My Iron Tenth Legion, new WIP blog

Hey there,

So been involved in 40k since I was like, 12, so like, 8 years now. After playing it on and off and never seriously, I never really got into painting or the like. Being young I always skipped armies over and over until recently I got back to it properly. I decided to go with 30k Iron Hands, I love the slow implacable advance combined with big ass tanks and so on. 

Anyway, this is the first time I've seriously enjoyed painting my models up, I have a 3k list ready and soon will be playing a match. I want to get most of the army painted for it (my aim is all of it) and this game will be in a month or so. Honestly my paint scheme is pretty easy, however I really want constructive criticism on painting, it's really important that I aim to improve. I can do about a squad a night and it doesn't seem to take much time, but I've only got 10 more mk3 marines to work on before I have to move on to gorgons and tanks...

I'm dreading moving on to tanks, I'm going to need serious advice on how to get my colour scheme to work well on land raiders and so on.. So yeah.. Here's some pictures of everything!

http://imgur.com/a/0BNtA

Some generic army shots, I got a lot of bases to do but I will get round to it when I can afford stuff for them, any tips on how to do them?

OK and here's some better pictures of the painting:

http://imgur.com/a/KDwNt

I know the skin isn't done on the sergeant yet. Can someone give constructive criticism on the painting please? I feel the paint doesn't look so smooth on them pictures but my next 10 marines (pictures of them not there yet) I did a bit slower and watered down the paint a bit more and they look a bit smoother I think? Anyway, I've got to get 3k points ready and here's where I will track my progress. I hope at least someone is interested in following!

(But please, constructive criticism would be absolutely perfect - also sorry the pictures aren't great, trying to work on getting some better lighting for the next ones.)

Edit: Some better pictures of the second squad!

http://imgur.com/a/UxUEb

Yeah just saw that from the picture, don't know how I missed that little bit of the bolter when painting them! 

I'm glad you like them Benji!

I've got a land raider Achilles (the one with the thunderfire cannon front), I was wondering if that's usable as the land raider with the quad mortar in 30k? If so this gives me 3 land raiders to play around with in my 3k list, a spartan phobos and the quad mortar one, this should be fun!!

Tomorrow I've got 5 Gorgons and Autek Mor to work on, going to be a long day!

Hey there, they're fairly easy to paint:

1. Undercoat black

2. Basecoat of ironbreaker (mixed with a medium so it's a bit thinner)

3. Agrax earthshade quite a bit all over.

4. Green wash, lightly, use your thumb or anything to kind of drag it over the shoulder pads etc, quite subtle might not be able to see this too well in the pictures.

5. Any trims etc do them in runefang silver, its quite contrasting, looks nice imo.

6. Nuln oil all over, this really brings down the contrast of the runefang and the rest of the armour but I've had a few people say they like it before I add the nuln oil with the contrast, I'm unsure as of yet to be honest.

It's really quick and to be honest I could probably do with adding more detail or neatening them up but it's definitely tabletop standard, I love the colour scheme for sure.

This is meant to be a WIP thread so here's some upcoming stuff for soon . I'm really looking forwards to getting this sorted, first we have the Land Raider Achilles, I love this model!

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p395/dougan22/20170228_183412_zpsj4kxihra.jpg

Then, yes I'm aware this picture is terrible but another unit here to be done, 5 gorgons with the Iron Father! Possibly will be used as Autek Mor, not really sure as of yet!

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p395/dougan22/20170228_183419_zpsqc7yx2ma.jpg

I have a lot to work on to get 3k points painted, I've never even painted a tank before so I hope you lot stick with me cause I'm going to need the motivation. No clue where to even start on my land raiders, how do I paint them to fit in with everyone else? :\

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there! Long time no update, it's not too much but it's a big deal that's for sure, here's what I've got going on, with a 3k point game on Friday!

20170315_144011.jpg

20170314_213110.jpg

I was trying to learn how to do rust effects, nowhere near finished but I kinda like it!

20170313_235600.jpg

In progress and almost made! Needs some work doing and I'm waiting for some magnets to arrive for the sponsons!

Anyway, I know nobody will probably follow this but I'm looking forwards to getting the 3k point army together! All my marines are painted at least, just got to work on termies and tanks! I'm not really sure how to do the tanks in line with my other colours yet though. :S

Archived