My Skitarii project

tvih

Ended up starting yet another faction in the skitarii at the turn of the year despite the folly of it, though only now getting more into actually assembling the models - which, for now, means the Start Collecting box. I'm not sure if it'll grow larger. The Onagers look nice and have that nice rule for when using more than one. I'd sure like some more special weapons, but alas buying more sets means more regular dudes too. I wish they'd included at least two of each caliver/arc rifle/sniper :( Not sure if I have use for even one Dominus though, never mind more - making another SC box less appealing (though still a better option than buying Onagers or Rangers/Vanguards separately). Still, at least this kit is easy to magnetize for use as both Vanguards and Rangers, as compared to my other recent assembly project of AM Scions (which kinda halted after one evening because of the difficulty of magnetizing).

The rest of the Skitarii range doesn't seem that interesting, but I noticed that the Skitarii Maniple includes a fortification slot which is very nice, as if I'm using something other than a CAD for my primary detachment I won't have one otherwise, and in the Maniple the unit tax isn't bad at all! And I just assembled/painted myself an Imperial Bunker with other fortifications in the pipeline, so that slot is nice to have.

No Skitarii pics yet as pre-painting pics aren't exactly much to look at, but I'm hoping to have the assemblies done today, with at least the first test miniature painted in the next couple of days, assuming I have viable paints handy.

The lack of specials in the box is for sure dissapointing. But once you have three boxes you're more or less set.

You won't need more than one unit of Vanguard with plasma, as the cost is so high so other units you'll probably keep cheap with their normal guns being so good.

Rangers work well with Arc or the other one (Aquebus?).

Well, three sets would give three the maximum benefit for Onagers and three 10-man squads with each having 3 specials... I usually tend to run smaller squads, but I suppose the skitarii with their lack of metal bawkses would benefit from some buffer bodies at least for the non-arquebus squads. Although I think I may offer them a ride in a Rhino or such on occasion. At any rate I'm not sure when I can afford more, or if it even makes sense given the insane number of other models I have waiting to be worked on.

Funnily enough... once I get some new paints I have the Custodes and Sisters of Silence waiting in the pipeline, having prepared them for painting last week. I was thinking of making a total hodgepodge list for my next game (we play non-competitively) - like, Custodes, SoS, BT, SoB, AM and Skitarii + maybe throw in an Inquisitor, all in the same list (basically, Castellans of the Imperium + Skitarii Maniple formations) ;) Of course this requires painting at least 20 models, but dunno when my next game is gonna be anyway.

Damnit, one misclick and my longer reply is gone... but yes, I don't think anyone dislikes plasma calivers or arc rifles, except maybe when facing them :P I don't know anyone who plays Skitarii for that matter.

Basecoated the test fig, though I do need some paints so won't have a fully ready miniature until I buy 'em on Thursday.

Archived