GW wanted to they could develop systems that allow users to view digital versions of units and characters and use them in a sandbox environment. Imagine playing against someone on a table with a pair of VR googles that shows you the units, terrain, and various other items, in an application that can also handle / determine distances for movement, randomised dice rolling,etc. Now pop in an internet connection and have the ability to play with another person in real time across the globe as if they were in the room with you.

I think something like that could be a stronger potential than 3D printing, and could allow greater control of items from a GW side (only allowing you to use models you have rights for / have bought in the app).

Just my two pence...

So who has seen the Microsoft announcement today? They announced that they will implement 3d-functionality in their next year update for windows. And you will be able to scan objects with your smartphone camera and export them.as 3d models to paint 3d where you can then print models or alter the 3d models. Now this could have a big impact on GW because most will be able to 3d scan GW's models. I read only an article about that event. Has anybody seen it and can say more.on the.topic?

I doubt a phone can generate the level of detail a proper 3d scanner can (that demonstration used a Sand Castle which isn't even comparable to GW miniatures). I'm pretty sure that this app will not replace that hardware anytime soon.

I will try it as soon as possible and let you know.  You will likely be amazed.  Here is a brief of the technology behind the app, and this brief was from 1 year ago: https://3dprint.com/91439/mobilefusion-3d-scanning/

The quality of the model is related to the time you take to scan it.  But the level of detail is obviously way ahead of your expectations:

http://3dprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/mobilefusionani1.gif

mobilefusion2-1024x475.png

It would definitely need touchups for very sophisticated models at first, but it will be able to scan your 90s models currrently being reproduced in the made to order scheme fairly accrately at launch.

Regardless, let's not be shallow and think this app is the be all end all of things.  The point is that if a smartphone can do this, dedicated 3d scanners with macro mode cameras will be making light year advances in a year or so.

SD's point about the products being brittle is a big issue in manufacturing (I used to work assembling robotic workstations). IIRC, it's a function of the density of the material used to create the master/assembly parts. Because of the nature of how things are printing (essentially layering material and it binds to material underneath, again IIRC) the structure of the material has a lot of 'space' (can't think of the scientific term) between molecules. Like the difference between airbrush paint and out of the pot paint, the material used to 3D print is thinned. This isn't an issue if you're 3D printing something meant to be pliable, but if it need to be rigid you're out of luck.

Interesting I've read people want to explore 3D printing in space because you can increase the gravity via centrifugal force and create ultradense materials. That's neither here nor there, but it's how we will end up with those space age polymers and ceramics in sci-fi novels.

The scanning is amazing!

Still restricted by the quality of output you currently get from 3D printers though. That's the bit that's perhaps still some way off being a viable production method for comparable quality miniatures.

The scanning is amazing!

Still restricted by the quality of output you currently get from 3D printers though. That's the bit that's perhaps still some way off being a viable production method for comparable quality miniatures.

This

Being able to scan a 3D object and create a 3D design out of it is nothing without the ability to 'export' it, within the context of this conversation.

True, being able to go through your back catalogue of ancient minis, picking out your faves that are no longer in production, and making a 3D template for them is pretty good. It'll be a massive pain for GW, especially if recasters start this. But ultimately this is all down to the product that comes out at the end, and there's still far too many issues at the moment for this to be a big issue for GW for a few years yet.

Now, I hope GW are looking at this technology and looking to use this for their design team. Break out the older models, scan them to a 3D model, import them into their CAD software, clean them up and give them some minor updates - spit out to plastic. That would be awesome, and a great way to bring back popular designs without too much effort. I think the whole 'Made to Order' initiative will show that there are models people are crying out for.

• 1 month later...

It was stated on several main business news web sites and nz business newspapers that 3d printing is officially dead

The odd person does it but the whole thing is a failure in a sense that it doesnt work as was envisaged

Its not a concern to gw etc

Regardless of it's flaws. 3D printing is very good tool for rapid prototyping. I do 3D design myself. Mold lines can be worked around. It will never replace the regular process. However. I think we will have augmented reality VR mimi gaming before gw sells 3D prints. That would be sweet imagine painting your army and then it moves across the table on it's own. On an semi related note. I figured out how to build robots sans servos and with funding and some help. I could make minis that actually move without complex servos that need calibration

Anyone have endless funds and expertise with robotics and code. This could also easily replace over priced robotic hands aswell. I just suck at code so just ideas. Anyway. My 2 cents.

Archived