2,500 Ironwing

Cloud Runner

Hi guys,

Putting together a first proper list using a DA protocol and I'd appreciate some feedback.

This is using models that I have built (or can build very quickly) so not really looking outside at other huge ideas - typically only get 2-3 hours hobby time a week sad.png

There's two lists I'm considering, and main feedback I need is whether to go with the seekers, or vet squad 3

Delegatus - master crafted Calibanite warblade, refractor field

Damocles command rhino

Tactical squad - powerfist, rhino

Tactical squad - Calibanite warblade, rhino

Tactical support - 10 man, volkite chargers, Calibanite warblade, rhino

Tactical support - 7 man, rotor cannons, Calibanite warblade, rhino

Contemptor - 2 x twin volkite, extra armour

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, 2 x flamer, rhino - Marksmen

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, 4 x combi-melta, rhino - Marksmen

Seekers - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, rhino

Vindicator squadron - 3 tanks, laser destroyers, command tank

Whirlwind Scorpius

Deredo - anvilus autocannons & aiolos missile battery

Delegatus - master crafted Calibanite warblade, refractor field, melta bombs

Damocles command rhino

Tactical squad - powerfist, nuncio vox, rhino

Tactical squad - Calibanite warblade, nuncio vox, rhino

Tactical support - 7 man, rotor cannons, Calibanite warblade, rhino

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, 2 x flamer, nuncio vox, rhino, - Marksmen

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, 4 x combi-melta, nuncio vox, rhino - Marksmen

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, flamer, heavy bolter with acid rounds, nuncio vox, rhino - Marksmen

Whirlwind Scorpius

I think the second list is more flexible and makes better use of combined arms, plus I can re-purpose the seekers to being a tactical squad (less building!)

Thanks in advance

EDIT - formatting

I like the second list better. Consider swapping the Delegatus's warblade for a greatsword. I can certainly appreciate having limited hobby time per week - I'd suggest spending it painting up another veteran with heavy bolter. When you have it, you can find the points from the extra armor, or maybe dropping 1-2 nuncio voxes.

How have the Ironwing rotor cannons performed for you? I've been intrigued by the idea, but it still seems like more of a fluffy choice instead of being an efficient use of the protocol.

Funny you should ask, I've got my first game with them in Saturday! 

Going against an orbital assault World Eaters army, so I expect it to be messy!! 

I'll let you know how they fare.

I thought about the greatsword, but decided against for 2 reasons. 

1. Points 

2. Probably gonna hide him further away from the fighting!

Thanks for the feedback 

So I was able to play on Saturday (real life commitments for both of us) and have rescheduled for this weekend.

Went back and checked my list and found that I'd failed to include the points of the second tactical squad teehee.gif meaning I'm gonna have to drop the rotor cannon squad - shame, as they benefit from the protocol and I really anted to see what that many shots could do.

Or do I drop out a different unite (Volkites?) to keep the rotors in?

Here's the current revised list

Delegatus - master crafted terranic greatsword, refractor field, artificier armour

Damocles command rhino

Tactical squad - 10 man, powerfist, nuncio vox, rhino

Tactical squad - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, nuncio vox, rhino

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, 2 x flamer, nuncio vox, rhino, - Marksmen

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, 4 x combi-melta, nuncio vox, rhino - Marksmen

Veterans - 10 man, Calibanite warblade, flamer, heavy bolter with acid rounds, nuncio vox, rhino - Marksmen

Whirlwind Scorpius

How does that look?

Also, do we have a clear indication from FW how tank units and the offsetting works? I have worked on the basis that the 3 vindicators count as a single unit, and therefore nullify one other choice in the list.

I have emailed them last week, but no reply as of yet sad.png

Normally a volkite suad verses a rotor cannon suad would be an easy decision, but in an ironwing list taking volkite doesn't really seem worth it to me. All your bolters are essentially volkites without defelgrate anyway, so why take the support suad. Rotor cannons on the other hand sounds like it's at least worth a try. 

Couple small things I think you should change. First, why all the nuncio voxes? You have no deep striking units, and no artillery, so they are all useless.  Replace them all with vexillas which will actually be useful for you. Also I wouldn't mix weapons in your veteran units, stick to two acid rounds heavy bolters in one unit, and flamers in the other. Also I'd take the weapons of your tactical sergeants, fairly useless since those suads will die to any unit that assault them. Take artificer armor instead. 

Overall I think you could use more tanks in the list, the veterans all are really good in ironwing so I suppose that's not the end of the world. Also one thing to consider, seekers are really good in ironwing. Their s3 blast ammo essentially becomes s4 which is deadly for a full unit rapid firing 20 blasts, I might consider adding seekers back in. 

I also assume squadrons count as a single unit for offsetting purposes. I'm being selfish, but I say take the Rotor Cannons! I want to hear how they perform for you. Last time I ran the math on them, they were still unremarkable, but at least weren't a trap choice anymore. Otherwise, have fun!

I also assume squadrons count as a single unit for offsetting purposes. I'm being selfish, but I say take the Rotor Cannons! I want to hear how they perform for you. Last time I ran the math on them, they were still unremarkable, but at least weren't a trap choice anymore. Otherwise, have fun!

I think they are honestly a trap without the Thousand Sons asphyx shells.

They simply just do unremarkable amounts of damage. Even vs hordes deflagate from volkite kills more.

Also volkite can glance light armour in a pinch which just puts them miles ahead in flexibility.

So I took various things on board from the abve, and modded the list as follows:

included rotor cannons and not volkites

Dropped the nuncios

Switched the combi-melta vets into seekers

Feedback as follows:

The rotors have the potential to unleash a lot of firepower, but they were targeted fairly early on, and didn't have much impact in the game - they made a nice road bump at least teehee.gif

Seekers - not convinced with these - I did try the rapid fire blasts, but sadly they didn't drop a single marine - however, the melta's did manage to snipe out the World Eaters apothecary character from the command squad, so not all bad.

Oh, and they managed to finish off a contemptor cortus with the heavy rounds - snapshooting because of moving, and needing that 1 glance, but they did it!

The lack of nuncio's was felt and I will be adding at least a couple back in - the scorpius did fairly well, but could have been better used if it could have been more reliable at areas it couldn't see. The same is true for the orbital strike.

Overall a great game, and the deredeo was amazing - apart from failing to kick a guy to death for 4 rounds of combat!!!

Archived