Raven Guard 2nd Co. WIP Log - Return to 40k

Alcyon

It's been about a decade since I sold all my miniatures and I'm just now getting back into it! I love the new Formations and I've picked up some Vanguard Veterans and Scouts to start potentially rebuilding a collection. 

I don't have much to show yet, but I finally finished modelling the Vanguards and am going to move on to painting and basing soon. I wanted to show these guys off as the posing you can do with the new models is very dynamic since I last played. Huge shoutout to averykess' arm magnettization tutorial, I ordered from K&J and it was a snap assembling these dudes. I did actually glue one magnet in with the wrong polarity (taught me a lesson about the "torso-first" trick) and had to drill through the sub-shoulder pad to poke out the magnet.

Ignore the blu-tack, I've only glued torsos and bases to legs so I can easily access everything else while painting (and do the arms white.) Planning to go with this grey Tamiya primer and paint black over it as I hate doing black on black, can never tell if I have a smooth coat.

There is still obviously some cleanup to do re: places where the sprue was connected but I think I have most of the mold lines. Besides flush cutters (I just use side cutters), anyone have a good method for removing these? I have been cutting it off with an Xacto, then gently filing down with a paper nail file, but as you can see it leaves marks. It feels smooth so I hope the primer will fill it in.

IMG 7251

I really wanted to do something unique with the Relic Blade because everyone's got theirs thrust in the air; my brother fights German Longsword so I asked him if this was a reasonable position. Initially I had the blade flat for more of a mid-thrust pose but he said it was more likely he'd be guarding like this and cautiously moving up. The shield arms are a bit wide so it's hard to model them keeping it close to the chest without alteration. Sword is pinned so I can theoretically swap it for a chainsword.

IMG 7252

The forward-pointing claws are a bit weird but I was glad to have a pose with less of a torso twist; too much and it makes the weight of the backpack look wrong. 

IMG 7253

Definitely warming up to the Mark IV Maximus helm.

IMG 7254

Obligatory RG beakie.

IMG 7255

And the stylized Mark III, though I hate those "artificer" sandal boots.

IMG 7250

Finally the whole squad! I'm stoked, they have a real "it's clobberin' time!" vibe. You'll notice I've sanded the bases flat as well as I plan to use the Agrellan Earth paint to base them rather than giant flock like I did last time.

Seems like the left shoulder pads don't have a lot of room for the chapter symbol. I've been considering making a Forgeworld order for pads but if I set a precedent with those I feel like I'll need to buy them for the whole army. Can you guys fit transfers on the left side pads? Do you even use the Vanguard kit pads for the left shoulder?

The guy who runs my local GW painted up this guy and I really like the muted brass type of look he's got (sorry about the bad photo.) I'm planning something like this for all the adornment to keep it subtle but still going for white arms. Also going to rip off SCC's white faces as I love that contrast, probably will end up doing that on every marine just because.

http://i.imgur.com/bWyvRm1.jpg

Archived