Branchow's Salimanders WIP: Humble Beginnings

00branchow

Heyo all,

I've been away from the hobby, and this wonderful forum, for way too long now. I've wanted to do a WIP ever since I found out they were a thing, but I didn't have any kind of camera at the time. And if I'm being honest, I was kinda scared. I still am, putting my stuff out there for the world to see. But I've decided to man up and do it. Unfortunately I only have my phones camera at the moment, so I can't take that great of pics right now. I'll worry about that later.

Alright, on to the army. I don't really have a set plan for any of this. I have a 1000pt list put together as a jumping off point, but that's it. I know my marines are going to be Salimanders. I've always liked that they protect the innocents of the Imperium, instead of just firing at everything in front of them as long as there's an enemy in that general direction. Also, fire. All the fire.

I'll post more later, as I've rambled on long enough and I have to get to bed. G'night all.

Cheers,

Branchow

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings and salutations,

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

Thank you for the kind words. :) I didn't know if anyone would read this, much less reply, so you've spurred me to continue.

I have hammer termis on my table at the moment, and I have some pics! But... I have no idea how to post them from my phone. Heh heh...

Up next is a Rhino and the tac squad that'll be riding in it. I'll post the pictures as soon as I figure out how. Oh! And Happy Clearance Candy Eve, for those of you who celebrate it!

Good night all,

Branchow

• 2 months later...

Greetings Brothers!

After a two-year hiatus, my laptop is finally fixed! I can now post pictures! Huzzah! And post I shall!

Here's the sergeant for the second tactical squad of the Salamanders fourth company. Seeing him this close up I noticed the chip on his nose and the fact that i missed the inside of his shoulder pad. I'll need to fix those when I clean him up.

Sargent Closeup

Sargent Take 1

This is one of the marines of squad two. I think I got him pretty well painted, except for a chip on the top of his head, but once again, I'll cover that in cleanup of this stage.

Marine 1 Take 1

Marine 1 Take 2

I chose dark green as a base color on purpose. I was greatly inspired by Stoneheart"s dark, gritty take on the Sallie's color scheme, big thanks to him. Hopefully they don't look TOO Dark Angely. One thing I definitely learned is to NEVER, EVER fully build a model before you paint it. Tearing the guns and backpacks off of these guys gave me a thousand tiny heart attacks. I managed to only lose the serg's backpack, though. Ah well, the follies of youth.

Thanks for looking! C&C are always welcome.

Cheers,

Branchow

Hail!

I am also doing Salamanders, although the ones I do, are for the Horus Heresy. You are off to a very decent start. Keep it up by all means! And yes, putting the boltguns on after the mini has been painted is also a lesson I learnt the hard way when I just got started!

My recipe is a bit lighter than yours:

Armour

Basecoat: Warpstone Glow

Shade: Coelia Greenshade

Overlap shade: Biel-Tan Green

Highlight: Moot Green

Gold

Basecoat: Balthasar Gold

Shade: Agrax Earth Shade

Highlight: Mithril Silver

Lenses

Basecoat: Mephiston Red

1st Highlight: Troll Slayer Orange

2nd Highlight: Yriel Yellow 

Metal

Basecoat: Leadbelcher

Shade: Nuln Oil / Agrax Earth Shade (pending on whether I want "clean" metal or "worn" metal)

Highlight: Ironbreaker

2nd Highlight: Runefang Steel / Mithril Silver

I really look forward to following your work!

Kind regards,

Master Ciaphas

Hello once again brothers!

Not much of an update, but still some progress as I'm learning. I've just finished basing the under-suit, joints, whatever you want to call them. that was a pain in the rear, but by the end I think I got it down. I'm also pretty sure I found my ideal ratio of lahmian medium to paint in order to get it to do what I want. Now for pics.

Here's the biggest pain of the lot, the heavy bolter.

Heavy Bolter Front

Heavy Bolter Back

And then an example of the joints.

Under-suit Example

Well that's all for tonight. Sorry for the slow progress, hopefully things will ramp up as I get my technique and color scheme down. C&C is most certainly welcome.

Cheers,

Branchow

Edit: You'll have to click on the pics. It would seem the system doesn't like lateral pictures from my phone. I'll have to remember that for next time. :biggrin.:

• 1 year later...
Good lawd, its been almost a year since I last posted. College'll do that to you, I guess. Not lot of progress has been made, I'm sad to say. The first tactical squad is done and I began work on their Rhino. That's where I discovered I hate the painting method I've been using. So today I'm starting anew with some test models. I just got these guys sprayed. We'll see how this goes.

Test model group shot

Test model 1

Hey man! Looking forward to seeing more! I too am a slow worker and struggle to find that work/hobby balance haha.

As a recommendation: if you’re having trouble with your painting method, check out the WHTV videos on YouTube. I think I always got stuck when I used to paint because I would make a mistake and get fed up with it. Those videos though stress the importance of taking it easy, and remembering that you can always touch things up after.

Can’t wait to see your final products :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man! Looking forward to seeing more! I too am a slow worker and struggle to find that work/hobby balance haha.

As a recommendation: if you’re having trouble with your painting method, check out the WHTV videos on YouTube. I think I always got stuck when I used to paint because I would make a mistake and get fed up with it. Those videos though stress the importance of taking it easy, and remembering that you can always touch things up after.

Can’t wait to see your final products :)

Thanks man. I enjoy the WHTV videos, but I never thought to watch them while painting. I'll have to give that a try. Hoplefully I'll have something worthwhile to show in a week or two.

Cheers,

Branchow

• 1 month later...

Progress! Huzzah! I've blocked in most of the colors on these guys and practiced edge highlighting on this Intercessor.

Intercessor 1 Front

Intercessor 1 Right

Intercessor 1 Back

Intercessor 1 Left

I then realized I needed to put texture on the bases, so I'm trying out GW's Astrogranite Debris. I'm gonna have to drybrush it and repaint their toes, but as I've stated before, this is all a learning process for me.:teehee:

Intercessor 2

Here's one of my first guys that I mentioned earlier. It doesn't really show up in the pics, but the wash is really splochy.

Flamer Tac Marine

As a side note, I've seen other topics change their titles from time to time as they update. I'm not quite sure how to do that, so if someone was gracious enough to tell me how or point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.

Comments and questions are welcome.

Cheers,
Branchow

Archived