What is this thingy?

Magos Takatus

Whats This Thingy

So I was looking at my Skitarii and considering if it would look better if I put a bayonet on the Radium Carbines of the guys that most look like they want to hit things with their guns rather than shoot but then my attention was drawn to the strange lug fitted to the barrel. I didn't know what it was called or what it did. Can you hang your gun up with it? Do you attach something to it? I was trying to upload a picture and for some reason the gallery was having a tantrum and I considered that on a larger weapon there would be a fitting there for a bipod, or maybe it's a fitting for a shoulder strap?

Not being a firearms expert I don't know if it's a useful fitting or just something random a modeller put on to make the barrel look more interesting. Does anyone know what the this piece is called and what it does? Would you let me know so I can get back to finishing my current squad of Vanguard please? :)

Especially with AdMech, there is probably a huge range of possible answers. Since it appears more of a round opening for a bolt or such, I'd argue for a locking part for an attachment over a rifle shoulder strap. The bipod seems likely, though there are snap on bayonets with related fixing options - bayonets are also pretty WWI which seems more often used a design reference for Imperial hardware. AdMech is more steampunky though, so I guess all bets are off in the end. Maybe it mounts an underslung one shot sonic implosion device delivery mechanism?

Note that Imperial Knights have similar things too and that these are a remnant of a bygone age when the Knight was used for non-war purposes. Whilst I'm not saying it's there so the Skitarii can hang his weekly shopping off it, it's likely to have some other (and as yet unmentioned) mundane purpose: so a clip for an attachment of some kind, a strap, and so on.

You are probabky right. But a shoulder strap mount - That is soo...uninspired.

;P

It's a special key - that no-one else knows about - to get in the front door of an Emperor Titan's leg. ;)

Its an homage to the art styles of Sci-Fi in the 40's and 50's, which is again stylised from WWII rifle shoulder sling brackets. Basically, it's a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy, etc, until the original meaning and function is lost, just like everything else the AdMech does.

SJ

It's the fing-finger, an empirically derived 'optimal entertainment:cost' device; in effect, it's a multi-purpose 'toy' (for want of a better word) that the skitarii can use for intricately described individual or communal (both competitive and cooperative) games and sports.

One of the most pre-eminent is, on rare but lauded occasion, the opportunity to make cyber-hearty non-combat use of their imaginations: the classic game "what is this?", akin to the Magos's Felid, but primarily oriented towards figuring out what the fing-finger might be if it wasn't a fing-finger.

The titans in Epic used to have an option for a devotional bell to inspire nearby troops. Perhaps this could be scaled down on an individual basis so that when the Data-Tethers are not working correctly each Vanguard soldier has his own morale-boosting module installed on his carbine?

The titans in Epic used to have an option for a devotional bell to inspire nearby troops. Perhaps this could be scaled down on an individual basis so that when the Data-Tethers are not working correctly each Vanguard soldier has his own morale-boosting module installed on his carbine?

That reminds me of Batty's knight, with a bell on the barrel of the cannon so it tolls for every shot. 

Archived