My take on Sableclaw - pictures included

sneakybamsen

I am, at some point in the fairly near future going to do a conversion of Sableclaw in part inspired by Epher. I have a speeder ready for the task (not a tempest as some use), and I just got the idea of getting an Emperor's Champion model and using that sword+arm for Sammael. What do you guys think?

Regards

Sneaky

Edit: For images, look further down.

Here you go:

You have three good sources of impressive DA-style swords: Ravenwing Upgrade sprue, Ravenwing Black Knights, and the new DA Chapter Upgrade. There are a couple more swords in the DA Company Veterans set too, but I'm not very keen on them personally.

Alternatively, if you have multiple copies of Dark Vengeance, maybe you can take the sword from a spare copy of Company Master Balthasar?

:)

I must say that the Emperor's Champion's sword does look pretty cool. It would be an expensive sword. I think it would work well. It could have been a gift from the Emperor to the First Legion and passed down into the chapter. There are lots of fluffy ways to tie it in. You should post some pics of your work in progress too!

Yeah, it's an expensive sword, and it's the right arm, not the left which would fit the model better. Just that the champion is so damn cool :)

With that said, it's probably going to be more work than I can manage to pull off, so I have turned my gaze to the sergeant powersword from the deathwing boxes. At least for the long blade (which I dig). I'd probably have to cut the blade from the guard, and attach it to a more fitting grip+guard/hand/arm solution, but I think it could be made cool. Or am I missing something?

Gilbear, I agree on the swords from the veterans, they are just petty. The ravenwing swords are ok, but I like the elongated blades better, especially for a weapon which is wielded by the grand master of the ravenwing :)

Thanks for the replies.

Regards

Sneaky

The Deathwing sword is cool, but it'd be weird for the Master of the Ravenwing to have a sword which (from memory - I'm at work) has a Deathwing Broken Sword emblem on it.  It's also a bit of a fiddle to get off the hilt as it has got some keys etc... that dangle "down" along the blade.  I assume that you won't have it pointing straight down so they need to be filed off - it's doable, just be gentle!

Tygwyn, you might be right about that, I guess I'll have to have another look at the sword to see if it's manageable. I don't recall it having the broken sword on it, however, so that part does not concern me =)

Might be I'll be stuck with the ravenwing blades afterall. Just wanted something cooler and meaner looking =)

Thanks for the reply

/Sneaky

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with the Deathwing sergeants sword, and below you can see my take on our Grand Master of the Ravenwing. Not greatly different from a few other Sableclaws, but not hard to do at all either. I had a spare landspeeder and the bits from various sprues, so this guy actually didn't cost me anything :)

I am not feeling too bad about the result, I think he could be made tabletop worthy with some paint.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w511/sneakybamsen/IMG_0909_zpshym4zfjf.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w511/sneakybamsen/IMG_0912_zpsxgrrxrni.jpg

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w511/sneakybamsen/IMG_0911_zpssfyhlx73.jpg

Regards

Sneaky

Archived