The Ashen Legion - A custom chaos warband

SquidSempai

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I've recently jumped back into warham40k and wanted to show-off a bit of my models and get critique/opinions on the paintjob.

I'm was in the process of repainting my whole army when Traitor Legions dropped and so now i'm doubly inspired to make my own warband that splintered from a legion after the War in the Maelstrom.

My first batch of model his all almost done, except for a few touch up here and there and bases for most of them. But as I plan to slowly expend the forces i'll add more WIP pics.

gallery_97302_13011_42924.jpg
The first sorcerer of the Ashen Legion, Karak Vaheel, and his loyal spawn. The spawn was once Karak's mentor, but after he received a grievous injury during a battle against a host of Eldar, Karak tried to save his life using sorcery, but his master couldn't handle the influx of power and, over the course of several week, mutated into his final form.

He was, of course, converted from a Deathwing terminator set, some filing and greenstuff to hide all the Dark Angels gubbins and a nice coat of paint to hide his dark secret.

gallery_97302_13011_12658.jpg

Ssaj is the first captain of the Ashen Legion. He wield a relic arcanotech flamethrower capable of melting ever power armour in seconds. But where he used to be a calm and level-headed commander of troop, he now lose himself more and more into a killing fury whenever he steps on the battlefield.

This guy was heavily converted from a mix of raptors part, possessed and dark vengeance chosen. I really like his look, though I tend to find his painting a bit lacking when compared to newer models that I made. Maybe someday i'll decide to give his a new fresh suit tongue.png

gallery_97302_13011_107509.jpg

gallery_97302_13011_68395.jpg

As of yet unnamed first marines squad. They are basically just reposed raptor with some helmet swap. I really liked the raptor kit but wasn't too fond of the new jump pack, but the aestethic is perfect for chaos space marine. Hopefully they'll make a new standard CSM kit in the same style so I wont have to buy and butcher another set of those guys.

gallery_97302_13011_76032.jpg

They also recently got their shiny new transport. It's an old rhino I got for cheap from a friend who used to play wh40k. It was kinda weirdly built with lots of bits glued to it everywhere but I think I managed to do something good with it.

gallery_97302_13011_46670.jpg

And finally the squad of raptors. I really dig these guys, and I think that that old raptors jump pack look really perfect with the new kit from DV and new-raptors. I gave them black helmet and shoulder pads to represent that even though they are part of the same warband, they are basically their own cult and only hunt with their own pack.

Thanks everyone for the kind word, they really do encourage to work even more on all my stuff, even though i'm trying to not go overboard with new thing when 8th edition might just be around the corner lol.

I did a lot of work on my small termicide squad. Just need to finish the bases as always, they're what's giving me the most trouble. I wanted to go for muddy-snow bases and i've seen lots of tutorials around the web that showcase some really nice example but I still have trouble doing the same.

gallery_97302_13011_121297.jpg

These are the warriors of the Gheist Fangs. They are the warriors who have been sent on suicidal mission that we're critical to the movement of the warband as a whole, yet had very few chance to come back alive. Time and time they we're sent back into deseperate warzone and came back alive, and so they have earned the right to keep suits of terminator armour plundered from defeated imperial forces. Because of the nature of their missions, they place a great deal of importance upon their equipement, and so they try to minimize mutations as much as possible among their group.

gallery_97302_13011_34909.jpg

gallery_97302_13011_99081.jpg

I've also did some work on a conversion for a rapier gun! I'm either using it as a conversion beamer for csm, or in pack of 3 as rapier laser destroyer for my R&H allies. They are probably the best all around heavy support the csm codex has right now and they are usually worth their points 2 times over.

Back for another update, I took some time to (slowly) work a bit on some cultist! I really want more of those guys they're really cool to paint and more cultist is always usefull on the battlefield! They're all a little converted, either by swapping part with other cultist, cadian bits or even some nids pieces.

gallery_97302_13011_63283.jpg

gallery_97302_13011_93559.jpg

and last picture to see the cultist leader (in blue!) menacingly pointing where the rest of the squad need to go to die! tongue.png

gallery_97302_13011_18925.jpg

I never mentioned it but as always C&C is fully encouraged! Can't get better without critique!
(and sorry for double posting)

Archived