Iron Warriors 2500 pts (Ironfire)

WingCommander

Hello everyone,

after a longer break I'm planning to get back into the hobby. My first project will be Iron Warriors with Kyr Valen in charge. It is mainly a gunline force, which should represent a typical IW siege army. The idea behind the list is to join the Siege Tyrants with Valen, the Siege Breaker and the Apothecary to build a sturdy unit that rains rockets on enemies vehicles. During set up the unit is positioned together with the Quad Mortars and the Medusa behind the Aegis, which is improved by Valen to provide a 3+ cover. Later one the squad might advance midfield to take objectives. The Tactical Squads are used to grab and hold objectives, which are beyond the reach of the Siege Tyrants. The Contemptor serves as a mobile fire support unit, used where needed. I'm aware that I exceed the points limit by 5 points, but that should be okay.

I haven't played 30k for about three years, therefore I'm not sure if such a concept might work.

Any comment is very much appreciated!

+++ Iron Warriors (1855pts) +++

+ HQ +

Kyr Vhalen (195pts)

····Master of the Legion [The Ironfire]

Legion Centurion (95pts)

····Siege Breaker

+ Troops +

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts)

····9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]

····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier

Legion Tactical Squad (175pts)

····9x Legion Tactical Space Marines

····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier

+ Elites +

Apothecarion Detachment (45pts)

····Legion Apothecary

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts)

····Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (240pts)

····3 x Legion Rapier Quad Launcher

····Phosphex Canister Shot

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (155pts)

····Legion Medusa

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (545pts)

····9x Tyrant Terminator

+ Fortication +

Aegis Defence Line (50 pts)

Couple of thoughts for you...

"The Ironfire" cannot take any Fortifications, which rules out your ADL. Kyr Vhalen isn't an optimal choice to run with it, because his awesome Master of Fortifications rule is wasted (and it works better on a Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker to make it AV15). His Warlord Trait also lends itself to staying in your deployment zone, while "The Ironfire" promotes leaving it.

Why 1850 points? Do you expect to be playing in a 40k meta, because 2000-2500 is the average game size for 30k.

Your Siege Tyrant unit really won't be advancing anywhere late game, as they can't Run and aren't Scoring. And the Apothecary can't join Terminators - it's specifically mentioned in the new rules.

Personally, if you want to run "The Ironfire", take another Master of the Legion. If you want to take Kyr Vhalen (as you seem to), run "The Hammer of Olympia", as it works pretty well with a gunline army. :)

• 3 weeks later...

@Caillum

First of all, thanks a lot for your comment. That was truely helpful.

The first thing I did after reading your post was to re-read all entries in the Age of Darkness Army List to avoid another mistake like the one with the Apothecary and Fortifcation. pinch.gif It took me some time to go through all the entries and to come up with a new list, therefore my rather late response.

The reason for 1850 points was indeed that I play in a 40k meta. But as everyone has rather big armies around here, it should be no problem to play larger numbers of points. Therefore, I went up to 2500 points and tried to add some mobility to the list. I added a large Tactical Squad and a Spartan and skipped Vhalen. Instead of him I went for a CC-oriented Preator, who leads the before mentioned Tacticals into Combat. They are supported by an Apothecary and embark the Spartan to drive directly to the enemy. The Siege Breaker goes into the Tyrants to give them Tank Hunter; the squad moves into midfield. The artillery stays in the back, the other Tactical Squads grab objectives. At least, that's the plan. Better?!

+++ Iron Warriors Iron Fire (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (305pts) +

Legion Praetor (165pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade]
····Master of the Legion: The Ironfire

Legion Centurion (140pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]
····Siege Breaker

+ Troops (650pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (205pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade, Multi-melta]

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 17x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

+ Elites (500pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (65pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (195pts) [Havoc Launcher, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (240pts) [Phosphex Canister Shot]
····Legion Rapier Quad Launcher

+ Heavy Support (1045pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (155pts) [Legion Medusa]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (775pts) [7x Tyrant Terminator]
····Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade]

I'd put an augury scanner on the apothercary - helps push back infiltrators. I'd also consider shatter shells on the quad mortars - it starts making them expensive but I think you could do with a little extra anti-tank (meta dependent)

I'd also invest in a flare shield for the Spartan - helps keep it alive, particularly if you're using it as bunker for the first few turns (only exposing the front armour).

To pay for the upgrades I'd drop the power sword of the apothercary, the tac squad down to 15 and even drop a siege tyrant.

Yeah, all of it makes sense. I must have overlooked the Flare Shield. Together with Ceramite it makes the Spartan super-sturdy. woot.gif I knew that the Spartan is a good vehicle, but I wasn't aware how good it can be. Regarding the Augury Scanner: Can I use it from inside a transport and use the transport's weapons when shooting on Deep Striking enemies? I guess not, as that would be insanely powerful.

Btw. if I downsize the Tyrants and large Tacticals and distribute the different kinds of shells between two squads I could field one more Quad Launcher (I do have four already). I think that's even better than one squad of three with both types of special shells. Don't you think so? The list would look like this:

+++ Iron Warriors Iron Fire (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (305pts) +

Legion Centurion (140pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist]
····Siege Breaker

Legion Praetor (165pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade]
····Master of the Legion [The Ironfire]

+ Troops (600pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (190pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, 12x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

+ Elites (555pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (60pts)
····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (195pts) [Havoc Launcher, Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (140pts) [shatter Shell]

Legion Quad Launcher Support Battery (160pts) [Phosphex Canister Shot]

+ Heavy Support (1040pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (155pts) [Legion Medusa]

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius (115pts)

Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad (770pts) [6x Tyrant Terminator]
····Legion Spartan Assault Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield]

Archived