Shadow War: Praetorians

Captain Titus

Hey guys! As you may know, I have a serious problem with starting projects and never finishing them (I promise I won't give up on my regular guard and I'll upload photo's eventually).

My latest project, which I was planning on saving for the ETL, is a Shadow War: Armageddon kill team. Praetorians have always been a love of mine since watching Zulu with my dad when I was young and the low model count of SW:A makes it cheaper to field such expensive models.

So far I've purchased a Sergeant and a Autocannon team (more of an impulse buy as I can't use the Autocannon in SW:A).

Praetorian Sgt Unpainted

Praetorian Autocannon Unpainted

I have plans to extend the squad to allow me to use them in SW:A and as a veteran squad for regular 40k.

My plans for using them in SW:A are as one of the following teams:

Team 1:
    Vet Sgt - Camo Gear, Carapace, Chainsword, Laspistol
    Vet x2 - Camo Gear, Carapace, Lasgun
    SWO - Camo Gear, Carapace, Grenade Launcher (Krak and Frag)
    Guardsman x5 - Flak armour, Lasgun

Team 2:
    Vet Sgt - Camo gear, carapace, chainsword, bolt pistol (red dot)
    Vet x2 - Camo gear, carapace, shotgun (red dot)
    Vet - Camo gear, carapace, clip harness, Lasgun (red dot, telescopic)
    SWO - Camo gear, carapace, Grenade Launcher (frag)
    SWO - Camo gear, carapace, Plasma gun (red dot)

What do you guys think? I made the first team after my regular opponent noted that his Skitari would outnumber my second team.

I love praetorians. There are a number of people that do parts for them, the best being victoria miniatures.

List wise favour boys over toys. The more guys shooting the better you are. I'd drop the camo gear for starters- Praetorians are known for their bright highly visible uniforms. 

I love praetorians. There are a number of people that do parts for them, the best being victoria miniatures.

If I ever plan on expanding them into an army, I'll definitely take a look at Victoria Miniatures, but for the minute I'll stick with the old metal models on eBay.

List wise favour boys over toys. The more guys shooting the better you are. I'd drop the camo gear for starters- Praetorians are known for their bright highly visible uniforms. 

That's what I was thinking with my first team, I realised this when my friend pointed out that his Skitari would outnumber my second team!

Thanks for the response, feedback is always welcome!

After taking a look at Victoria Miniatures, I am really tempted to get the Captain Cain model. It is so tempting but at $15 (£12 for one model is a bit steep) it's cheaper than most of the Praetorian models. Maybe next month...

http://product-images.highwire.com/12353679/caine-resin-2.jpg

I like this idea.

One thing to remember though is Carapace gives 4+ over the 5+ of flak but you will be at -1 initiative. Initiative is used to resolve ties in close combat and recovering from a Pinned result when a kill team member attempts to assist then recovering.

Starting off you may be better off going for more guardsmen and then getting the carapace armour as the campaign progresses. 

Ok, thanks for the advice guys!

I've narrowed the list down to:

Vet sgt - Camo, Carapace, Clip harness, Bolt pistol, Power Sword (I'll be using the Captain Cain model)

Vet x3 - Carapace, Shotgun

Guardsman x6 - Flak armour, Lasgun

I went with numbers over firepower.

I'll start painting some models soon, I just need to order a few paints from GW and some more Praetorians from eBay when I get back from my holiday (In the mean time I promise I'll work on my regular guard and get some pictures uploaded!)

If you drop two of the guardsmen and the carapace on you sgt you could get a special weapons guy which would give you a bit of punch. I'm starting with 10 guys but its probably better to start with 8/9. Thats because you get 100 after the first round to spend on re-enforcements.

If you drop two of the guardsmen and the carapace on you sgt you could get a special weapons guy which would give you a bit of punch. I'm starting with 10 guys but its probably better to start with 8/9. Thats because you get 100 after the first round to spend on re-enforcements.

I was thinking of this but one special weapon could easily be pinned, so I figured more men means that my opponent can't pin them all!

Right, I've put in an order to get the paints I need (I can't believe I don't have any blue paints) so once they arrive I'll be able to start painting the Praetorians and next month I can buy some more of those expensive, small, metal soldiers!

Archived