Dante by Guy Haley

So far I like it. He did what I considered one of the biggest challenges in doing a Blood Angel story from the ground up, and that is get human life on Baal Secondus right! Mission achieved!

Not giving out any spoilers but I will say this, Baal Secondus has a "Sell Town". When I first saw it I immediately thought of Barter Town from the Mad Max/Road Warrior movies. ROFL

I've been a fan of Guy Haley's works leading up to his authorship of the Horus Heresy novel Praetorian of Dorn. I've enjoyed his short stories and audio dramas. I always thought he was one of the low flying authors of Black Library that were up and coming. So far so good on Dante IMO.

I'm less than half way through it but it's so, so good.

After the disappointments (for me, anyway!) of previous Blood Angels novels, this is everything I never knew I wanted.

I have Monday off work. It's time to try painting red again.

I don't mean to whine but its about time someone starts doing our chapter right by Black Library material. Fear to Tread, while not bad, did not, in my opinion, do us proper justice. It made Sanguinius seem too naive for one. The only good BA material prior to Zephon in Master of Mankind, was the Space Hulk novel Sin of Damnation (very dry though), the novella Sanguis Irae, most of the assortment of Blood Angel short stories (especially Honours), and that is about it sadly. Lemartes was good in that it did the esteemed chaplain and his death company well, but I wasn't a fan of how it treated Castigon and the 4th.

I could ramble on, but yes Dante so far is a pleasant surprise, and it sounds like the latest Mephiston novel is good too! The latter is the next one I will get.

/thankful

Just finished the book. Can confirm it is well worth the read. I've been quite happy with how the Blood Angels have been portrayed in both Dante and Mephiston's books. I read both of them in one sitting, counldn't put them down.

By the Blood of Sanguinius! Sanguinius' vision as written on the scrolls! :-O

What happened after was quite sad also. Maybe if it happened a few more times though...

Maybe Dante could actually be fully revitalised and instead of simply buying a few more seconds, he could win?

So at one point, Dante gets angry when the angels vermillion are mentioned. According to the wikis, they're secretive, but what exactly is Dante made angry? Or is it intentionally vague?

A BA chaplain apparently finds something in their fortress monastery that enrages Dante and he won't speak of them. Although one of the captains is petitioning for their forgiveness.

I haven't read the book yet (I'm waiting for the french translation ... I don't really mind reading it in english but I like having my collection in the same language :')). I'm curious though : a lot of the BL fluff is not considered canon as far as I know, is it different for this book ? (and mephiston's ?) 

I haven't read the book yet (I'm waiting for the french translation ... I don't really mind reading it in english but I like having my collection in the same language :')). I'm curious though : a lot of the BL fluff is not considered canon as far as I know, is it different for this book ? (and mephiston's ?) 

"Mon pauvre compatriote", I think that it will be ice age before Black Library make the traductions of Dante (and Mephiston)^^.

Also, since the whole Warhammer Lore have been created by English people, it only make more sense to read Fluff part in English. Plus, it is always a good opportunity to maintain/up your english fluency level. (Reading a text in another language is egal to reading this text twice, for you not only read, but traduct and because of this analyse/remember more closely the informations.)

(But i still hate that they didn't fully translate our 7th ed. codex (like the 5th that was fully translated), a Sanguinary Priest is a "Prêtre Sanguinien" ! ^^).

It would be a waste not to read those two new Blood Angels novels, for they really extend our background from level 2-3 to level 8-9. (Personally, i'm waiting to have my copies of the books, though, i will have to wait a few weeks before this happen^^.)

So at one point, Dante gets angry when the angels vermillion are mentioned. According to the wikis, they're secretive, but what exactly is Dante made angry? Or is it intentionally vague?

A BA chaplain apparently finds something in their fortress monastery that enrages Dante and he won't speak of them. Although one of the captains is petitioning for their forgiveness.

I'm willing to bet it has something to do with their thirst for blood, that was very uncouth.

Edited by Helias Tancred