Heresy era and 40k Silver Skulls

Right. A few weeks ago, after reading a few of the 40k silver skulls books, I decided to commit to a 30k silver skulls themed army. I'm a sucker for second and third founding chapters and that early transition is one of my favourite parts of the fluff. Coupled with my keenness for the skulls fluff, I knew that I had to have a go.

You may be asking yourself, LoP, how are you going to make a themed army around something that hasn't been explored at all the 31st millennium. Well, I have a pretty specific way I want to make the army and I'm going to try and use the little background information, a lot of speculation, fan theory and my own nonsense.

If BL or FW ever expand on the skulls pre 40k background it's probably going to turn out that my army is totally wrong. That is not going to deter me and it's been a while that I have been so excited to try and make something.

Additionally, if I turn out to be right I can put it down to my own extreme divination skills and that cements me as a useful member of the prognosticators.

As a cereal flip-flopper Im also desperate to keep on track and actually get on and finish an army. So I have a few building WIPs to post and a general background fluff section to prepare and post.

See you soon!

Edit: also committed to a small campaign as 40k silver skulls. So I'll be in and out posting bits of that.

Thanks matey. I appreciate the initial support! You haven't even seen my crappy painting yet. Yes, the headhunting. There are sources that say that the behaviour of the 40k chapter is heavily influenced by their current home world. A world of ice, mountains and barbarians.

I am taking a more liberal approach to that idea. I think it's totally possible that over the coarse of 8000 years (I need to fact check the time line, I think this is right, there is a previous home world as well) the chapter may well have influenced the planet as much as the other way around and the exact specifics the when's and the how's this practice starting are lost in time.

I also recently spoke to the author (Sarah Cawkwell, very generous with her time) of the 40k skulls books and she said that her original intention was for the chapter to be a white scars second founding. She was asked to move them back to an ultramarines chapter whilst writing the books. Since the White scars have a interest in head taking and the way I'm going to build the army I will probably have a few decapitions scattered around, even if they aren't dipped in silver.

As for librarians. I'm going to try and field as many as humanly possible. Again some have suggested that the divination heavy focus comes from the homeworld. I have seen no actually evidence of that so choose to make my heresy force very librarian heavy.

Thanks again for the interest.

Thanks everyone, I'm back at home tonight so I can prime and base spray these guys at least and get some paint on some models.

Thought I would post a little bit about what I'm thinking background wise for the force. If any new info comes to light this is subject to change and additions.

As it stands the Silver Skulls are thought to be an Ultramarine successor chapter. That's totally cool by me (Ultrafan) and so the main bulk of the force is going to be the ultramarine legion. My overall aim is to eventually have roughly two heresy armies. Ones a pure Ultramarines list and the other a shattered legion list. The pure ultramarine silver skulls will be to serve as an army in events and such like if they aren't keen on shattered legion lists (if I go to any events that is). My shattered legion list is still going to be mostly ultramarines but with an element of whites scars and a smattering of loyalist iron warriors.

So, a bit of fluff theory. As posted previously, the author of the Silver Skulls 40k books, Sarah Cawkwell, told me that her original intention was for the Skulls to be pushed in the White scar direction. After being told this I started to see a lot of white scar influence in the books. I decided that in terms of the chapters early formation it made sense then that they were influenced by the White scars. That maybe they gained a more hunting style of warfare and general philosophy from fighting along side them or potentially having personnel from the White scars incorperated into the early chapter. I don't think this is out of the realms of possibility. We have White scars on imperium secundus and probably small groups split up across the galaxy during the heresy.

One of the prevalent fan theories about the Skulls on the old interwebways is that they are a loyalist iron warrior force incorporated into the ultramarines legion during the heresy. This stems from the chapter colours and icon. It is theorised that the silver skull displayed on shoulder pads is in reference to or in honour of Loyalist warsmith Dantioch. Given the importance of Dantioch I'm perfectly happy with the idea that the chapter has some link to him. However I'm not that keen on the idea that the chapter was formed from a loyalist IW company. It seems a little weird to keep the colours and icon of their traitorous kin, even as an act of defiance. It's also much more difficult to make an Iron Warriors army play in the style of the skulls 40k chapter, given how different they are.

My personal idea is that the proto-chapter was sent out to hunt traitors after the events of know no fear, unremembered empire and Pharos. As a fighting unit they incorporate some of the hunting and warrior tactics of their white scars brothers and their operations are being guided by the newly re established librarians (and somewhat supervised by a chaplain or two).

If I was going super specific with my fan fictioning, I would put Tauro Nicodemus as the 'chapter master'. He is the ultramarines legion premier swordsman, which is cool and I imagine he is the type of character who could command the respect of a white scars contingent and possibly iron warriors. He also brought Dantioch into the loyalist fold so I imagine hey have somewhat of a friendship (off screen) and could possibly be motivated to at least organise a group to retaliate after the events of the books. From a meta perspective he also shares a name with a character is the 40k skulls books. And for a superstitious chapter that seems like a good omen.

Because of this I'm going for an aggressive, fast moving, drop pod using, bike riding, close combat focussed force. I think this also ties nicely into the way I imagine the 40k chapter operates as well.

Archived