Knight Crusader Loadout and Knight combinations

Link2edition

I have recently acquired 3 Knights, 1 Paladin (already assembled) and two with enough bits to make any other variant.

I know I want one to be a Crusader but I don't know if the battle cannon or melta cannon would be better since the dakka cannon only has a 36in range. What has been your experience?

Also I am undecided on what the third knight should be. I plan on running a baron's court with space marines in support.

Advice would be appreciated.

Got to agree, magnetization is a good idea if you're not sure what you want to run.  If you're set on the Crusader I think the best overall setup is probably melta cannon with the Avenger Chaingun since this gives you a good mix of anti-armour and TEQ/MEQ killing potential.  The Rapid Fire Battle Cannon is a bit redundant in this case.

Since you've already got a Paladin (my next choice) and you're going for a Baron's Court, the sky is really the limit as to your third IK.  I like the Warden for some additional infantry clearing potential at no loss of melee capability, though you could save some points here and go for a Gallant with a carapace weapon if you wanted a dedicated bodyguard for your Crusader (which will be surprisingly vulnerable to assaults).

Have you decided which Knightly House you'll be aligning them to?  :cool.:

I haven't picked a house yet. I plan on filling out the rest of the list with Black Templar allies so probably something with lots of Black and red. The fluff is that a Templar crusade clashed with a chaos incursion on the baron's world and lost most of its armor. The baron and the marshal of the crusade have formed a hasty alliance to save what is left of the world.

I don't think I have enough bits to make two models with the Chaingun. Your wording of "If you are set on the crusader" makes me wonder if you don't think the crusader is the best choice. Do you prefer a different setup?

Well, I've seen the Crusader do well, but I've also seen it go down like a chump.  The problem it has is that without the Reaper Chainsword, it struggles with tough foes since all it can do is Stomp (unreliable) and swing away with Smash.  When it does, you lose TWO big guns instead of 1, and you paid a lot of points to do so.  I'm not saying it's bad, but you'll need to use your other IKs and whatever assault elements you can prepare to either screen or fend off sneaky melee opponents that can bring the Crusader to task.

Beyond that, the Crusader also pushes itself into a pure fire support role, for which it is a solid unit but it also robs you of the immense melee potential all of the other IKs offer.  To really get your points back on IKs, you want to get them in melee to double up on the killing potential, and the Crusader is essentially fighting that concept by its very design.

In that respect, if you're going to be fielding a full detachment (not just a single Oathsworn), a mix of the other four configurations honestly offers a lot more flexibility and allows you to split your forces more efficiently.  Still, the Crusader is by no means a bad choice and can be brutal when you need the full measure of fire support, just make sure you have a plan to deal with its drawbacks!  :happy.:

edit:  Whoops, mixing up my 40k with my WM!  Corrected!  :tongue.:

Edited by Vel'Cona

I would suggest to read this thread about tactics and loadouts for the Imperial Knights: www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/307235-tactica-imperial-knights-blood-angels-and-cult-done/ :smile.:

This other post too has a lot of interesting opinions on the subject: www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/316711-what-gw-knights-do-people-find-work-best/

I did end up magentizing the first knight, now it can truely count as any variant. I didnt use 6mm magnets but it seems to have worked ok.

Now I have enough bits to make the last knight a paladin or errant, I will probably magentize so I can do either but I dont know why I would ever want to run two paladins...

There is a 2500 point tourney coming up this weekend. I am going to try the knights out. I have a list up in the list forum which I will link to once I get it updated.

The combination I am looking at is Warden(Baron), Paladin, Errant. Then I am allying in 2 obsec landraiders full of angry black Templar and a culexus.

Well, I've seen the Crusader do well, but I've also seen it go down like a chump.  The problem it has is that without the Reaper Chainsword, it struggles with tough foes since all it can do is Stomp (unreliable) and swing away with Smash.  Yes, it can keep shooting when locked, but this still means it tends to get taken down by MCs much more easily than its close combat prepared brethren.  When it does, you lose TWO big guns instead of 1, and you paid a lot of points to do so.  I'm not saying it's bad, but you'll need to use your other IKs and whatever assault elements you can prepare to either screen or fend off sneaky melee opponents that can bring the Crusader to task.

Beyond that, the Crusader also pushes itself into a pure fire support role, for which it is a solid unit but it also robs you of the immense melee potential all of the other IKs offer.  To really get your points back on IKs, you want to get them in melee to double up on the killing potential, and the Crusader is essentially fighting that concept by its very design.

In that respect, if you're going to be fielding a full detachment (not just a single Oathsworn), a mix of the other four configurations honestly offers a lot more flexibility and allows you to split your forces more efficiently.  Still, the Crusader is by no means a bad choice and can be brutal when you need the full measure of fire support, just make sure you have a plan to deal with its drawbacks!  :happy.:

How does it keep shooting while locked? I couldn't find that in the rules.