1850 Alpha Legion Tournament List

grendal1989

So below is the list I have devised for an 1850 40k/30k tournament next month. The field will probably be more heavily 40k than 30k and the missions are fairly varied and balanced. (http://warzoneatlanta.com/assets/2016%20Warzone%20Atlanta%20Mission%20Packet%20V4.pdf)

Thoughts? 

+++ Alpha Legion Warzone ATL (1850pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ HQ (322pts) +

Legion Praetor (322pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Mastercraft a Single Weapon (paragon blade), Paragon Blade, Power Dagger, Volkite Charger]
····Legion Terminator Command Squad [Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Chainfist, 2x Legion Space Marine Chosen, 2x Power Fist]

+ Troops (550pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Marksmen, 2x Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Multi-melta]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Marksmen]

+ Elites (523pts) +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (110pts)
····Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Laser Destroyer Array]

Techmarine Covenant (233pts)
····Legion Techmarine [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier]
········Techmarine/Forgelord Options [Augury Scanner, 4x Rad Missile Launcher , Rad Grenades, 4x Servo-automata]

+ Fast Attack (455pts) +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (115pts)

Legion Seeker Squad (225pts) [4x Combi-weapon, 5x Legion Seeker Space Marines]
····Legion Strike Leader [Artificer Armour]

Small model count is an issue. Definitely easy to lose those 2 VP, but I'm hoping since mission Battle Point scores are done on the VP spread it's not as bad. I will say that the Twin Kheres Contemptor has always been a strong performer for me, especially with the option to drop in if the situation warrants it, and the laser rapier destroyers do pretty well with tank hunter mutable tactics if the opponent really has something that needs killing. The servo-atomata have only seen limited table time, and take a careful hand using the rhino and terrain to screen them, but the fleshbane AP3 small blasts usually hurt. They are somewhat points intensive though.

Could you point me towards something you think would be a more competitive AL list?

At that point level, I would take Skorr with Chosen Duty Rite of War so you can take veterans with all the USRs as your troops.  A plasma support squad in a Rhino would be a lot cheaper than those seekers in a dreadclaw. The claws in general seem a bit wasted.

Glad to hear you get good mileage from the Mortis. I always felt they should have been reduced in cost and/or be able to be taken in talons. I just feel its special rules leave some things to be desired, as a 45 degree intercept bubble with 24" guns is not a whole lot of surface area. 

The nastiest thing you can drop in general is a Leviathan.

I always forget about Skorr and the delegatus rite, that's a great idea. Has the potential to give me free VP too and lets me choose my Warlord Trait. I'll have to figure out what to do without the command squad for CC. 

I like the idea of the plasma support squad. I'll have to get enough plasma guns built for that, but I was surprised to find that 5 guys with plasma in a rhino with MM costs 225 pts, the same as the seekers alone.

The main reason for the claws is that I love the model and have 2. The plan is to deliver the terminator command squad and place the seekers or mortis upfield as I see fit. Also, 40k players seem to get confused about them having jink, flying people across the board, and popping rhinos with regular fire sweep, despite being told up front. With them having inertial dampeners now, I can actually burn things when deep striking. So I'd really like to keep at least one, but want to be able to use them effectively.

A more cost-effective way to run the support squad is to give the sgt artificer armor and just take a free combi-plasma. So for the first volley he will contribute, and then since this squad will draw a LOT of hate, he will be in the front catching bullets, so when he inevitably bites one, you're not losing too much of an investment.  Support squads are the bomb, especially for Alpha Legion, because depending on Mutable Tactics and what characters you bring, they can have Tank Hunter, Infiltrate, Scout, Preferred Enemy (Alpharius), Stealth (Skorr), Move Through Cover (Skorr), free Deep Strike (Dynat) +1 to penetration rolls (Dynat), or more likely a combination of several of these USRs.  Same principle applies to Veterans, except they also bring their own special rules on top.

Instead of the command squad you can just take a terminator squad and put them in a dreadclaw.  Or take an 8-man Veteran squad built for close combat, add an apothecary, and add Skorr, also in a dreadclaw.  Either option would give you an additional scoring unit, and the latter would also guard against giving up Chosen Duty VPs.

So for example (please forgive points as I am doing this off the top of my head).

Apothecary with artificer armor, power sword - 65

8 Veterans - 216

Sgt with artificer armor, power fist, dagger; 

4 combi-meltas, 1 power axe, optional meltabombs depending on meta

These guys can take the WS5 veteran tactic, or if you are just facing a bunch of armor and WS3 dudes, you can take Machine Killers for stronger meltaguns. You can even take sniper in a pinch if you just need to gun down monstrous creatures.

Ok, based on your feedback I have come up with a different list. It does still have things you don't dig but I think is overall stronger and more flexible. I thought about giving the CC vet squad Resolve, but I think Weapon Masters will help more

+ HQ (125pts) +

Autilon Skorr (125pts)

········Master of the Legion [Chosen Duty]

+ Troops (946pts) +

Legion Tactical Support Squad (170pts) [4x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]

····Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-Plasma]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (280pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Marksmen, 2x Missile Launcher and Suspensor Web]

····     Veteran Tactics Marksmen

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (226pts) [4x Combi-Melta, 7x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Marksmen, Power Axe]

····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Dagger, Power Fist]

····     Veteran Tactics Weapon Masters

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (270pts) [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Marksmen]

····     Veteran Tactics Marksmen

+ Elites (546pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (65pts)

····Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Power Sword]

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (110pts)

Techmarine Covenant (191pts)

····Legion Techmarine [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier]

········Techmarine/Forgelord Options [3x Missile Launcher (Rad Missiles), Rad Grenades, 3x Servo-automata]

+ Fast Attack (230pts) +

Mostly. Also, their AP3 Fleshbane small blasts are fairly versatile, at least in the local meta. If I am worried about them getting alpha struck or something I'll just keep them in the rhino and shoot out the top. This'll also be the real test if it is worthwhile.

Archived