Scalable SW based on the show Vikings

Jackalwolf

First the fluff, here are the units I intend to collect for the army. I will prioritise the units that will make my initial lists but I intend to get all this plus a plastic Thunderhawk (Sleipnir) if it is ever released:

Leaders:

Ragnar Lothbrok (Lord Bulveye / Geigor Fell-Hand)

Rollo Lothbrok (Hvarl Red-Blade)

Floki (Caster of Runes)

Harbard (Speaker of the Dead)

Athelstan (Speaker of the Dead)

Ivar the Boneless (Iron Priest to be used as Forge Lord or Siege Breaker)

The Seer (Navigator)

Leman Russ

Units:

Hunters of Kattegat (10 Veteran Space Marines), led by Huscarl Arne Bale-Eye and including Kauko, Leif, Knut, Torstein, Erik, Tostig

Raiders of Hedeby (10 Veteran Space Marines), led by Huscarl Kalf and including Einar and Siegfried

Kingslayers (5 Varagyr / Command Squad), led by Thegn Borg and including Earl Haraldson and Earl Horik

The Bloodied Claws (15 Grey Slayers), led by Bjorn Ironside and including Ubbe, Sigurd, Hvitserk and Guthrum

Gugnir (Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought

Mechanised Support:

The Longboat (Mastodon)

Shieldmaiden (Spartan Assault Tank)

Ragnarok (Whirlwind Scorpius)

Valkyrja (Storm Eagle)

Huggin (Damocles Command Rhino)

Muninn (Land Raider Armored Proteus)

Tears of Yggdrasil (any Drop Pods I add)

The lists:

Rite of War: The Pale Hunter

Ragnar Lothbrok (Geigor Fell-Hand) 135

Floki (Caster of Runes): Artificer armour 115

Rollo Lothbrok (Hvarl Red-Blade) 210

Hunters of Kattegat (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Power weapon); Weaponmasters; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 6 × Power weapon; Legion vexilla 250

Raiders of Hedeby (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Power weapon); Weaponmasters; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 7 × Combi-weapon; 2 × Power weapon; Legion vexilla 280

Kingslayers (5 Varagyr Terminators): 5 × Second Frost blade (axe, claw or sword); 3 × Power fist; 2 × Chainfist 305

15 Grey Slayers: Huscarl (Artificer armour; Bolt pistol; Power weapon; Combat shield; Melta bombs); 14 Grey Slayers; 4 × Power weapon; 10 × Bolter; 4 × Combat shield; Frag and krak grenades; Legion vexilla 260

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: Two twin-linked lascannons 185

Legion Spartan Assault Tank 305

Leman Russ 455

Force Organisation Chart: Onslaught

Ragnar Lothbrok (Geigor Fell-Hand) 135

Rollo Lothbrok (Hvarl Red-Blade) 210

Floki (Caster of Runes): Artificer armour 115

Hunters of Kattegat (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Power weapon); Weaponmasters; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 6 × Power weapon 240

Raiders of Hedeby (10 Veteran Space Marines): Veteran Sergeant (Artificer armour; Combi-weapon; Power weapon); Warrior's Mettle; 9 Veteran Space Marines; 7 × Combi-weapon; 2 × Power weapon 280

Kingslayers (5 Varagyr Terminators): 5 × Second Frost blade (axe, claw or sword); 3 × Power fist; 2 × Chainfist 305

The Bloodied Claws (15 Grey Slayers): Huscarl (Artificer armour; Bolt pistol; Power weapon; Combat shield; Melta bombs); 14 Grey Slayers; 4 × Power weapon; 10 × Bolter; 4 × Combat shield; Legion vexilla 260

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: Two twin-linked lascannons 185

Legion Whirlwind Scorpius 115

Leman Russ 455

The Longboat (Legion Mastodon Heavy Assault Transport) 700

So the questions:

I like my armies to be a bit of do it all forces, able to deal with any threat as long as they're played well and the tactic is sound. That's to say I hate paper scissors situations in which an army is auto-win against a and terrible against b.

Do you guys feel it's well balanced and can take care of most situations in both iterations?

What do you think I'm lacking / will make me suffer the most.

I want to be able to play to mission with sound board control and to be aggressive and go to kill all units too, is that achieved?

Since I'm a slow painter, being able to use all the units of lower points list in the higher ones is very important to me. In this case the only unit in the 2,500 list not present in the 3,000 is the Spartan. I guess I could just put it back in for 3,500 list along with some Deathsworn when it's time to do it but can anyone think of a better way of making my 2,500 army that doesn't have any units not used in 3,000?

Almosy finally, I like to be able to field all units that have Legion specific models since they're awesome. I feel I'm doing pretty well there since the vets will be mkiii with all the FW upgrade torsos and shoulder pads, and the grey slayers, Varagyr and contemptor will be well, the Rout specific ones :)

And finally, and this is a question for any other fan of the show Vikings, do you feel there are any other characters that I could add for Kattegat or Hedeby? The named characters from the show will be the models in my army with it helmet and will have sculpted heads to match as much as I can the actors of the show (see sample pictures of Ragnar, Rollo, Floki and the Hunters of Kattegat). Who should be the huscarl of the Hunters? I like Arne but Torstein is a serious contender (I'll model him with a missing arm btw). Also, which other characters that are kids in the show can I add for the Bloodied Claws?

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/Bulveye_zps4gltohyr.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/26992FEE-A620-4B49-B20C-173F82A63F54_zps2acjvetv.jpg

I'm redoing Tostig and Erik since their hairs were a bit rushed and I'm not happy with them but from top left to bottom right: Kauko, Leif, Arne Bale-eye, Knut, Torstein, Erik, Lord Bulveye, Floki, Rollo, Tostig

Thank you so much Vastopol! At times it becomes a bit of a pain, but I'm really happy with the results too. With some characters I really have problems, like Bjorn: He appears with so many different looks, beard and hairstyles that I really can't settle on one particular "iconic" one to represent!

Archived