genestealer cult models as SM scouts?

darknation

Love the idea for them as renegade scouts, but for recon marines I would say they are a bit small and looks more like scouts/ guardsmen.

Really nice use of the bits at hand and a great colour scheme, nice and gritty.

Where did you get those heads from?

That is awesome!

Reading the title of the thread, I was initially totally against the idea, then I saw your photo and you completely turned me around.  It is a combination of your excellent painting skills, your palette choices, your conversion/kitbash skills, alongside the actual pieces.

Thanks for sharing this.  Very cool stuff.  I totally dig this for 30k Traitor Legionnaires in Recon Armour.

Man, that's really clever of you!  These look great, and anyone who sees them will recognize them as Space Marine Scouts.  But at the same time, they have a subtly different look that makes them unique and full of character.

It makes sense to me that there would be some variation in how different Chapters equip their Scouts in terms of armor, rebreathers, etc. -- this equipment would be locally-produced, since it is far less complex than power armor.  Based on this logic, I think you could use Genestealer Cult models for Loyalist Chapter Scouts as well as Renegades-- although different, more 'heroic' heads (as opposed to the Flagellant and Chaos Cultist heads you've used here) would be better for the former.

Wendigo

Very clever conversion and an excellent paint job.

Regarding "other" heads, take a look at Rust Stalkers. They have some interesting looking heads. I got some for an Inquisitorial warband I'll be working on.

Cheers,

Sure, though the bitz list is surprisingly small.

1) Bodies and arms are from the overkill boxed set. The cultists in there are basically mono-pose; It would be much, much easier to use the new Hybrid Neophyte box set. Lesson learned.

2) Heads are from the Dark Vengeance cultist sprue. I also used heads from the Empire Flagrants kit. To make the damn things fit into the armour, be prepared to shave down their chins.

3) Umbra Ferrox pattern boltguns from Forgeworld. I used these for a couple reasons; - first, I want to be able to use them in heresy-era games. Second, they are a tad thinner than regular garden-variety bolters, so they fit into guardsmen-sized hands. The new sisters of silence come with these bolters in glorious plastic as opposed to inglorious resin, so check ebay.

4) Scout shoulder pads. I press-molded these to save myself from financial pain, though I think you could just trim down regular space marine pauldrons and call it a day. Might even be preferable, you could use the Legion pads from forgeworld and keep the legion icons on them.

As for the conversions, be prepared for an infinite amount of rage as you try to separate the cold, dead hands of the cultists from their autoguns. These are some tiny, tiny pieces. *And* you get the joy of having to the pin the wrists back to the arms.

Speaking of arms, spacing these for optimal boltgun positioning was also a pain. In a couple instances I had to carve the left arm off the body and re-sculpt most of it. I just made an armature out of wire, wrapped it in green stuff bandages and hoped for the best.

Additional arm heartbreak: Some of these dudes are left-handed. These boltguns have no shell ejection port on the left-hand side. More drilling + greenstuff required.

Other greenstuffing involved filling in gaps, making gauntlets to cover some suspiciously Xenos looking chitin, etc.

plan is a full army. Started on my first marine today.

image.jpg

Base is a Mk4 Thousand Son but... annoyingly, these guys are actually true scale. They are a head higher than a normal marine. Which has broken my scout scale entirely.

Are the plastic HH miniatures also scaled larger than the standard marines? If anyone has a Mk 4 + Scout comparison shot, could they post it?

Despite the palpable pain from your parts list I think the results are awesome. Really good conversion work and a nice end result. The genestealer hybrids have added a wealth of conversion parts and it's good to see them get use on B&C - id never thought of them used that way!

Got more in store for us?

Archived