Minor question re: Lotara Sarrin

bluntblade

What is a british way to pronounce lieutanent? Leftanent?

I'm British and I don't even know. XD I assume that's it, from funny subtitles I've seen before.

Supposedly the word is French and because they have French accents, the British thought the word was pronounced "leftenant" rather than "lieutenant", although the spelling was the same. Americans are actually the weird English-speaking country for pronouncing it "lieutenant" while supposedly "most English-speaking countries still say 'leftenant'". I say supposedly because I know more than a few Canadians, and British, even an Irish, and my Welsh grandparents(with my grandfather even being in the Royal Air Force) and the few of them I have heard say "lieutenant" definitely say "lieutenant". In fact, the only time I see "leftenant" is either in fiction that takes place in the colonial era of sailing in stories about the British Navy, or in scifi that is emulating that era.

So my guess would be that it is something that used to be done, and that Lotarra being a prim and proper naval officer is an emulation of that colonial era "Gentlelady Sailor Captain".

The UK in 40k is a collection of steampunk tribes, not a developed civilization with hive cities.

Lotarra is a 30K character not a 40K character. In 30K, I think "Albia" or "Old Albia" with its towering cities, clans, and "armoured ironsides" soldiers is intended to be in the UK's geographic location.

Albia was pretty sophisticated and powerful - able to take on the Emperor's Thunder Warriors - he offered Albia a peace treaty rather than forced them to surrender.

I thought Albia was a little different.

For what it's worth, Garro is from Albyon, and has a distinctly aristocratic appearance and bearing.

Garro was from Albia when referenced in Flight iirc

Most references seem to direct Albia to being the UK, with the styles of weapons the legions use, the manner of the legions and even down to the legionary names. For example Nathaniel and Shadrak Smyth who then went on to become Meduson. Even the high amount of Castles seems to point the UK's way.

I'd hazard a guess that she is voidborn but from a respectable family.

I know that rejuvenating treatments are available but I don't know how a terran born would end up on the Conqueror 200 years in to the great crusade.

Cheers

Vogon

The UK in 40k is a collection of steampunk tribes, not a developed civilization with hive cities.

Lotarra is a 30K character not a 40K character. In 30K, I think "Albia" or "Old Albia" with its towering cities, clans, and "armoured ironsides" soldiers is intended to be in the UK's geographic location.

Albia was pretty sophisticated and powerful - able to take on the Emperor's Thunder Warriors - he offered Albia a peace treaty rather than forced them to surrender.

I'm aware, I mean 40k as the general umbrella. Regardless, Albia is more techno-barbarian than cyberpunk hive dweller, hence being a prime recruitment source for two or three Legions. Received Pronunciation is typically used to represent hive dwellers and upper class in the lore, not the techno-barbarians.

What is a british way to pronounce lieutanent? Leftanent?

Yes. Just watch Master and Commander.

I've heard a lieutenant-something in the British Navy use the "left".

Ive heard the British pronunciation and french pronunciation of the world have their roots in which side of the Napoleonic Wars a country was aligned with. Hence the American use of 'lieu' and the British use of 'left'. During the Civil War both sides of the conflict modeled themselves on Napoleon's armies, to the point General Longstreet had actually petitioned the US Gov't prior to the outbreak of the war to consider adopting an organization more in line with Frederick the Great's Prussian model because it fit the character of the dispersed US population at the time and many settlers in the Midwest were either trained in the Prussian system or their fathers were. Entire regiments from Wisconsin/Minnesota spoke English as a second language.

• 2 weeks later...

In relation to the topic of 'Albyon' vs 'Albia'

Albion is the old greek name for the island of Great Britain.

Alba is the old Gàidhlig (Scots-Gaelic) name for Scotland.

Seems likely a connection to me.

Archived