Night Lords Terror Assault 2500

Aarant

I don't actually own Night Lords at this time but am thinking of starting them, would love some feed back on my list.

+ HQ (175pts) +

Sevatar (175pts) [Master of the Legion]

+ Elites (400pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (205pts)

Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, 2x Plasma Blaster]

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (195pts)

Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, 2x Graviton Gun]

+ Troops (910pts) +

Terror Squad (290pts) [8x Executioner, Legion Drop Pod, 9x Volkite Charger]

Headsman [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Terror Squad (310pts) [9x Executioner, Legion Drop Pod, 10x Volkite Charger]

Terror Squad (310pts) [9x Executioner, Legion Drop Pod, 10x Volkite Charger]

+ Fast Attack (460pts) +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (115pts)

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod (115pts)

Legion Outrider Squad (230pts) [6x Legion Space Marine Outrider, 2x Power Weapon]

Outrider Sergeant [Power Fist]

+ Heavy Support (555pts) +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (555pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

Overall looks pretty good, but you could really save a lot of pts on downgrading your drop pods. Kharydbis just isn't worth it for a leviathan, save a lot of points and take the ddp. Also that means you can shoot when you drop in, which is really important for a terror Assualt list since you're lacking in anti tank. To that end I'd take the melta lance, super useful anti tank weapon.

I would look at using some of the points you save on dropping the Kharybdis to add another unit in a drop pod in of some kind,so as to give you an uneven amount of drop pods. This will let you Deep Strike 4 units on the first turn instead of 3.

I've run leviathans in many forms and have very mixed feelings about the dreadnought drop pod. My best experience so far has been double storm cannon foot slogging, and double grav-flux foot slogging, very little luck out side those 2. I'm hoping the kharybdis will get me around the table a little safer and allow me to assault turn 2

Why? It's ablative hull points for the dreadnoughts and shrouded for any assault pods or bikes that you brought along. Grav flux bombard and I guess indirectly firing phosphex discharger ignore the shrouded, and if you absolutely have to get your shots in, you can always disembark and still have a big vehicle blocking LOS to side shots and be immune to charges.

Also, Sevatar unfortunately does not have Infltrate, so he cannot join the unit inside the Dreadclaw. He needs another ride.

Master of Ambush is Warlord and 3 units of his choice. He gains Infiltrate automatically. So he dodges the dumb FAQ restrictions anyway. 

Interestingly, this means you could Infiltrate Terminators with him. Not as easy to kill as Terror squads, which land Turn 1 anyway, and they bring combi-plasma+power fists. Can also Infiltrate Night Raptors with Sevatar, although he'd have to hang out with another squad as no jump pack. 

Master of Ambush is Warlord and 3 units of his choice. He gains Infiltrate automatically. So he dodges the dumb FAQ restrictions anyway.

Check again. Sevatar's version of Master of Ambush is not that at all. "All friendly Outfalnking units gain Acute Senses while Sevatar is alive". So... he still needs a unit to join. :/ One of his issues.

I too think the Dreadclaws and Kharybdis would be better as Dreadnought Drop Pods - saves you a tonne of points to find an extra Drop Pod unit, as per Riptor's suggestion. Maybe something as basic as a Veteran Squad for Sevatar to ride with?

Check again. Sevatar's version of Master of Ambush is not that at all. "All friendly Outfalnking units gain Acute Senses while Sevatar is alive". So... he still needs a unit to join. :/ One of his issues.

I too think the Dreadclaws and Kharybdis would be better as Dreadnought Drop Pods - saves you a tonne of points to find an extra Drop Pod unit, as per Riptor's suggestion. Maybe something as basic as a Veteran Squad for Sevatar to ride with?

^ This. All of this. I would keep the Leviathan with either Drill & Claw as you have him or go Drill & CML... two best load outs for a NL Leviathan in my opinion. Also, if you're not bringing any Terminators, Sevatar's utility is dramatically diminished. Sure he's a monster in a challenge, but so is a Cataphractii Terminator Praetor with a Paragon Blade, or a AA/Iron Halo Jump Pack Praetor with a Paragon Blade & a Power Fist, and both are much more survivable and have better unit-joining options.

Updated list

Night Lords

Sevatar

Legion Terminator Squad [2x Chainfist 2x Lightning Claw, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Teleportation Transponder, 4x Volkite Charger]

Legion Terminator Sergeant [Grenade Harness, Lightning Claw, Volkite Charger]

Legion Terminator Squad [2x Chainfist 2x Lightning Claw, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Teleportation Transponder, 4x Volkite Charger]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [Legion Drop Pod, 4x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Veteran Tactical Squad, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen] Combi-Plasma x5

Terror Squad [9x Executioner, Legion Drop Pod, 10x Volkite Charger]

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill]

So basically, gonna just switch the lightning claws to power fists and the combi plasma to combi melta

My understanding with infiltration is he can join the unit so long as they weren't infiltrating, which they wouldn't be, doesn't matter now though I like this new list more

No, Infiltration requires the IC AND the unit to both have the rule to be able to join one another or its a no go regardless of if they are using the rule or not.

GW Clarified that thats how that rule goes.

^ Actually that is not quite correct. An independent character with Infiltrate can indeed join a unit without Infiltrate, it's just that this action happens too late for the unit to be able to Infiltrate. They would be able to outflank if held in reserve, however.

The reason a character without the rule can't join a unit with the rule, is because a unit must be already deployed (or held in reserves) for an IC to join it. Since Infiltrators deploy last, if a character doesn't have Infiltrate, he will have already been deployed by the time you start messing with the Infiltrator unit.

@Aarant - I would leave the veterans alone and let them keep their combi-plasmas, because plasma benefits a lot more from precision shot. The unit in general should be going after 2+ armor saves and other things that don't like snipers.  Your fist/chainfist terminators, on the other hand, will be going after vehicles.  I'd give two units combi-meltas, and the other combi-plasmas, so you will have 10 of each in the list. 

Volkite chargers really aren't 7 points awesome without preferred enemy (I know this from experience running Lernean terminators with and without Alpharius), and you already have three full units of volkite. You don't need more.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my finialized list

Sevatar

Terror Assault RoW

Legion Terminators

Tartaros|2 x Chainfist|3 x power fist|5 x combi-melta|Teleportation Transponder

Legion Terminators

Legion Terminators

Tartaros|2 x Chainfist|3 x power fist|5 x combi-plasma|Teleportation Transponder

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad

Marksman|5 x combi-plasma|drop pod

Terror Squad

10 x Volkite Charger|drop pod|artificer armour|power fist

Terror Squad

Terror Squad

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought

Dreadnought drop pod|cyclonic melta lance|siege drill|2 x heavy flamer

So this is my finialized list

Sevatar

Terror Assault RoW

Legion Terminators

Legion Terminators

Legion Terminators

Tartaros|2 x Chainfist|3 x power fist|5 x combi-plasma|Teleportation Transponder

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad

Marksman|5 x combi-plasma|drop pod

Terror Squad

Terror Squad

Terror Squad

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought

Dreadnought drop pod|cyclonic melta lance|siege drill|2 x heavy flamer

Sorry for the double posting, my phone is messed up

Archived