2500 pt Word Bearers - LotSS

The Black Tyrant

Hey all, a healthy 30K community has been forming in my area and decided to jump into it. Going with my old legion, the Word Bearers, from back when I played 40k in 3rd Ed. So without further ado, here is my list:

Last of the Serrated Sun: 2500 pts

HQ:

Zardu Layak - 175 pts (rides with 9 man support squad)

Legion Chaplin - 155 pts (rides with 8 man vet squad)

Artificer Armor, Burning Lore, Melta Bomb, Refractor Field, Tainted Weapon

Elites:

Apothecarion Detachment - 55 pts (rides with 8 man vet squad)

Artificer Armor

Veteran Tactical Squad (10 man) - 340 pts

Combi-Flamer x 7, Heavy Bolter X 2, Marksman

Sgt: Artificer Armor, Combi-Melta, Power Fist

Legion Drop Pod

Veteran Tactical Squad (8 man)

Power Sword X 6, Pair Lightening Claws, Dark Channeling, Weaponmasters

Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Troops:

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethern (5 man) - 350 pts

Power Maul

Dark Martyr: Artificer Armor, Power Fist

Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Power Maul

Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Tactical Support Squad (9 man) - 243 pts

Volkite Charger X 8, Combat Blades

Sgt: Artificer Armor, Melta Bomb, Power Fist

Legion Drop Pod

Tactical Support Squad (10 man) - 255 pts

Volkite Charger X 9, Combat Blades

Legion Drop Pod

Heavy:

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought - 185 pts

Autocannon Battery

The Deredeo is there so I have a unit on the board at the start of the game so I don't auto-lose.

Realize I'm a little lite on anti-tank, but that is what the combi-meltas and grenades are for. In a pinch the Dark Martyr can also try to punch stuff. Plan is for the support squads and 10 man vets to drop first and take out the units that could threaten the Gal Vorbak at range. Following turn drop the Gal Vorback and CC vets to clean up everything else. Any comments or recommendations?

Zardu Layak already gives Zealot, I'd save points and downgrade the Chaplain to a Centurion, and put them both into the veteran squad. He won't benefit from the apothecary, but that's no big deal.

I'd change some of those power swords to power axes on the combat veterans.

List is okay, but it totally lacks the ability to kill a vehicle at range. Your only real hope is a lucky melta bomb hit, or a Dark Martyr rocking a vehicle with a S10 fist, which isn't ideal at all. Either way, drop in and they're in tanks = you can't do anything, a solitary Deredeo won't cut it, which could easily be taken out on the first turn anyway. Pick up a machine killers veteran squad and you'll be right. Tons of anti-infantry, but no AV. If there's a super heavy, you simply aren't going to be able to kill it.

Hey all, a healthy 30K community has been forming in my area and decided to jump into it. Going with my old legion, the Word Bearers, from back when I played 40k in 3rd Ed. So without further ado, here is my list:

Last of the Serrated Sun: 2500 pts

HQ:

Zardu Layak - 175 pts (rides with 9 man support squad)

Legion Chaplin - 155 pts (rides with 8 man vet squad)

Artificer Armor, Burning Lore, Melta Bomb, Refractor Field, Tainted Weapon

Elites:

Apothecarion Detachment - 55 pts (rides with 8 man vet squad)

Artificer Armor

Veteran Tactical Squad (10 man) - 340 pts

Combi-Flamer x 7, Heavy Bolter X 2, Marksman

Legion Drop Pod

Veteran Tactical Squad (8 man)

Power Sword X 6, Pair Lightening Claws, Dark Channeling, Weaponmasters

Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Troops:

Power Maul

Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Power Maul

Dreadclaw Drop Pod

Tactical Support Squad (9 man) - 243 pts

Volkite Charger X 8, Combat Blades

Legion Drop Pod

Tactical Support Squad (10 man) - 255 pts

Volkite Charger X 9, Combat Blades

Legion Drop Pod

Heavy:

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought - 185 pts

Autocannon Battery

The Deredeo is there so I have a unit on the board at the start of the game so I don't auto-lose.

Realize I'm a little lite on anti-tank, but that is what the combi-meltas and grenades are for. In a pinch the Dark Martyr can also try to punch stuff. Plan is for the support squads and 10 man vets to drop first and take out the units that could threaten the Gal Vorbak at range. Following turn drop the Gal Vorback and CC vets to clean up everything else. Any comments or recommendations?

Your Support squad pricing seems off, seems too low overall (And not sure how there can only be a 12pt difference when 1 squad has 1 less marine, and everything else is the same.

Zardu Layak already gives Zealot, I'd save points and downgrade the Chaplain to a Centurion, and put them both into the veteran squad. He won't benefit from the apothecary, but that's no big deal.

I'd change some of those power swords to power axes on the combat veterans.

List is okay, but it totally lacks the ability to kill a vehicle at range. Your only real hope is a lucky melta bomb hit, or a Dark Martyr rocking a vehicle with a S10 fist, which isn't ideal at all. Either way, drop in and they're in tanks = you can't do anything, a solitary Deredeo won't cut it, which could easily be taken out on the first turn anyway. Pick up a machine killers veteran squad and you'll be right. Tons of anti-infantry, but no AV. If there's a super heavy, you simply aren't going to be able to kill it.

My concern is Zardu is a bit fragile and wanted to use him more in a support role with his psychic abilities. Wanted to avoid him getting punched in the face with an electric boxing glove.

Don't have a problem re-jigging the power weapons. Figured they were going to be changed a bit as I start playing with the squad.

Agree with the lack for anti-vehicle. Flexible with replacing the Deredeo. It's just there to have a first turn unit to avoid the auto-lose. Fitting in another vet squad might get tight. Can replace one of the support squads with a vet squad. Would make them more of a threat when they come down. What would you recommend they be armed with? Combi-melta or plasma or a mix of both?

Your Support squad pricing seems off, seems too low overall (And not sure how there can only be a 12pt difference when 1 squad has 1 less marine, and everything else is the same.

Double checked and didn't add the melta bomb to the larger squad. That accounts for the difference.

Maybe you should drop one GV squad to get some av units like some mortars and a venator which should help you a lot to negate the possible superheavies. As some others said before me you will struggle a lot to get a LOW down but a venator can be quite handy amd will also give you some field presence first turn.

Plus you don't need 6 pods, IMO it's either 5 or 7 to get a good alpha strike. With 6 you'll have to rely too much on reserve rolls amd you don't have any Damocles' or scrier's gaze to manipulate these Rolls.

I think the main strength of this rite is the ability to get a good mobility with pods and a strong gut line with no limitations on tanks, dreads or rapiers unlike orbital assault. The gv as troops is nice but at 2500 it's hard to get a lot of them if you want a balanced list.

Archived