Lore question: iX Legion pre-Sanguinius

Indefragable

Pretty much nothing as FW haven't really explored them yet. We do know that the legion was very hard to create and Sanguinius being around made the process easier but it still has a crazy high fail rate as BA undergo mad transformation.

We know that they had a chapter called the "Hell Riders", which is cool.

Just too badass. Reminds me of this: http://battlerattle.marinecorpstimes.com/2012/07/18/motorcycle-borne-marsoc-marines-prey-on-taliban/ 

Pretty much nothing as FW haven't really explored them yet. We do know that the legion was very hard to create and Sanguinius being around made the process easier but it still has a crazy high fail rate as BA undergo mad transformation.

Gotcha. So I haven't really missed anything then. 

Not really. Basically, from what we have they've always been pure awesome, and it only got better with time.

Blood Angels are like a fine Blood Wine. The more time goes by, the better they get.

I was gonna say its made from stomping grapes heads? 

I am really intrigued by what Angelus may show us. Emphasis on show. I feel like FW, Black Library, and GW proper all know how awesome BA are, but aren't quite sure how to show it. I am really hoping that everything BA in 40k post-Matt Ward has been testing the waters and experimenting, leading up to Angelus showing what 30k BA are like, which then leads to a [modern] 40k version that really does them justice and can hold its own in the game. 

Well if the small snippets we got from the last HH book and posters are anything to go by, they've already hit the nail on the head.

By snippets do you mean the Rites of War for 30k and whatnot? And the holdover rules like ENCARMINE FURY?

Also, what posters?

Maybe a new thread to catalog all this stuff?

If traitor legions has showed us anything, it's that GW can still come up with characterful and (most importantly) fun rules for a bunch of legions that were identical rules wise.the main Dex, however, still needs a massive overhaul.

I want to see what they can come up with to bring the BA back into line.

I'm thinking part 3 of the 13th crusade might involve a new chaos codex, part 4 a new BA codex.

Edit: sorry, all massively off topic!

It would be interesting to see what aspects of the BA they explore in the books. The BA have so far been criminally under represented in the BL heresy series.

The route they seem to be approaching is full on, avenging angel, fire and brimstone stuff.

Well if the small snippets we got from the last HH book and posters are anything to go by, they've already hit the nail on the head.

By snippets do you mean the Rites of War for 30k and whatnot? And the holdover rules like ENCARMINE FURY?

Also, what posters?

Maybe a new thread to catalog all this stuff?

There is a thread, here

I know this has been said before but I really don't want the next BA codex to be an early 8th edition release. That would make it one of the first on the ground in the new system and to an extent an experiment for the rules team. The fallout from that is that as they get more familiar with the landscape they are crafting the codex's they put out get better (and in some cases more OP) and we suffer creep.

I'd rather wait a bit more and have a rule set that feels fluffy, is fun, and competitive (not instant win, but genuinely able to claim parity), then rush for a fix which turns out just to be an elongation of the current situation.

But back on point... Im also really looking forward to what FW do for us. The stuff they churned out for the Custodes was great and had a real renaissance feel too. If they can channel and further explore that we could be in for a real treat.

From our 40k codex and the small forge world snippets we've seen the info I have is thus.

Previous name before Sanguinius, Hell Riders

Propensity for highly aggressive, lightning assault tactics.

Our codex spoke of them as fighting alongside the Emperor as his vanguard and exemplifying all it meant to be an Astartes.

From our 40k codex and the small forge world snippets we've seen the info I have is thus.

Our codex spoke of them as fighting alongside the Emperor as his vanguard and exemplifying all it meant to be an Astartes.

He'll riders was just the name of a chapter within the Legion, not the Legion name.

Where's the bit about emperors vanguard, pretty sure the Legion known for specifically fighting alongside the Emperor were the DA

He'll riders was just the name of a chapter within the Legion, not the Legion name.

Where's the bit about emperors vanguard, pretty sure the Legion known for specifically fighting alongside the Emperor were the DA

I do recall the vanguard thing and it's probably just older fluff. The DA will have in the unification wars, but in the stars on crusade it was probably the BA.

I do recall the vanguard thing and it's probably just older fluff. The DA will have in the unification wars, but in the stars on crusade it was probably the BA.

It's why the sanguinary guard wear gold, is it not?

I'll go quote hunting, but I thought we'd (briefly?) had the honour of serving as big E's bodyguard at some point - subsequently being allowed to wear gold similarly to EC getting eagles...

It's straight from our current codex

Yup:

“So it was that the Great Crusade surged onwards as never before. New battlefronts opened up under the Primarchs’ direction and worlds were reclaimed by the thousand. Throughout it all, the Blood Angels and their Primarch, Sanguinius, fought at the Emperor’s side, serving as honour guard to their beloved creator.”

It's straight from our current codex

Yup:

“So it was that the Great Crusade surged onwards as never before. New battlefronts opened up under the Primarchs’ direction and worlds were reclaimed by the thousand. Throughout it all, the Blood Angels and their Primarch, Sanguinius, fought at the Emperor’s side, serving as honour guard to their beloved creator.”

huh, never noticed that, wonder if angelus will cover any of that

To be completely honest, we don't actually know a whole lot about Sanguinius (or many other Primarchs) at the moment. We have snapshots of his time on Baal, rediscovery, the fact that he was a Ullanor (but not what he did there), the joint campaign with Horus against the xenos at the opening of Fear to Tread (forget what it's called), the war on Murder, Signus Prime, Imperium Secondus, and then somehow Siege of Terra.

My point is there are some pretty big gaps between rediscovery and Ullanor, and everything leading up to Murder (or even Signus Prime-ish), so can we definitively state that the IX were or were not doing anything? We're missing the "Luminous Mysteries" parts, if you will.

#isitAngelusyet?

Archived